News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 Track Master brakes

Started by TJH clc 20664, July 31, 2006, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJH clc 20664

Hi All,  I just purchaced another 73 eldo convert mostly to use as a parts car and I noticed it has the track master logo on the brake pedal.  I did not take the time to look and see if the modulator or control module are still there but it got me wondering:

-when did the track master system come out?
-was it on other GM cars?
-how long did they make it?
-how many did they make?
-was it expensive?
-why did they quit?
-did it work?
-how hard was it to maintain back then?
-can you get parts today?

Thanks

TJ Hopland CLC#20664
73 eldo convert
St.Paul/Mpls MN USA

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday TJH,

Well, I can answer a couple of your questions.

Trackmaster was at least available on the 71 Eldorado.

And, does it work.   Oh yea.   And I had the necessity to be thankful of it twice when driving my 72 Eldo Coupe.   Once in the wet, on a corner of a sealed road, and the other on a straight road, with the passenger side wheels in the dirt, and the drivers side wheels on  the bitumen.

Both times, the car pulled up straight as a die, well, curvy in the first instance, but the control I had over the car was amazing.   And you have to remember that this was 15 years before ABS became available here on "normal" cars.

As far as maintenance, I didnt even know the car had it, and I am sure that the previous owners didnt realise it either, but when it worked, the vibrating pedal scared the ......out of me.   But, as I was concentrating on trying to avoid the impending spinout, and crunch that never occured, I was impressed, and delved deeper into the manual to see what it had, and did.   So, required maintenance?   I dont think there was any, but it still worked.

I will leave it for others to answer the rest of your questions.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Jim Skelly, CLC#15958

Track Master was first available on the 1970 Eldorado.  I think it was discontinued after the 1974 model year.  The 1975 Eldorado came with four-wheel disc brakes and TM was no longer available.  It was a rare option and Cadillac probably couldnt justify the expense of redesigning it for rear disc brakes.  

68 Eldorado, 77 Biarritz

Frank #12944

I just purchased a 76 Coupe dElegance that is loaded including the Trackmaster option. I have not yet tested it to see if it is still functioning.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Frank,

The best way to test it is to simply hit the brakes, really hard, and just as the wheels are locking up, the brake pedal will start to pulse very quickly under your foot, and the vehicle will stop straight.

At first, it is an un-nerving sensation, but once you realise what it is actually doing, you will appreciate the safety feature that you have.

If the vehicle just locks up and slides, then the system isnt operating.

Bruce,
The Tassie Dwevil(le),
60 CDV