News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

manual 3 speed to hydramatic conversion?

Started by bigbry13, September 28, 2022, 06:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbry13

Hi all,
I currently own a 47 coupe with a hydramatic and I am looking at buying a 47 convertible. the convertible i am pondering has a 3 on the tree manual transmission which I am capable of driving, but my personal preference is for the automatic. has anyone converted the 3 speed to a hydramatic. id like to keep the car "stock" per se. any info would be appreciated.
Bryan
Bryan
CLC # 34220

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The 47 convertible  with a 3 speed manual is a RARE & desirable  bird. I would suggest you never convert it.
 Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bcroe

My advice is drive it as is, or find a hydro
parts car.  You will need so many different
parts, starting with the column with its lever,
throttle linkage, mounts, radiator connection
if that model used it, gear display, and more. 

If I was putting in an automatic, it would be
a TH400 which not only will perform better, but
be more reliable and FAR easier to find parts
and service for.  No throttle linkage. 
good luck, Bruce Roe

harry s

I agree with leaving it as is but if you were switching parts from your coupe to the conv and those back it would not be hard as you would have everything and also knowing how it fits or as suggested get a donor car. You would have to change the column linkage as suggested along with foot pedals, distributor tower, bell housing & clutch linkage. To be safe addition of a neutral safety switch. Another consideration is the rear axle ratio is different which would cause early and abrupt shifts in the hydramatic. There are probably some other items that would pop up.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

V63

I owned a 47 with 3 speed and it ended any possible preference for the hydro, they drive and shift so nicely.