News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

SCAM ATTEMPT

Started by hotrodln, May 17, 2022, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodln

ok so i was looking for a right cylinder head for my 62. i got a call from WIlliam Barnette 510 331- 2130...he says his buddy saw where i was looking for a head. he had two OEM heads that his dad bought and stockpiled a long time ago, but his poor dad died...so for 420 bucks, paypal he will send them both to me..he insisted that i do paypal friends and family to avoid charges.....so i sent it. no heads...no communication after that.....yup he screwed me...so i was pretty mad...so last night i get a PM from a Brand new member of this forum named James TOM...he says contact his pal Chris. he has what i need.............408 713 9468......so i start texting this guy...same pattern.....same scam....he said his name was chris but he failed to change his outgoing message that says william robert....oops...so anyway i get an address from him this time....Arnold Jose Lara, 1368 E 94th St., Los Angeles CA 90002...I plan on calling the sherriff in that area and see what they can do....long story, but this forum needs to know. YOU ARE BEING STALKED BY DIRTBAGS!!
Pat Prendergast

dn010

-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

hotrodln

too bad i didn't know about this guy two weeks ago....
Pat Prendergast

TomJudd

Ill testify, I .have screen shots and multple texts saved     Rat a** bas*&^%d !!  BUST his scammin butt !!

hotrodln

I have his address now...i guess he's a dumb thief..
Pat Prendergast

dn010

I originally posted this to another thread, but I thought I'd post this here because it is a sticky, I hope it will help to prevent fraud in some way or another, but here goes:

Some tips for protection are-

Never send friends and family paypal unless you really trust the receiver. I've sent small ~$20 payments friends and family knowing I'd be out very little if it was fraud. Anything more, nope.

If the seller demands friends or family, zelle, venmo or other protection free payments, walk away from it. No seller should be twisting your arm.

Request parts to be listed on a protection friendly site. Anyone legit will take the fee hit as opposed to be sitting on parts even longer.

This can go deeper, as in searching phone numbers and addresses in state/county property appraiser websites if you are that much of a detective. But I'd just recommend if it feels to you that something wrong and YOU, that is spending the $$$ is being forced into a decision you don't like, it's because it is. I would think most of us here are honest folks, but those that just start accounts or call you without posting that they will- be hesitant. These people want every little digital trail for the world to see.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

79 Eldorado

Quote from: hotrodln on May 17, 2022, 03:25:51 PM
I have his address now...i guess he's a dumb thief..
Do you think the person gave you their real address? Maybe, but if they knew they were scamming you why wouldn't they just give you a fake address of a nice looking address? Don't get me wrong because I hope you catch the person and stop them but I couldn't think of a reason they would ever need to give you a real address if you were sending money. If you sent money I assume the intent was the parts would be then sent to you.

Best of luck,
Scott

TomJudd

General tip....most scammers I have seen on Craigs and FB market have Gmail accts,  be very leary....Great day all. Sorry to guy that lost $$$, happy for several that caught onto this ^&^##^

hotrodln

Quote from: TomJudd on May 18, 2022, 07:37:22 AM
General tip....most scammers I have seen on Craigs and FB market have Gmail accts,  be very leary....Great day all. Sorry to guy that lost $$$, happy for several that caught onto this ^&^##^
in this case the guy wanted VENMO...so i told him i didn't have venmo, but i would gladly put a postal MO in the mail...so he gave me the address,,,its a valid address. i checked it out on google. he wouldn't give me a bad address if he thought i was sending him  money. I plan on doing a police report on this and send the LAPD to his house.....he got so mad at me when i called him out in text messages he showed me a picture of a GUN...wow now i'm scared right?? this guy needs to be in jail. I hope the guy who just opened the CLC account this week has been dropped by admin...
Pat Prendergast

mario

You should text him back, this
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

TomJudd

Dont do the crime if ya cant do the time !!!!   Us honest guys just have to believe in KARMA...

LowSalle

He got $410 from me for a gas tank through this site and Zelle. I hope he dies a slow death. I will try to get it back through Zelle and my bank.

CaddyJay

Yeah they tried to scam me too, sad that this crap is everywhere

russ austin

If a seller insists on friends and family through paypal, just pay for goods and services and add in the 2.3 percent to cover the fee.  He gets what he asked for, and you get buyer protection.
R.Austin