News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I Need to Store an Engine and Transmission for a period of time

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, November 24, 2010, 09:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

I recently Purchased a original 1957 Cadillac Engine and Transmission .Complete with Starter , Generator , carburetor , Air Cleaner , Etc.  the complete  setup .  Fortunately i do not need them for my 57 Cadillac because it runs just fine after having the Engine completely rebuilt about 3 years ago .  It cost me 900.00 Plus 210.00 for shipping . at total Price of 1,110.10 .I was told the engine and trans has a total of 62,000 miles and ran very well . this comes from a reliable source . I  have no plan to rebuild the engine or transmission  at this time , but want to store it for the future , in case i might need it . It is in a climate controlled environment . I have built stands for the Engine and trans so they can be moved with very little effort . So far the only thing i have done was remove the Generator , starter , and plugs to make sure the engines turns over . everything look OK . any suggestions to keep this engine and trans stored so it does not Seize up or any other problems that can be avoided from being stored . 
I have added a Picture
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

TJ Hopland

Are you hoping to be able to just put this engine in a car and run it at some point?   Or do you just want to keep it from getting rusty so that perhaps it will just need a teardown, cleanup, and new gaskets to put back into service?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello TJ... that is a good question. However  i am not 100% sure at this time .
I guess that is why i am asking the question . Right now i am glad i have this engine  and trans . i do not want to get this thing rebuilt now and have it setting for years .  I just want to perserve what i have now .  I feel good knowing that i have it just in case .
Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 24, 2010, 09:36:42 AM
Are you hoping to be able to just put this engine in a car and run it at some point?   Or do you just want to keep it from getting rusty so that perhaps it will just need a teardown, cleanup, and new gaskets to put back into service?
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you are going to store it for a long time, then I would be advising you to remove the Spark Plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders, and replace the plugs.

Then remove the Rocker Covers and loosen the Rocker shafts to remove all pressure from the open Valves, so that all Valves are fully seated on their seats, and the Springs are at their widest position.   This will save the springs of the open valves from just sitting fully or partially  compressed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Thank you Bruce , That makes a lot of sence to me .I like the idea of taking the pressure off the springs , but how about turning the crank once a month  With the rockers loose . Good or Bad Idea ?
Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on November 24, 2010, 05:24:26 PM
If you are going to store it for a long time, then I would be advising you to remove the Spark Plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders, and replace the plugs.

Then remove the Rocker Covers and loosen the Rocker shafts to remove all pressure from the open Valves, so that all Valves are fully seated on their seats, and the Springs are at their widest position.   This will save the springs of the open valves from just sitting fully or partially  compressed.

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on November 24, 2010, 09:32:30 PM
Thank you Bruce , That makes a lot of sence to me .I like the idea of taking the pressure off the springs , but how about turning the crank once a month  With the rockers loose . Good or Bad Idea ?   
I personally think it is a bad idea, as any turning of the crank, unless to start the engine and run it, is going to cause the rings to scrape the cylinder walls, and the bearings to rub themselves on the crankshaft journals as there is no oil pressure being built up to take the bearings away from the Crank, or oil thrown up from the Crank to lubricate the Cylinder Walls.

Rotating the Crank by hand will go more damage than good.

It is hard enough rotating the crankshaft as the engine is being assembled, but the use of a pre-lube grease helps protect the bearings and Cam Lobes/Lifters, and the Piston and Rings are fully covered with fresh oil.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

What if one was to crank it with the starter long enough to build oil pressure after a squirt or 2 of oil into the cylinders?   This assumes that the configuration is such that it can have the starter mounted without the transmission.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Bill Balkie 24172

When i said i crank the engine , it is by turning the crank pulley with a wrench . .. What would be the best type of oil to use into the spark plugs.
Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 25, 2010, 08:37:49 AM
What one was to crank it with the starter long enough to build oil pressure after a squirt or 2 of oil into the cylinders?   This assumes that the configuration is such that it can have the starter mounted without the transmission.
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

What would be the best type of oil to squirt into the spark plug holes ?  Also should this engine be wrapped in a plastic  sheet ? Good or Bad Idea ?   I called a couple of transmission shops and asked them if they could check out the the trans ..   They both responded with the same answer ... we do not check the trans out of the car you would have to pay for a rebuild ..    The trans oil smells unburnt and is nice and bright red .   So i guess i will take my chances , if i ever need a transmission I'll try it out the way it is .  Happy Thanksgiving to All .   Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

TJ Hopland

I was just posing the question about cranking it with the starter to see what others opinions would be.   Me personally would never remember to regularly do anything to a stored engine. 

Lately for engine assembly and storage I have been using straight Lucas oil additive.  I got that tip from a shop I had some work done in.   Its pretty sticky stuff so I assume the theory is it will stick longer than regular oil.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

dadscad

You stated you are going to store the engine and transmission in a climate controlled area. That's a good move, it will help to prevent condensation forming from rapid temperature and humidity swings. If it were mine, I don't think I'd wrap either unit in plastic. Even in a controlled environment, this would trap moisture and not allow air circulation to help it to evaporate quickly. I think covering it with towels/blankets or something that would breath but keep dust and dirt out would be a better way to go. Maybe someone will chime in with better knowledge on storage for engines and transmissions.

HTH,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Wrapping anything in plastic is a no-no.   A bit like covering a car with a cheap Blue tarp that one buys at the supermarkets.   I call these the Blue Tarps of Death, as many a vehicle with good paint will not have it any more when the cover is pulled off.   Better off leaving it uncovered.

I once purchased an engine that hadn't been used for a long time, and it was stored in a bloke's garage, and was covered securely in a blanket, and old carpet and when the covers were removed, it was perfect.   No rust, corrosion of the Aluminium pieces, and looked as though it had been removed from the car yesterday.

Cover it up, but to keep out dirt and muck, not to seal it from the environment completely, because any moisture inside the covering will eventually ruin it.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe