News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Eldorado - what's this exhaust noise?

Started by Lockhouse, September 15, 2022, 11:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockhouse

Hi,

I wondered what the forum thought of this noise coming from the right exhaust on my all original '55 Eldo?

It sounds like a misfire but I thought it may be a fuel issue. It's intermittent, sometimes it can go five minutes without it happening. It happens more warm then cold. It never happens on the left side.

I replaced the plugs, HT leads and coil and it's made no difference. The old plugs were a little black but not too much and all dry. The car is in all round good condition but has been standing for a long time and needs a proper run. The video was taken after a 20 minute run around the block several times. If anything I would say the car is a little low on power but I've got nothing to compare it against.

I'm in the UK and I'm running on high performance (over here it's 98 RON) ethanol free unleaded.

Any ideas what it might be or what I can check?

Thanks,

Andrew

Cadillac Jack 82

Timing or valve not fully closing/seating.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Lockhouse

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 15, 2022, 11:16:18 AMTiming or valve not fully closing/seating.

Thanks for the reply.

Assuming the timing is OK, as the car has been sitting for a while is it likely that I've got a stuck valve?

If I have, will taking the car out for a proper run help free it up?

klinebau

The idle mixture might be a bit too lean causing intermittent misfires.  You might try enriching the idle mixture screws slightly to see if the issue goes away.  Keep track of the number of turns so that you can set it back if needed.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Steve Lomas

Andrew, I noticed the same thing in my '75 Eldorado a few weeks ago- getting progressively worse.

Similarly it was intermittent, happening more the hotter it gets. I also changed the plugs (wires are new) - altered the mixture screws- no difference there.

Then I noticed it smoothed out completely if I half closed the choke plate on the carb. So apparently it was not sucking enough gas- but idle mixture made no difference..

So I poured about half a can of Sea Foam down the carb and let it sit for about 20 mins. Then restarting the issue cleared up noticeably, still not perfect- so I'm guessing the carb just needs a good clean. May be something else entirely in your case but worth closing the choke as a test.

Lockhouse

Good suggestions re the choke and carb adjustment thanks. I'm driving to a car show tomorrow so assuming I make it there and back I'll have a much better idea of cause\effect.

Steve Lomas

Quote from: Lockhouse on September 15, 2022, 03:04:52 PMGood suggestions re the choke and carb adjustment thanks. I'm driving to a car show tomorrow so assuming I make it there and back I'll have a much better idea of cause\effect.

Awesome, take some photos!

-is it just happening at idle? or with revs also?

Lockhouse

Quote from: Steve Lomas on September 15, 2022, 03:17:17 PMAwesome, take some photos!

If we make it I'll do my best!

Quote from: Steve Lomas on September 15, 2022, 03:17:17 PM-is it just happening at idle? or with revs also?

As far as I can tell just at idle but I'll know more after taking her on the motorway tomorrow.

Thanks

Lockhouse

Well she made it! There and back, nearly 100 miles including 90 minutes in stationary traffic. There's a little misfire and a lack of power going uphill over 50 (which I'll look at next week), but all things considered, the old girl done good.

caddy.jpg

Steve Lomas

Beautiful!!  Love the paint. Glad to hear she made the trip OK- and you got some roof-down weather.

If there's a little stumble on a long incline I'd maybe suspect the fuel filter to start with something simple, but plenty guys here who know a lot more about this era than I do.

Caddy Wizard

The misfire noise in the right exhaust could be ignition.  Probably not fuel, since it isn't happening on the left side.  Check to see if the plug wires are properly guided (held slightly apart from one another).  If wires are touching, you can get an induced back current in one wire from the current flowing in an adjacent wire.  So for example, when the spark is traveling down one wire toward the plug, it creates a magnetic field that induces a current to flow in the opposite direction in an adjacent wire if that wire is too close to the first wire.  This rearward flowing current can interfere with a spark that is trying to come down that second wire shortly after the first one fired.

Bottom line is that Cadillac used wire separators for a reason.  If yours are missing and the wires are just bunched together, you can get some funny misfires that are hard to track down...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

fishnjim

What a good engine analyzer was for.  I don't go by sounds, could be anything from a bad muffler hanger to deep in the engine.
I'd tune it up first and see how it goes.  May just need exercised from sitting.
Can always pull that side valve cover and have a look see.