News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door Lock Striker Bushings

Started by benji808, September 22, 2022, 01:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Was having issues with the door rattling while driving, so I adjusted the hang of the door a bit (loosening/retightening the bolts with a bit of pressure on the underside of the door), and also replaced the striker. Door opened and closed great for maybe a year, but is starting to do it again. When I checked the striker, I noticed that the door has carved a ring around the plastic bushing (see picture - a new bushing is "flat" with no indentation).

I replaced it with another one (they're fairly cheap and easy to replace), but I am wondering if there is a better solution that replacing the striker/bushing every year.

Were the originals also plastic, or is there a metal/other bushing available?
Any other experiences or ideas?

harvey b

Your door needs to have the hinges re-bushed,the hinges are allowing the door to sag,it is putting extra pressure on the striker pin,that is why it is wearing faster?.It is relatvely easy to rebuild your hinges,but it is not a job for someone who has never done them before,maybe try a bodyshop and see if they are interested?. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Benjamin,

What is the condition of your Door hinges?  The bushings that is.

If you open the door, about a foot, then standing at the back of the door, grab the bottom of said door, and see how high you can lift it from the standing position.  If it moves upward any small amount, then I would say that the bushings need replacement.

These doors are HEAVY, and after a lot of opening and closing, the bronze hinge pin bushings wear out.

Next, have a look at your door locks, and see how worn they are.  If they are as bad as mine were, as in the pictures, then this also indicates worn bushings.

I rebuilt my locks for both sides of the car and can show more pictures.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

benji808

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 22, 2022, 09:21:00 PMG'day Benjamin,

What is the condition of your Door hinges?  The bushings that is.

If you open the door, about a foot, then standing at the back of the door, grab the bottom of said door, and see how high you can lift it from the standing position.  If it moves upward any small amount, then I would say that the bushings need replacement.

These doors are HEAVY, and after a lot of opening and closing, the bronze hinge pin bushings wear out.

Next, have a look at your door locks, and see how worn they are.  If they are as bad as mine were, as in the pictures, then this also indicates worn bushings.

I rebuilt my locks for both sides of the car and can show more pictures.

Thanks, Bruce! There may indeed be a bit of play on the driver's side door. Are there any special tools needed to remove the pins, or is it as simple as dropping the door, hammering them out and sliding new bushings on?

The Tassie Devil(le)

They can be removed without the door being completely removed from the car, as that would mean interfering with the wiring loom.

I got my bushings from RockAuto, and once the hinges are off the car, it can be seen which way the pins come out, the way they are retained, and a matter of replacing the bushings, pins and reinstalling.  Don't forget to re-stake the pins so they don't come out.

The hinge with the spring for retaining the door in the open position is a bit harder, as the spring has to be removed without it flying off.  I tethered it with a piece of welding wire.

With the aid of a friend, to steady the door when the hinges removed, I supported the door as in the second picture.

It is possible to remove the hinges with normal tools, and a bit of dexterity with the hands and fingers, but take precautions to not let the door fall away, or overstretch the wiring loom.

Lastly, there should be a brass wedge attached to the back of the door to assist in taking some strain off the hinges when the door is closed, as well as stopping the door from rattling when closed.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

benji808

harvey b

Do not remove the hinge from the door post,they can be done without removing them from the car,it will be a lot easier to align the door after the pins are replaced.The hinge is lined up from the factory,the door will slide back far enough to get at the hinges,have a helper hold it from falling over.You can buy a tool to help remove and install the big spring,it is easy to remove but impossible to install without the tool,they are cheap to buy,they fit a lot of GMs through the years.Try an auto parts store for the pins and bushings,most have a box of different pins and bushings,the bushing holes may be worn egg shape,you will need to file it round and use a oversize bushing then,look on youtube for some videos of people doing it,that should give you some pointers too. harveyb
Harvey Bowness