News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on April 15, 2023, 08:48:16 AMI have new, correct bolts with undersize heads, let me know if want a set.

Yes. Can you share a picture
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David King (kz78hy)

Carl,  Here is the link.  I can deliver them today if you like.  I need to wake up a car anyway and 30 mile trip might be perfect.

http://www.keepemrunningautomotive.com/engine.html

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Clewisiii on April 15, 2023, 08:50:39 AMTassie that is what I have been doing.  Four sockets around the bushing on the inside.  I have gathered up from my boxes various brands to find the right height for each cavity
That is a different way of doing it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

First time using POR15.  It is a hard glossy finish. But it pulled back from the metal edges. 

I am painting the brake line and exhaust hanger brackets.  Did not send those out for powdercoat. 

IMG_20230419_185437694.jpgIMG_20230419_185447432.jpg 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Preparing parts that will not be powdercoated for painting.  I am going to spray POR15 so I am waiting on a quart of POR15 solvent for thinning.  IMG_20230430_111608706.jpg

Clewisiii

Most masking tapes on the hardware shelf are 3/4 inch wide.  I remember people in the past talking about cutting it down to 1/2 inch for retaping the body mounts in place.   Well good thing for Amazon I can order the exact size I need.  Screenshot_20230501-112912.jpg

Clewisiii

I got the call today. My frame and other components are moving to the powder coater.

Chicken Coupe

I never like asking prices on things. I feel its noone elses business.  But what is the ballpark for sandblasting frame, and powder coating.  In the same boat with my 1960.   If you don't want to indulge that info.,  No offense taken.  Keep up the good work man,  Looking really good. 

Clewisiii

Quote from: Chicken Coupe on May 03, 2023, 10:04:26 AMI never like asking prices on things. I feel its noone elses business.  But what is the ballpark for sandblasting frame, and powder coating.  In the same boat with my 1960.   If you don't want to indulge that info.,  No offense taken.  Keep up the good work man,  Looking really good. 

No problem. I will tell anyone any price I received.  It only helps people I feel.

The sandblaster told me $450. I thought that was cheap.  I paid him an extra $50 to take it to the powder coater.

The quote for powder coat which is epoxy first then top coat was $1200.  I don't know yet if that will be the final price.  That is frame and 17 various bracket pieces.   

Clewisiii

This is what I provided to the powder coater so I hope their quote is good. 
But sometimes I am to detailed and it scares people off.   Two steering wheel restoration guys would not return my calls after I gave them a presentation with photos and diagrams of my wheel defining all the cracks and repair needed. 
image (3).jpgimage (4).jpgimage (5).jpg   

Clewisiii

It waited a couple of days longer then I wanted. But frame brackets are ready.  I need to order the replacement bushings to reassemble the frame when it gets back from powdercoater. 

IMG_20230506_152012794.jpg

Clewisiii

Waiting for the call from the powdercoater to schedule picking up my frame.  Excited to get the engine and trans installed to frame in June. 

I ordered the new upper A Arm bumpers.  I remember how much of a fight it was installing these last time.  After 6 years in place with no weight on the frame the other set were destroyed. IMG_20230513_155027617.jpg

Clewisiii

Could someone tell me about the differential.  Last time I opened it, cleaned it, installed new axle bearings, and a new pinion seal.  But I think I deformed the pinion seal. The new style are very thin compared to original. 

I may pay a shop to replace the seal and just look over my work.  Can the pinion itself be replaced.  I am going to have a new drive shaft cut.  I wonder if that shop should look at the diff as well. 

David King (kz78hy)

Carl,

I recommend Warren Gear & Axle.  https://warrengearmi.com

They put together my 55 Eldorado rear end that was completely taken apart by the previous owner.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

The Tassie Devil(le)

You cannot replace a pinion on its' own.   The Crown Wheel and Pinion come as a matched set.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Radiator just dropped off for recoring. He was almost apologetic that it would take 5 days.  That is nothing. 

Waldron's says it is a 8-10 week lead time for an exhaust.  I would like to get one before I try to fire up the engine.  I may buy something for temporary use.

IMG_20230516_161654126.jpg

Clewisiii

I have a question about battery cables. 

The listing said not original spring connectors.

I have not checked my Fleetwood but this has the same connectors as my parts car. 

Maybe my parts car wires had been replaced.  Or maybe the spring connectors stopped earlier then they have listed.   

What are your thoughts or opinions. 

IMG_20230518_185254495.jpg

Clewisiii

Dug out my original.  No big difference to me. 

IMG_20230518_201452463.jpg

David Greenburg

The spring clamps are correct, but they are also annoying (get loose and sloppy). I'd go with the bolt- ons.  And maybe go oversize while you're at it.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

I have to say I am getting very excited about being able to start my engine soon.  I feel like that will also be a big psychological hurdle. 

I keep saying the the next step was just to expensive to get past.  But after this I have a series of sub $1000 hurdles.  The next big expense is paint and interior chrome.  But I can work on the remaining chrome over time. 

I am happy.