News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Some hope for saving our classic cars

Started by Lexi, March 22, 2023, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

This recent Hagerty's article on the development of e-fuels suggests that there is hope to keep our vintage Cadillacs on the road in the future. Seems to make sense instead of the herd mentality rush to exclusively pursue the EV route, without checking other boxes. Have a look at this article titled; "Can E-Fuels Save Classic Cars?". Clay/Lexi

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/can-e-fuels-save-classic-cars/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MED_UN_NA_EML_UN_UN_DailyDriver_Wednesday&hashed_email=a019d699043992cde6f51a9e00dfd63d5b8614d136f361c072c039f7d52c12af

TJ Hopland

I don't see lack of fuel to be the first problem we will have,  I'm not going to worry about that till a majority of the cars I see around me are electric and even then I think there will be several years before its really hard to come by. 

It seems right now the issue is quality of parts rapidly going down.  Rebuilding an engine appears to be a huge gamble these days but even the external part quality seems to be terrible.   Look at how often we are having to replace things on our Sunday drivers as often as they used to get replaced when they were daily drivers and thats assuming we actually got the part to fit and work in the first place. How about tires?  That seems to be just like the rest of the parts where what we can get seems to be questionable quality.         
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lexi

Yes, the availability of parts is more of an immediate threat, rather than speculating on what may take place on the fuel/ICE side of things. But some are invested in this subject and I was interested to read that the future of the automobile with respect to carbon emissions was seen as multi faceted. The author noted that the future will probably dictate that e-cars, e-fuel and ICE vehicles will have to all play a role. The quality of replacement parts is another story, which is sadly never ending. Like do I replace my prematurely "browned" wide white Cokers with more of the same? Too much for my noodle! Clay/Lexi

59-in-pieces

Lexi, 

Great article - a bit of an emotional rollercoaster - it will happen, oh no it wont that kinda thing.

I must confess that I didn't know right off how EV & ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) cars were at odds with one another.
Oh, Internal Combustion Engine, I get it.

I looked into what it would take to covert the EBZ to electric, by a shop in Orange County, south of me.
Trunk is big enough for the the battery packs and room for the motors up front, sorta like an Olds Toronado, front wheel drive.
However, the cost at that time - fell into the category of - do I really want to keep driving the car.

Then there is that cow F....RT issue that will kill the ozone, so prepare to become a vegetarian, vegan, non-gutenian.

It's all too much for this old guy.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Lexi

LOL. Maybe we can harness all that bovine methane gas and power our Cadillacs? Clay/Lexi