News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GN Road Trip Prep and Supplies???

Started by Jeff Wilk, June 22, 2014, 06:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

We are going to be driving our 59 Fleetwood the roughly 500 miles round trip to Lake George and we are wondering what we MUST pack in the trunk for emergencies. Tools are a must, but what about spare parts?  Here is what weve done over the past two years to an all original AZ car that had an engine rebuild in the '70s then sat in my garage for 25 years untouched:

Total front end disassembly and rebuild
New water pump, radiator, and hoses

Rebuilt generator

Rebuilt tri-power

New fuel pump, gas tank and fuel lines

Trans reseal and new lines

New PS hoses

New heater core and hoses

All new A/C system rebuild

New wiper motor

New brake booster, MC, lines, hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes

New glass mat battery

NOS voltage regulator

So other than my cell phone and AAA and Hagerty Roadside Emergency phone numbers what else do we pack "just in case"

Jeff & Noah
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

quadfins

For long trips, I always bring a spare:

fuel pump & filter
voltage regulator
variety of bulbs
various gauges of wire and connectors
a supply of hoses - upper and lower radiator, plus lengths of heater, fuel, and vacuum

Some of these have never been needed, but when others were, I was very glad to have them.

Which class did you decide to register in?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

How far and often have you driven the car since completing all the afore-mentioned fixes?

If it has been regularly driven, then you shouldn't need any spare parts.

500 miles really isn't that far.

But, if it has been rarely driven, then be prepared for the worst.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

Besides the parts Jim listed, for my '49 I always bring a distributor rotor.  In fact, to make it easier, in place of ignition parts I usually bring a complete spare distributor since on a '49 it is quicker and easier to change the entire distributor than to change the parts.   Also, if there is room in  the trunk I bring a complete spare generator.  I'm paranoid about these items since on 15 or so long trips in the 30 years I've owned the car, the only parts which have ever failed are the rotor (twice) and a generator armature.  These incidents make for good tire kicking stories but I'll save them for the GN. 

I'm driving my '49 1,000 miles each way to Lake George from Georgia and have been busy getting it ready.  Hope to see you guys there.   
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I'll step out the door and push the starter button. Go downtown and turn left. This is the second year in a row we take (most) of the same route east. Our highway in town leads straight east. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better the gas mileage on the new ATS will be when there is no town driving. It's sitting on 22.5 right now. I'll be thinking of you guys in the older iron. Safe highways to all of you.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Jeff:

Based upon my experiences with my 59 I would agree with Jim and Jay.  I would not leave home without a spare generator and voltage regulator.  A sturdier jack might also be wise.

SixDucks

Hi Jeff,
I would pack some extra fluids, fuses, and belts for the trip. Probably a great idea to take a fire extinguisher and a camera also.
Have a great trip!
Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Jay Friedman

I agree with Bill and SixDucks and always take a scissors jack (wouldn't want to spoil a bumper's finish with the original jack) as well as a fan belt, radiator hose, gear oil and brake fluid.  Forgot to mention the CDC membership directory to be used to call the nearest member for a recommended towing company and/or mechanic in case of a break down.  You never know, he/she might even come and bail you out personally.  As SixDucks mentions, a fire extinguisher is a must, all the more so since it's a requirement on the show field for judging. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

David King (kz78hy)

All great tips.  The CLC directory is very good one.  Your car is not that weird and parts are available at most national parts stores, so what ever might happen should  not be to bad.  If you have a classic car insurance company, be sure to add towing  on the policy so you can get flat bedded to safe spot.

For me, I carry al the spares that are not available, but most of that is due to the car being an Eldorado Brougham.

Looking forward to meeting up with you Jeff.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Walter Youshock

Make sure to CHECK THE AIR IN THE SPARE!!!  Or at least take a can of Fix-A-Flat.  I know that stuff has its detractors but last year coming back from Boston, one of the cars got a BAD tire gash.  And, of course, there was no air in the spare!!!  Thankfully a fellow member with an air pump stopped to help us out.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Besides the car parts I'd also bring bottles of drinking water (as well as radiator water or antifreeze) granola bars or non perishable food and snacks incase you get stranded for hours somewhere, first aid kit, if you change belts or stuff on side of road your sure to get cuts on your hands, then hand sanitizer and cleaner. I always leave a blanket in car to but I don't think you'll need it in summer, though it came in handy when I had to crawl under car on way to show before to remove dragging exhaust. I also always keep a bottle of window cleaner and paper towels in trunk. Sometimes in New England you get tons of bugs on windshield driving at night.
Have a good trip, I'm looking forward to going again this year.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

C.R. Patton II

Hello Jeff

You have received some great advice from the previous posts.  I look forward to seeing your Fleetwood.  I only have a humorous injection to include.  If you were driving a LaSalle you would need a trailer for the trophies you will receive!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Dan LeBlanc

I'm taking my cell phone and Visa card and hoping for the best.

If a generator goes, I'll do an alternator swap and put the generator back on for show purposes.

Fuel pump, water pump?  In these days of the Internet and Fedex, one can have these parts next day.

Points, condensor, distributor cap, rotor, all commonly available at many parts stores.

Being Catholic, I will bring my St. Christopher medal.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

kav

Don't forget beer . Nothing worse than being stuck on the side of the road while waiting for a tow and sobriety sets in  . Only for emergencies mind you .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Lucas Feininger #15674

Make sure to bring a spare set of keys and keep them on your person. At the 2000 GN a prominent member of the CLC community arrived in a 1967 de Ville convertible and promptly locked his keys in the trunk. It took several hours and some expense to get the trunk opened. His wife was NOT amused.

See you in Lake George!
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"