News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

removing the front seat 1967 SDV

Started by badpoints, December 01, 2022, 10:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpoints

It would be nice to remove the front seat to clean the interior and look under the rug. I am not worried about unbolting the seat. I am concerned with removing the seat from the car. It is a big and heavy seat. Obviously a two person job I would think. Does the seat fit out the door easily. I am assuming it would go out the passenger side. I am worried that if I need to wrestle with the seat to get it out I may damage the interior.

Dave Shepherd

If you tip the seat just right, it clears the door.

Michael Petti

If you loosen the bolts you can tip the seat back and prop it up with a 2x4 between the seat and the floor you can do what you want to do without removing the seat. Just a suggestion if don t have that second person and less chance of damage.

badpoints

Great idea! This will motivate me to remove the carpets and paint the floor and add new padding. I will also be able to clean the carpet much better out of the car.

Michael Petti

Loosen the seat and remove the carpet before using the 2x4. Thats what I did. I had to install 6-way power seat parts.

fishnjim

Yes, expect it to be heavy, more so if electric.  I had to use a mobile crane to put the manual '58 seat in myself.  The carpet wasn't good/stripped going out, so I man handled it.   Make sure you have plenty of clearance for the seat once the door is open also.  Best two men so it can be lifted and carried out.
You'll need to take the back seat out and probably side panels if you want to remove the carpet to have it cleaned outside the car.  You may not like what you find with the carpet out if there's rust going on you don't see with the carpet covering.  Also it's another place wiring gets abused.  I thought I had mine fixed, but with set out, opened up another patch job before carpet.  So plan accordingly.

Michael Petti

Fishin Jim is right. Allow time for other issues that may crop up. I found rusty floorboards I had to repair before reinstalling the carpet.

badpoints

I took out the front seat. I could not figure out how to remove the head rests without taking apart the seat. It was crazy tight. I had to rotate the seat 180 and then remove. Could only work because it is a hardtop. No holes in the floor but I was shocked to find an old patch in the floor. It had to of been when the original owner, my uncle, had the car. Maybe the A.C. leaked or something. He only had it serviced at the dealer. The patch looks semi professional and is still good. Time to clean the seat.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will need the Shop Manual, or the Fisher Body Service Manual to get the proper instructions for the removal of the Head Rests.

Once you realise how the secondary spring holds them in place, it will be easy.

Not sure if they are the same as the '69 Cadillac, but these are there so not just anyone can lift them out and throw them away.

Pictured is the '69 sliding tube and mounting frame, and somewhere low down there is the spring latch to retain them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

badpoints

Seat cleaned and the floor is painted. Had three people when removing the seat. I think I will need four to install. The patch in the floor was the heat vent that went to the rear seat under the front. It must of collapsed or something, strange.

badpoints

Progress is slow because the garage is too cold. Did put down some yoga mat.

badpoints

Have all the seats back in. Spent about 200 hours cleaning the seats and carpet and painting the floor. Still have some more detailing left.

Michael Petti