News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 CDV no spark

Started by Claudio, March 18, 2023, 12:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

I'm the proud owner of a
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
It has rust...!!! But I'll do a separate post about that....

I'm trying to get it running... engine harness has been butchered... power wires going nowhere... multiple bare splices on one wire... extra wires that are not factory... headlights controlled by a switch under the dash... had to disconnect the wiper motor because I couldn't turn them off...

I replaced plugs... wires... cap and rotor... coil... crank no start... no spark ⚡️... found a make shift kill switch... still no spark ⚡️... went in the distributor and checked/cleaned the points... got it to pop... but the ceramic resistor is smoking... I thought 59's didn't have resistors... ?? So that's where I stopped...
Ideas...?
Thanks
Also can I swap out the Rochester ( it's hurting... ) for a carter carb with having to change intake manifold...?? If yes anyone have one...??
Pictures are before I did anything..... I'll get new pictures tomorrow....

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Use the wiring diagram to connect up correctly or rewire the ignition circuit. You need to rip out all the botched up wiring in the car otherwise you stand a chance of having a fire. Good luck!

Claudio

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on March 18, 2023, 03:15:37 AMUse the wiring diagram to connect up correctly or rewire the ignition circuit. You need to rip out all the botched up wiring in the car otherwise you stand a chance of having a fire. Good luck!

I believe this engine harness is available ( engine only.... ) but how do I modify it for an alternator ( it has an alternator... ) and then the coil gets its special wire....

fishnjim

The carb should fit the same manifold so long as the base size is the same.  390 went to a larger cfm carb.  May need some different linkage.
Out of the box solution would be an Edelbrock performer series but will take some linkage adapting.  Same as a Carter AFB.
Unless the Rochester core is "rotted" it should be rebuildable.
Also check the grounding straps to make sure the negative ground circuit has continuity.  Having just positive correct won't help.  You can add a temporary ground wire direct to the battery if body is "flaky".

I'll reserve judgement on how proud one should be with that issues list. Definitely will keep you busy.   But inconic design just to observe for pleasure as is.   Enjoy the ride.

Claudio

Quote from: fishnjim on March 18, 2023, 09:53:17 AMThe carb should fit the same manifold so long as the base size is the same.  390 went to a larger cfm carb.  May need some different linkage.
Out of the box solution would be an Edelbrock performer series but will take some linkage adapting.  Same as a Carter AFB.
Unless the Rochester core is "rotted" it should be rebuildable.
Also check the grounding straps to make sure the negative ground circuit has continuity.  Having just positive correct won't help.  You can add a temporary ground wire direct to the battery if body is "flaky".

I'll reserve judgement on how proud one should be with that issues list. Definitely will keep you busy.   But inconic design just to observe for pleasure as is.   Enjoy the ride.

I believe the 1959 390 came with either a Rochester or a carter carburetor.....?? And I prefer a carter..... ( my 59 Fleetwood had a carter but its engine was from a '60...?? So that's why I'm asking...
The edelbrock is great but I don't want the linkage headaches....!!!

The temp ground wire from battery neg to...???
Oh and thank you for the help....
And no matter how you slice it I have a 59CDV....!!! So that alone makes me happy enough to make it better...?? Lol 😝...

Clewisiii

The Carter carb requires an additional thin metal plate with the carb insulator/spacer.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Jon S

Quote from: Clewisiii on March 18, 2023, 11:06:53 AMThe Carter carb requires an additional thin metal plate with the carb insulator/spacer.

Correct. Additionally, the fuel line is different between the Carter and the Rochester and you will need to obtain or fabricate a different line from the gas filter to the carburetor.  The Rochester has a connection in the front, whereas the carter connection is toward the rear passenger side.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Claudio

Quote from: Jon S on March 18, 2023, 12:27:52 PMCorrect. Additionally, the fuel line is different between the Carter and the Rochester and you will need to obtain or fabricate a different line from the gas filter to the carburetor.  The Rochester has a connection in the front, whereas the carter connection is toward the rear passenger side.

Yes I want to go the carter way....
This was the setup in my 59 Fleetwood but it had a '60 390 w/ a carter carb..... ( the picture below... )
Is there a difference in intakes between both carburetors...??

Claudio

Has anyone changed out the engine harness...??

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: Claudio on March 18, 2023, 09:13:26 AMI believe this engine harness is available ( engine only.... ) but how do I modify it for an alternator ( it has an alternator... ) and then the coil gets its special wire....
Sorry, I don't know as I've never done that conversion. I believe it is an easy conversion that uses less wires than the original generator and separate control box wiring. Phil

Claudio

UPDATE
Engine harness ordered... ( I'll have it in a few days... ) In addition to the tuneup I also replaced the points with Pertronix..... that should get me running........ then I'll either rebuild this carburetor...?? Or swap it for a carter ( which also was available for the 59 390... ) can't do anything else until I have parts so I'll be doing a post about the body and the rust....!! I'm definitely gonna need some help with that.....

THANK YOU

signart

You can rebuild that Rochester, it's a simple carburetor, simple to build. It's as good as any factory carburetor. Get a kit, buy a book, watch videos and take pictures, you can do it. Clean, clean clean.
Art D. Woody

fishnjim

Maybe I wasn't clear.  Edelbrock bought the Carter AFB business, so they're performer is the same as an AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) which what was on your'60. 
You'll have the same linkage issue with a Rochester to Carter swop, so you need the linkage for the Carter.   Nothing wrong with the Rochester that probably can't be fixed.
The manifold is the same as before.
See parts list below.  I didn't find the linkage page, but short on time.

Claudio

I have the engine harness but I can't find all of the connections... ?
Has anyone else replaced there's...?
Or does anyone know what/where all the connections are... ? The wiring diagram is of little help because it shows everything and I need to find the specific connections that are in the engine harness.....
Thank you
                          UPDATE
Harness is installed.... Engine starts now.... But only if I pour gas ⛽️ into the carburetor..... I need to replace the fuel tank.. lines... and possibly the carburetor..... but I must first replace the trunk floor and then I'll be able to install a new tank......

cadman59

Maybe this will be of help in relation to your rust (not mine, and I have no relation wit the seller):

https://1959cadillacsheetmetal.com/1959-cadillac-parts-list
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper