News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Turn signal switch

Started by CarsandDrums68, July 20, 2016, 06:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarsandDrums68

Hey guys,

I have a 1968 DeVille Convertible and my right (passenger) blinker stopped working. I thought it might have just been the flasher but the left blinker and hazards work. Could this be that the turn signal switch went bad?
Thanks,
Al

TJ Hopland

Since brake and hazard work that should rule out the wiring and lamps.  That does kinda point to the turn signal switch.   Its was routes the signals around between brake and turn.     Is 68 got the key in the column or still on the dash?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CarsandDrums68

the ignition switch is on the dash

TJ Hopland

That is a good thing, means less stuff involved in getting to the switch.    Have you looked to see if the switch is available?   Probably like most steering related Cadillac items no tilt and tele its a $25 part at any store but for us its going to be $150 if its even available.

Since it should not be too hard to access it may be worth a look to see if there is anything obvious that could maybe be repaired.    I would guess by that time they were plastic so may not be much that can be done if its cracked or worn.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

CarsandDrums68

Thanks im gonna do some tests too and make sure. Its available on rockauto for 90 bucks, so it it is a part that you can get.

Thanks again,

Al

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Al,
The switch fits 67/68 Cadillac's with tilt & telly ONLY!!! It's  VERY hard to find. The cheap ones do NOT have the wiring for the cornering lights & who knows what else. And... there's 2 different ones, Delco & Boyne Products. Be careful.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

When you say the turn signal is not working, does one of the lights come on?  On these cars if one light bulb burns out the flasher will not work.  Check both front and rear light bulbs. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

R Schroeder

Ditto on what Glen said. Bulb don't work, then turn signal wont work.

TJ Hopland

Good question.   I took 'hazards work' to mean that when the hazards are on the front, dash, and rear lights all light.   How many bulbs are in each side of the back on that car?   Some cars have 2 or 3 lamps in each tail light so 1 of the 3 burning out can be enough to slow down or stop the flash but not really be noticeable.

After Bob posted I looked at Rock Auto and their part says w/o tilt tele.   I presume your car is T & T?

I suspect its a 2 year only item because I think 67 was when the hazard and collapsible column became required which could have changed the switch and then 69 was locking steering which moved the key to the column.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

CarsandDrums68

I actually dont have Tilt and tele so thats why i think i will buy it from rock auto. thereare no bulbs out anywhere and when i took the steering wheel off the is a very noticeable wire that is broken so i think that is my problem. again thanks for the wisdom everyone!!

-Al

TJ Hopland

That is a good break that you don't have tilt and tele if it comes to replacing it.

Is it something that could be soldered back on?  Did the wire just crack where it comes off the crimped terminal?     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

CarsandDrums68

i tried to put a connector wire in to fix it but it actually made it worse, hah, no no blinkers work. i already bought the switch and plan to replace it. which is kinda better because one of the tabs that make the lever click up is broken so i can fix two problems with on part.

Thanks

TJ Hopland

Its going to be like a new car.  You will be able to hang your arm out the window now.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV