News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Brake pedal adjustment

Started by 55 cadi, July 22, 2016, 07:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello again,

Please excuse my ignorance,  but is there a brake pedal adjustement?

To make it not so stiff when pressing down on, so there is a little more movement, but keeps the braking normal.

Reason i ask is that my pedal seem to have more pressing distance, but now not as much and my break lights are not coming on, lights work for all turn and driving.

I will be checking the switch this weekend but wanted to know about the pedal also while I'm at it.

Thank you

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

gary griffin

Jason,  I have never driven your year car but have driven a lot of 50's cars including my 1957 60-S .

I have never seen a brake pedal adjustment. As the pedal travels down further indicating shoe wear adjusting the brake shoes will adjust the pedal so it does not travel too far down

Too stiff? Do you mean it takes too much force to stop? That would be a brake booster problem, possibly vacuum leak or vacuum hose leak.

Brake lights is probably a switch problem since the turn signals are working. I would check the wiring first because if you have to change the brake light switch you may have to bleed the brakes.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

Didn't some of the 50's brake systems have quite a bit of linkage involved?  Like the treadle and hydravacs?   Seems like the more links the more places for things to bind or get loose.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

The Treddle-Vac has adjustable linkage behind the brake pedal.  A threaded rod with 2 nuts.  There are specific adjustment instructions in the Shop Manual.

If the 55 is similar to my 58, make the rod a spec shorter.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

walt chomosh #23510

J,
  The 1955 Cadillac has an adjustable link between the pedal linkage and master cylinder. Be advised NOT to take up too much pedal travel because it will lead to brakes dragging followed by lockup! (I know, been there and done that both on my Cadillac and once a Harley) Brake pedal "free travel" is absolutely necessary....check your manual.
  Quick story: I adjusted my brake light switch in my garage and it worked. (Little did I know but my gas tank outlet was plugging due to the PO "sealing" the tank....this resulted in my car dying at a bad time that night) Problem is there was some air in the brake system and little did I know but once the brakes were pumped a few times the pedal would no longer work the light switch resulting in NO BRAKE LIGHTS! (unable to pump brakes to warn oncoming motorist!) Then, add a dark highway with my wife late at night(both of us wearing dark clothes with only a mini mag for light.....it wasn't pretty. We were stuck on a bridge with no lights(65MPH speed limit and NO lane to pull over) so I would push until another car would approach then run and pray for the driver and it's occupants. Fortunately, I finally made it across the bridge. Bottom line is my brake lights were inoperative due to my adjustment along with air in my system. (I've added period correct 4-way flashers since the incident) My prayers were answered that night, no lives lost!....walt...Tulsa,ok 

Jon S

Brakes will drag if the rod is lengthened. I recommended he shorten the rod a spec and that should give more pedal travel and the brake lights should work again
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

55 cadi

Thanks for inputs

Walt, 
i hear what your saying, i to have purchased a period correct 4- way flasher to install in case of emergency.
I broke down on a road on the downhill just past the top of small hill, no shoulder and speed limit was 45 or 50 and yes there were a couple close calls from people not paying attention, on top of that it was getting to be dusk, so I was there with my light flashing people.

Jon, 
I will look again in book to see what your talking about, so it is a very minimal adjust can be done?

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Jon S

Jason

Yes. Maybe 1 - 2 turns of the nit to shorten the rod length. Mark wkere it is now and adjust in 1 turn increments
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT