News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thoughts on dash clock ('75 Eldorado)

Started by benji808, September 27, 2022, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

About a year ago I removed the clock, opened it up, cleaned and oiled it, tested and reinstalled. It's worked well for most of this past year, but now is starting to intermittently stick again. I've tried this with 3 or 4 of these clocks, and I think a year is the longest I've gotten one to keep going.

Any "magic" ideas that work to keep these running? I've also read about people upgrading to quartz...any information or vendors who do that?

It's not too hard to pull it again, but I hate to do the work and put the wear and tear on the dashboard (and especially the air vents LOL) if it's not going to work in the long run.

bcroe

I went to solid state conversion many decades ago.  But the failure point on the originals seems to be the contact to rewind the spring.  If that is true, a transistor amp could be added to take the stress off the contact.  In fact, the contact may not even be needed, just hit the coil for the right number of mil seconds, at the right interval.  Someone ought to try it.  Bruce Roe

benji808

Interesting... what do you mean "solid state"?

bcroe

Quote from: benji808\Interesting... what do you mean "solid state"?

I believe clocks with a crystal time base and a digital display became available in the 70s, and some went into my cars.  Later on, a radio with digital tuning AM/FM stereo, a cassette player, and a clock display became my standard.  Bruce Roe

benji808

If you have any info on the crystal time/digital displays you used, I would be interested in that.

bcroe

Quote from: benji808If you have any info on the crystal time/digital displays you used, I would be interested in that.

Here is the conversion in my 62, I did have a push
button in the hole to light the display when the ign
was off.  Setting was done by a couple push buttons
I put on the other side.  It had a dim feature for
when you put the lights on.  More accurate than the
original. It is now a desk display at 219,699 miles. 
Since I bought it in the 70s, you will need to search
for the equivalent today.  If you really like this
one, I may still have a spare.  Bruce Roe