News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Back on the road with The Ark

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, June 01, 2022, 01:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

After Michael fixing the door on Friday the 27th at the shop, we were back there bright and early the next day for the annual physical, oil change, etc. The
only thing The Man found not to his liking were the EB cables, he tightened them up. And he added an in-line fuel filter since the pump they put in 2 years
ago when they did the engine is a 'new' one and lacks the fuel filter compartment.

Home for a bath then out to our first show, opening night for my local club in Dennis, just a blast. Club members couldn't believe it was the same car. Out again the next day for the "Troops In The Spot Light" show. Just driving the car and loving it. "Beat on it, drive it like you stole it, it sat for too long."

And this is why:

Tried to take the car out Monday night, no start. All kinds of power, no start. I'm not killing the starter or battery, if he won't start twice with 3-4 second tries, I'm done and call for help. Saw Michael at the shop Tuesday, he said to spray a bunch of break cleaner into the carb and try to start it, let him know. If this fails I have another complete Pertronix in my trunk in a Faraday Defense bag. Tried this break cleaner thing, car started right up, then died. Guess its a fuel issue, yes it has gas in the tank. Michael will be HERE tonight to work his magic on The Ark in The Lair. I'm just thrilled Michael let 'me' try to do something with the car, I felt like Carroll Shelby for a few minutes.

ALWAYS better to have a major malfunction with the car at home vs 200 miles from home. "Drive it like you stole it".

What I found odd was the coil wasn't replaced when Reid's installed a new ignition. That's a failure waiting for a time to happen, I have no idea how old that coil is. There's a Pertronix dealer locally, they ordered the correct coil (40111, epoxy not oil) to go with this ignition (1181), its due here today, Michael can
whip that in.

If the Ark gets off the Injured Reserve List in time, we'll be at Gillette Stadium tomorrow night and a 'private show' my local club puts on for a high end retirement home on Saturday. We bring the cars, they grill the steak tips, its a good deal. Next big show is Heritage on the 11th.

Isn't this fun? Drive your cars... like you stole it.  ;)

I wonder if these pictures will post correctly like they do on every other forum, social media site... AND tonight I was able to add more pictures, 3 step process but OK, at least they posted correctly.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

James Landi

Laurie,

I'm thinking there's an issue with fuel NOT getting to the carburetor.  I recall that another filter was installed... has me wondering if there's a very minor vacuum leak where the filter was installed in the line..  You're correct about not cranking and cranking... hope it all turns out well.  Happy day, James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

James I concur. But the car's been running fine since I got it back, it ran fine Saturday/Saturday night after that fuel filter was installed, and all day Sunday. Only to have to have it fail 12 hours later. Something broke.

Did you see my Facebook post earlier? "Just in case" that fuel gauge suddenly failed I put another 5 gallons in it today, while its parked in the Lair. Where I have ZERO room to work with, its pretty funny. Now I have a half tank of fuel and no start. At least "lack of fuel" can be crossed off the list.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

dadscad

Wow! What an improvement to your car. Looks great.

If you have an Airtex mechanical fuel pump installed, my first guess would be that one of the valves failed or fell out of the pump body. I've had one do that (fall out) and there are several other instances where that has been the case. That brand is notorious for that failure.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: dadscad on June 02, 2022, 06:48:33 PMWow! What an improvement to your car. Looks great.

If you have an Airtex mechanical fuel pump installed, my first guess would be that one of the valves failed or fell out of the pump body. I've had one do that (fall out) and there are several other instances where that has been the case. That brand is notorious for that failure.

Its a 2 year old Delphi. I bought a NORS last night on eBay, that won't help me tomorrow night when Michael comes here after work to work on the car, "if" its the fuel pump. Thank you for the kudo's, long time coming.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I actually found a 'new' fuel pump out in the wild, at an Autozone an hour away, grabbed it just to have it in stock in case Michael needed it Saturday morning.

So I texted Michael Saturday at 8am, "good morning, I'm awake...". Thought for sure he'd text or call when he was on the way. I fell asleep again. Phone rings at 10am "You're all set" Who is this? "Its Michael, your car is all set" Michael? You're here? "I've been here, car's all set, hear it running?" (Argh... Am I dreaming?) Gimme a minute to get dressed, I'll be right there... "Sure was quiet working on the car without you being here...."  Mhm. Michael rules. He also replaced the existing coil (age, manufacturer unknown) with the correct Flame Thrower for this Pertronix system that I got a few days ago. Also noticed a new spring on the end of the throttle assembly, I think that goes to the fuel pump but I don't have the Good Book in here to look that up.

We were only 30 minutes late for the first event of the day, a carshow my club puts on annually for a very high end assisted living/retirement home. We bring the cars, they bring the barbq, its a good deal. A tad cool and cloudy so that kept the majority of the inmates in their rooms. The ones who braved the clouds enjoyed the cars, nice! And I noticed a fuel drip, crawled under the car and wiped up around the new fuel line Michael installed while I was asleep. The problem was the in-line fuel filter that was installed last Saturday, he took it out and replaced the line. In The Lair... without a lift. Texted Michael about the drip, he said he'd be in the shop all day, bring it by. So I did, he tightened something up, if I still see it dripping he said its the metal fuel line, he can replace that. Got a great pic of him up the Ark's butt at the shop... He asked if I was going to the Dennis cruise tonight, I am. "Kick its butt, get up on Route 6 and drive it like you stole it". I can follow an order, I'm ex-military. And as always I lost my nerve at 92mph with plenty of room left on the pedal and backed off. The *POWER* this car has now, its extraordinary. It always ran very well after the engine job, but now? Its like it has a super charger. The rear wheels feel like they want to squeal when you just touch the pedal, The Ark is tugging at the reins at a red light. When you start it the starter barely engages and the car is running. Can a (correct) coil make that much of a difference? I'll report, you decide.

Ran a bunch of errands with The Ark, home to cycle the dog, then out to event #2 of the day, my club's weekly cruise in, place was simply mobbed, what a blast!

This week the Shamrods have their first cruise in in Sandwich on Tuesday, great club, great people, and the pizza shop who sponsors their cruises actually has edible food. The huge Heritage Museum car show is this weekend, Saturday with a rain date of Sunday. Long range weather shows both days to be rain, fingers crossed that forecast changes.

Isn't this fun? Drive your car. *Like you stole it.

*And I understand why, this applies to cars that are DRIVERS vs garage ornaments. Shake the car up, if something is going fail, have it fail at home/close to home before that 100+ mile ride. If you've just replaced parts that are crucial to you driver's drivability, shake it up, make sure the car likes it. Versus the in-line fuel filter which The Ark didn't. I was lucky that car was home and could be repaired at home vs dying on me 100 miles away. 

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

2manycars

"Sure was quiet working on the car without you being here...." 

I actually did laugh my ass off out loud when I read that!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Bill the crapola that gets shoveled onto me at the shop by the boyz is relentless. I can ask the most innocent,
sincere question and it turns into a free for all, "let's mess with Laurie". If they didn't like me/the car, they wouldn't waste their time. And when a disaster has struck, Michael and boyz will drop everything and help me. Blessed to have Michael and those guys in my corner and call them friends. I would do anything for them.

Hey, took The Ark out tonight for the first time with the new headlights that were installed courtesy of my secret Santa. Here's the live video from tonight, you're riding with The Ark... I made the video "public" so if you're on Facebook you can view it. AND I checked under the car again where the fuel line was replaced before we left, dry as a bone. That must have been residual fuel from the surgery I saw or Michael tightened something up at the shop yesterday. YAY!

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1206043736811615

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Remembered the "Sham-rods" had their weekly cruise in Sandwich Tuesday night, off we went.
Just gorgeous weather for it. And a Coast Guard helo flew right over my head. My dad was a Coastie, in
WW2, on this day 78 years ago when he earned 2 Purple Hearts the hard way. A sign my dad is pleased with the
work on The Ark?

I noticed a slight vibration in the front right on the highway coming home, steering is solid, heck everything
has been replaced. Made an appointment to have Ryan re-balance that wheel tomorrow.

HUGE 'Heritage Museums and Gardens' show is Saturday in Sandwich, weather looks excellent. Isn't this fun??

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

Sis,

Ain't life grand.

I feel the same way - if I don't like you I don't waste my time screwing (joking around) with you.
Besides, I never considered you to be a powderpuff damsel.

Have fun,
Your Bro - Butchman
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on June 09, 2022, 07:57:24 PMSis,

Ain't life grand.

I feel the same way - if I don't like you I don't waste my time screwing (joking around) with you.
Besides, I never considered you to be a powderpuff damsel.

Have fun,
Your Bro - Butchman

Life IS grand Bro. "Inch by inch, life's a cinch"
Sis

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I spent 90 minutes rubbing on this car, grass clippings out of the tire treads, etc. Kamp Kraynick was set up under the trees with The Ark in full view. LONG Day but got home at a reasonable time. Oh jeez my back, but the day was worth the throbbing pain. Finally called in the *NURSE* when I got home, though she was on board with The Ark. The last thing I want to do is drive that car on pain killers. How much FUN was today at the Heritage Museums & Gardens 50th Annual Auto Show? Weather was a 12 on a scale of 1-10. One of the judges came over TO ME, where I was fully reclined on my super duper hot rodded beach chaise lounge and said he just loved my car, what a great job, etc. That was really nice, he didn't have to do that. The cars that won awards today were quite deserving. The Ark was MOBBED all day, people laughing at the show board as intended, and spending a lot of time staring at the car, a few took selfies with it. That's what I enjoy watching from a safe but tactical distance, seeing the public love the car, THAT is what its all about. Now I'm used to the drive off there, which brought me to tears the first time. Piloting 20' of 3+ ton 1970 Detroit steel down a mile of twisting and turning side walk with real car people ($20 admission fee) lined up on both sides taking pics and video takes all your attention, hope those folks don't think I'm a jerk for not responding to all the call outs and claps, I'm busy, I'm trying not to kill you. Very happy the re-balancing of that front right wheel yesterday at Cape Tire Service with Ryan Morrison solved the vibration I felt Tuesday night coming home. Hard to believe .75oz would cause such a shake. Usually sensing vibration is a positive thing, unless its a 52 year old car at 80mph+... Such a fun, LONG day, God I love doing this, so Blessed. Tuesday night for the 1st Upper Cape Cod Regional Technical School show of the year if the weather holds, never done this event before, heard its a good time and an appreciative audience. MY CLUB Cape Cod Classics Car Club had a cruise in tonight at Patriots Square in Dennis, I'm out. The Ark is sleeping already and I'm well over due for an outdoor shower before The Belmont Stakes. Bartender? And a shout out to crew chief Michael Amster, you keep us rolling brother, no matter what, and its appreciated. The Rebels and Rods wanted to know if we were coming to the Plymouth ocean front bright and early tomorrow for their weekly cruise in, I'm out. Too many shows in June right now (8), this has to be FUN, not a job, we'll get out there this summer. Isn't this FUN? ...blessed...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

jwwseville60

Ahhh...Caddies on the cape!
Ive had good luck with Facet fuel pumps. I have two in-line on my 63 bypassing the FP. Its overkill, but a genius mechanic recommended it. Here in VA we have the Blue Ridge Mountains to get across many times when cruising from the Shenandoah Valley into the Alleghenies of W. VA. So we use full power uphill on occasion. Return line too for cooling the fuel. If one pump dies you have another on line with no loss of pressure. My 63 has a 429/turbo 600.
They cost a bit more but they are for light aircraft, so they are built to an industrial standard.
JWW

IMG_0665.jpeg
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Very cool John. I've actually seen that exact set up on a couple of rods around here, very trick.
And I'm thinking I'd lose a few points in Touring with that, LOL! Have fun!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

tmdeturck

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on June 05, 2022, 11:12:49 PMHey, took The Ark out tonight for the first time with the new headlights that were installed courtesy of my secret Santa. Here's the live video from tonight, you're riding with The Ark... I made the video "public" so if you're on Facebook you can view it...

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1206043736811615

I am somewhat surprised the speedometer stayed relatively close to 55 in that video...
Was that just for the camera? ;)
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: tmdeturck on June 13, 2022, 06:33:34 PMI am somewhat surprised the speedometer stayed relatively close to 55 in that video...
Was that just for the camera? ;)

Terry I was really enjoying the slow cruise, plus this was my time to get used to the new headlights.
I've posted video before of The Ark showing off his Reid's Automotive completely rebuilt 472 "with benefits",
at that speed traffic has to be light, uncomplicated, WAZE running and day time. I'll do another one soon and post
it, again I lose my nerve around 92mph. At dyno - "Hey Jimmy, how fast will this car go now?" You'll run out of nerve
before you run out of engine... And he's right, the pedal is only half way down. Jeez.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

"Cuda's to the left of me, Fleetwood's to the right, here I am..." - Stealers Wheel
That Plum Crazy 440 and its sister ship a 70 hemi Challenger (the wife's car) live in my town, we're members of the same local car club, very cool people. We like parking together, the ultimate muscle car and the ultimate land yacht of the era.

What a day for this, 70, low humidity, sunny. A lot of cool cars showed up for this 5pm to 7:30pm event, many I've never seen before and I'm only 30 minutes
further down Cape. There's this cluster of cool cars in the Sandwich/Bourne area that never leave the Sandwich/Bourne area, such a shame.

My first time here at Upper Cape Cod Regional Technical School. They only have 3 events each summer, June/July/August. Given the turnout today, slammed, word is they may add a couple more. VAST, beautiful campus with a fine selection of trade education, their automotive program is well regarded around these parts as well as the electrical, carpentry and veterinary. Programs where a young adult can immediately begin earning a living and being a productive member of society without debt and 100% job security vs being 200K in the hole with a college degree in basket weaving and spending your working hours post graduation saying "would you like fries with that?".

I talked to some students and teachers today, competition to get into this school is FIERCE. As it should be.
VERY PLEASED to meet some young ladies in the automotive program, I think the car shows are mandatory fun time for the students. One of the young'uns said "look at all the room to work" peering into The Ark's engine bay with class members and a teacher. I smiled. "Lots of room honey, the difference is this car won't email you if something is wrong, there's no bluetooth to connect to your IPad or phone and no where to plug in your OBD. You had to listen to the engine, you had to 'feel' it." They just stared at me, the teacher smiled.

I was asked about the Reid's Automotive tshirt I was wearing, that's an upcoming field trip for the class. And if you needed any more proof about excellence in education with this program here, you just got it. These kids asked some tough questions, sending me to the Good Book, twice. That manual, the body manual, simply amazed them. Suddenly they were paleontologists. 1 razor sharp young boy made the comment, "this car won't be effected by EMP." Eliciting snorts from his colleagues until a razor sharper female said "it could if it has HEI". (Boom, I could have cried) "You are correct young lady, it could, it has a Pertronix. The module is the vulnerable part, so I keep an extra in dual Faraday bags in the trunk" and showed it to her. The boys were flamed, the girl was victorious and all was right with the world.

If these elite youngsters are any indication of the future of the country, we're in good hands.

And I broke my rule of "no car show food, ever." The Sandwich (its a town) Rotary set up a barbq, the burgers were FRESH not frozen, cheese for the burgers was cut in a deli not unwrapped individually, and the rolls were brand name. I'm in. And the cheeseburger was handed to me red hot off the grill. Terrific. All proceeds from these events are donated to some worthy non-political organization, I'll be back next month.

This was event #7 since I got the car back on May 21st, and they've all been pretty leisurely with the exception of Heritage that had me up at 5am to be in line at 8am. Father's Day Hyannis this Sunday is sold out (350 cars) and I'll be up at 3am to be in line by 6am. The week after is the huge Saugus show, up at 4am to leave by 7am so I can arrive by 9am... for a 6 hour show (10-4) then a 2 hour drive back home. Cruising WITH all the on coming Cape weekend traffic. That'll be a 12 hour day. If I'm lucky.

This is "fun", right?  8)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Such a WONDERFUL narrative Laurie... I especially enjoyed your commentary about the school and the students, and I urge you to forward it on to the school, it's so validating and affirming, and the educators will certainly appreciate your reactions.    Happy day,  James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on June 15, 2022, 07:44:45 AMSuch a WONDERFUL narrative Laurie... I especially enjoyed your commentary about the school and the students, and I urge you to forward it on to the school, it's so validating and affirming, and the educators will certainly appreciate your reactions.    Happy day,  James

Given your scholastic resume James, I will do that. Just a great school. Oh to be young again.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Oh what a BLAST today!
Freakin' MOBBED at Cape Cod Classics Car Club cruise in tonight, LOTS of new cars, all in town for the Hyannis Father's Day Car Show which no one with a real car is going to now due to rain tomorrow. Simply packed, it was awesome. About 6pm these huge dark clouds came out of no where (living on the beach!) and there was a couple of rain drops, 90% of the cars simply vanished, including me. But a great time while it lasted.  Michael and Lauren Amster, baby Michael and baby-in-process Amster showed up, Bill Stephens from Mecum Auctions showed up with his super cool Viper. No getting up at WTF thirty tomorrow, REM stage instead. Isn't this fun? *BLESSED*! My actual post on Facebook with pics of my faves from today have been made public, so is a video walk around by one of the club guys to give you a taste of the cars that showed up this afternoon. The Ark is safely tucked in, bartender let's get it. Hope you had/are having a Blessed Saturday. This is just too much fun. Sorry to miss the Father's Day show tomorrow, sold out with 350 cars and usually 60,000+ in attendance, but not when its cold and raining. I should at least go late and get my competitors bag of goodies, I paid for it.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville