News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dash color, 37 Lasalle

Started by mark Lowery, May 21, 2009, 06:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark Lowery

Need some help from restorers that may have recently repainted a dash in a 37.  Seems the center section was either painted Kasha Beige or Andes Sand depending on whether early or later type.  Has anyone figured out a match in a currently produced paint?  Also, what defines "early" vs. "late"?  Does anyone know the vin number cutoff or date of production when Kasha Beige was dropped and they started using Andes Sand? 

Mark L, CLC#25216

harvey b

Hi Mark,when i painted the dash in my caddy,i used a color from a 78 AMC,it was called British Bronze,it was the closest thing we could come up with,i am not sure if the caddy and lasalle even used the same colors on the dashes,my car i think is a "early" as it is body #64 and serial number 1300 out of about 7000 cars made that year,the manufacturers number for the color is S8,we matched up a part of the glove box that had reasonably good color left on it to a chip from a paint book,i sprayed it in Acrylic Enamel with only 2 thin coats,i didnt want a show car shine on this part,it looks pretty close to what it would have had when new,it does have a little more sparkle then i tthink it should have when the sun hits it?,i have attached a picture of my dash to show you what it looks like.you will have to post some progress pictures of your car so everyone can see how it is coming.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

mark Lowery

Harvey,
Thanks for the prompt response, but I'm afraid that the Cadillac of the same year will not provide the color I need.  From the photo, it appears that the center section of your dash (where the speedo and clock mount) is wood grain, though the remainder of the dash looks similar to the color we came up w/ to replicate the Shadow Metalic that it was originally painted.  Before I had it media blasted, I could see that it had a decidedly "silver" cast, but I foolishly plunged ahead w/o trying to match the color.  Now I have nothing to look at to even attempt to match.  Though Cadillac and LaSalle shared many paint colors in those years, I'm afraid that it will take someone with a 37 LaSalle that was a little more cautious than me to respond.

That being said, did you notice my earlier post concerning the link that attaches the rear lever action shocks to the suspension?  Over 50 people have read this post, but no one has replied!  This is a case where the 60 series Cadillac and the LaSalle would have been the same.  In a nutshell, I'd like to know if the rod that connects the two ends was straight or if it had a kink in it (about 10-15 degrees) on the end that attaches to the shock arm.

Mark L CLC#25216

harvey b

Hi Mark,i did see the post about the shock links,i have a picture of the rear of my car,it is not a good shot,just a picture i took when we were dissassembling the car,i have attached it for you,my car is still in storage as the weather here has been the pits,was 36 degrees here on monday,not exactly convertible weather ???,in the western end of the island someone seen snow?.my car is stored down the road from my house,i will go there this weekend and have a look at the rear links for you,this will give me an excuse to go and see it,weather is starting to come around,is 70 here today and sunny.also did the package arrive yet?,HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

mark Lowery

Harvey,
Oh yes, the package has arrived, and I'm now sorting through things to see if I use your garnish molding or mine as I can pick and choose.  Either way, I'll end up w/ an extra set if someone is in need.  

Thanks for offering to look at the shock links as this is the only question that is holding up getting my shocks back from the rebuilder.  One other explanation for why mine may be tweaked is that it clearly has a later rearend fitted to it.  The axles presently in place have a 5" bolt circle.  It should be (I believe) 5 1/2" to fit the five bolt pattern in the 16" wheels.  This is something I will need to deal w/ as I want to use the 16" wheels as they fit the hub caps.  Apparently, the later rearends were sometimes fitted to allow a higher ratio (3.26:1 vs 3.77:1).  I'd like the higher ratio so I could cruise at 65-70 MPH, but I might have to switch to an earlier rearend to get everything to fit.

Mark L CLC#25216

harvey b

Hi Mark,i went and looked at the rear shock links on my car,it was dark in there but i could see that the arms are straight,dont seem to have any bends in them at all,might be taking it home later this week if the weather looks to be improving ???,your other question about the rear end,you might be able to replace the rear with another that has the right bolt circle,maybe one from a newer caddy or big ford or dodge?,that would give you a better ratio andmileage to boot,also it would not involve any changes that could not be easily undone at a later time,on my car i find with the stock rear it has no problem keeping up with traffic and does not seem to be geared to low,motor seem to run at a good RPM,however we do not have the big freeways here like you have in California,on the whole island here we do not have any divided highway at all,all 2 lane roads here.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

J. Bice CLC #24805

Quote from: mark Lowery on May 21, 2009, 06:14:34 PM
Need some help from restorers that may have recently repainted a dash in a 37.  Seems the center section was either painted Kasha Beige or Andes Sand depending on whether early or later type.  Has anyone figured out a match in a currently produced paint?  Also, what defines "early" vs. "late"?  Does anyone know the vin number cutoff or date of production when Kasha Beige was dropped and they started using Andes Sand? 

Mark L, CLC#25216

Hi Mark,

I'll be delving into the same project soon.  I haven't tried to match anything yet though.  I do have original shadow gray metallic left in the glove box.  If you find a good match do you mind shooting me an email?  I'll do the same.

Thanks

Jason
J. Bice CLC #24805
1937 Lasalle 5019

Mark Lowery

Jason,
I notice you are in Oakland.  I live in nearby Walnut Creek, but the body work and painting are being done is a small shop in Oakland, Bella Machina.  The owner, Tom Napo hand mixed the Shadow Gray Metallic at the local PPG dealer, and I don't believe they actually kept a formula.  Too bad, as we now have to mix a little more, because I had forgotten to provide my glove box door!  He mixed this in single stage for reasons that are obvious only to those in the painting trade, but if you liked the match, I could have him mix enough this time to get my glove box door and your dash or entire interior trim, depending on your needs.

You mention that you have a sample using the glove box.  I found the best preserved paint under the trim plates on the window garnish moldings.  But either way, save something!

You see my dilemma revolves around the little bit of silver color that is in the center of the dash.  There are two original paint possibilities, but I've destroyed all traces of whatever was there, though it was badly faded.  Do you have decent paint under some of the trim in the center section or perhaps under the edge of the speedo or clock?  I can be reached via Email at MarkL67577@AOL.com .

Mark L CLC #25216
Quote from: J. Bice CLC #24805 on May 25, 2009, 03:58:10 PM
Hi Mark,

I'll be delving into the same project soon.  I haven't tried to match anything yet though.  I do have original shadow gray metallic left in the glove box.  If you find a good match do you mind shooting me an email?  I'll do the same.

Thanks

Jason