News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1993 El Dorado

Started by Ron, April 12, 2006, 11:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Is there a swicth or button to lock out 4th gear (overdrive)? Yes I have my glasses on, but cannot find it in print or on the dash! It only has 30K on it, but is not shifting in or out of 4th gear. Thanks!

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

No, GM has never used the overdrive on/off button like Ford, Toyota, and others car manufacturers do.  Instead, they provide a 3 position on your car and most others models (and on some earlier models like the 1983 Oldsmobiles, two "Ds" one with a square around it for Overdrive 1-4 and one without the square for Drive 1-3) so if youre in D and it is not shifting into fourth, the fault likes with the transmission and/or its controller, not the operator.

bob rutledge

Thanks for the information. We were hoping for an easy solution for the problem. I just bought the car and did not notice on the test drive that it was in third in both the "3" position and "d" position. it is a standard eldorado with only 28,000 miles. it was detailed just before i bought it so i hope it is a ground problem with the electical shift some where but who knows. should i take it to a transmissin shop or dealer?  thanks again for your help.  BOB

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Bob, All Northstar cars come with the really heavy-duty 4T80 Hydramatic transaxle that is extremely durable (my neighbors have 150,000 miles on my former 92 SDV  with the less-beefy 4T60 unit and its never been overhauled). With only 28,000 miles, youre almost guaranteed to not have internal transmission problems; its almost certain to be some electronic glitch. It could still be pricey if its a module, but nowhere near as much as an overhaul.

bob rutledge

HI RUSTY.  THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. I SURE HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT. I HAD A 1979 ELDORADO AND MY SISTER HAS IT NOW WITH AROUND 150,000 WE HAVE NOT HAD BIT OF TRANSMISSION TROUBLE. I WAS HOPING THIS ONE WOULD GIVE US GOOD SERVICE. ALSO  THANKS AGAIN. BOB

Per C. 4118

There are two solenoid valves inside these transmissions which control the shifting. I had an intermittent shortcircuit in "solenoid valve B" on my 94 Eldorado, which then caused the transmission to stay in 2nd gear. If your problem turns out to be a solenoid valve the dealer will sell you a kit with both solenoid valves reasonably cheap (I think paid less than $100), and to replace them you just need to drop the pan and the valve body (watch all those balls/checkvalves!), not too bad a job.

The Shop Manual has a very detailed description on how to troubleshoot shift problems. Its amazing how much information/hints you can get from the dash display.

Good luck,
Per

bob rutledge

I was hoping the solenoids were on the outside. that seems like a job i am not up to right now. i bet that is what is wrong. thanks for the info..  thanks  bob