News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

In radiator thermostats

Started by TonyZappone #2624, August 17, 2022, 09:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyZappone #2624

Does anyone know who rebuilds the thermostats that are in the radiator that operates the shutters?  Or know anyone know who sells them.  They were used in many other makes also
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Bob Schuman

Tony,
Rebuilding of the in-radiator thermostats used to be done by Mr. Jim Otto, 10700 Alameda Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee 37932, phone 865-966-9494. My information is several years old, so it may no longer be useful. I understand he was an employee of Fulton Sylphon Co., the original manufacturer.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

TonyZappone #2624

Thank you.  As I understand, Hirsch has them for $595!
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Daryl Chesterman

If you are willing to try repairing your Sylphon Bellows thermostat, this website gives some step-by-step instructions for doing it.  Someone on this forum posted this website in response to another inquiry about this particular thermostat and its repair.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/thermostat-1.cfm

Daryl Chesterman

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Tony, I "may" still have a spare in decent "as-is" condition. It might come in handy for a spare for rebuilding. I need to go to the garage anyway and I'll try to remember to look (where I saw it last time.)

I was asking $50 for it, but will let you set the price relative to the good it does you. I'll check and let you know if I still have it. Best of luck. Barry.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TonyZappone #2624

Thank you Barry, I would buy it to have for someone else, in case they need it.  In fact, Mr. Otto is still rebuilding them, (not cheap $275-$300), but better than the $495 from Hirsch.  I am sending him mine today

Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Tony, it is "way cool" to watch the shutters slowly open when the thermostat is working properly. I'll have time to go out back this weekend. Can't go to church this week. Gay's manicurist called this morning and she has Covid, so we are hanging around the house for a couple of weeks. Hopefully our booster shots will kick in. It was Wed. and Gay hasn't complained, so hopefully, we're OK.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TonyZappone #2624

Let me know when/if you locate it.  Hope you don't have Covid, Claire and I got it a couple of months ago.  It wasn't as easy as people said.  I felt real lousy for several days.  Claire has asthma, and was messed up for a couple of weeks.  We had two vaccines and a booster.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv