News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cruise Control

Started by Paul, October 03, 2022, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Does anyone know if early cruise control setups- for 59 caddy and forward- use a standard system? I'm trying to understand if a '60 or later year units would work on my '59?  My understanding is that GM bought the units from a third party- Perfect Circle. Essentially, if a 60, 61 or 62 unit would work in my 59 that would be a great help- and broaden my options. Any thoughts are appreciated.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

cadillactim

In theory the 59-69 systems work the same. But early units used a three wire set up and later used four wires. Other differences are throttle rods, mounting configuration and thumbwheel/cable assemblies.

A 1960 would be the most likely unit to also work on your 1959. Those minor differences could most likely be easy to adapt. The 60 is also a three wire unit.

Tim
Tim Groves

Paul

Tim thanks. Would a 63-64 unit work? As far as writing and the other differences you mentioned?
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

cadillactim

You would have to address mounting brackets, throttle rod, and thumbwheel switch mounting. The 63-64 switch will not fit the 60 dash correctly. The speedo cable from the transmission to the power unit would need to be checked for proper fit also.

Tim
Tim Groves