News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car Auction

Started by SilverLimo75, October 31, 2021, 01:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLimo75

Hello everyone.

There is an online auction that will soon start on November 5th at:

14 Wetmore St, New York Mills, NY 13417

where roughly 236 cars are being sold. The son of the owner of the cars and the building is clearing everything out before the end of November. Whatever isn't sold will probably go the the crusher. The majority of the cars and parts being sold are Packard's and Cadillac's that range from the 1920's to the 1960's, in various state of conditions. There may possibly still be a LaSalle or two left. They will not be parting out the cars they will be selling them whole "as is".

For contact of the auction place call Randy Passonno 518-895-8150 at Collar City Auctions. Other source is Hemmings news: https://www.hemmings.com/events/detail?listing_id=59806
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 75

Mike Baillargeon #15848

J....can you link to the catalog of all these Packard's and Cadillac's that are now sold?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

fishnjim

I'm thinking the info is a bit garbled.   There doesn't appear to be a "Wetmore" NY.   Not on mapquest nor google.   There was an auction of the Wetmore estate back 2012 in NY.   The Passonno auction house doesn't show this auction in their current listings.
I get the classic car auction info, and did see any.
Poster needs to confirm / clarify.

TonyZappone #2624

These cars all belong to attorney Louis Abelove, who is very ill.  His son, I believe his name is Joel, (another attorney) is liquidating the longtime collection of Louis.  Collar City auctions is handling the sale.  It is not an onsite sale.  All sales will be remote, online, as I understand.  The street location is not really necessary, because no one will be allowed on premises for the sale.  (probably before the sale also, doublecheck with the auction house)
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The link for sale info on the Hemmings page is dead.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddy Wizard

I tried to buy one of Mr. Abelove's cars from him about 10 years ago.  He couldn't manage it logistically -- too many cars surrounded the one I wanted and they were all "non-runners"...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

71 Fleetwood

1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Caddy Wizard

Okay, here is the situation.

236 cars to be auctioned.  Auctions begin Nov 5 and they end Nov 27.  I am guessing that they are going to auction off about 10-12 cars per day.  Cars are indoors and once the auction ends, they will remove the auctioned cars to a parking lot for pickup.

My understanding is that there are a lot of Packard's, Pierce Arrows, and cars like that. Some Cadillac's.  Years ago I saw pictures of several Cadillac's in his collection (all unrestored cars in various states of disrepair).

The auction house is Collar City Auctions -- website is www.collarcityauctionsonline.com   You have to register to be able to see the cars.  Right now, the lots are not posted, but they promise that the lots will be posted soon.  I am told that lots should be on the website sometime today (Nov 1). Pictures should be up either tomorrow or Wednesday (Nov 2 or 3).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

joecadillac63

I am not confirming anything about the auction, but it's Wetmore St in New York Mills.  It appears to be one of the old mill buildings.  My father lives 2 miles from there.  Here is the auction link:  https://www.collarcityauctionsonline.com/servlet/List.do?auctionId=727

Current:
1967 69347 Fleetwood Eldorado Coupe

Previous:
1963 6267 Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1969 69347 Fleetwood Eldorado Coupe

Caddy Wizard

UPDATE as of Nov 3:

The auctions will begin on Nov 5.  But they are not posting any of the lots online until Nov 5, so there is no chance to see what is coming up for auction yet.  Also, in order to see the lots, you will have to register and that requires a $1,000 credit card "hold" (refundable/reversible).  Also, if you win, they will drag your car outside and leave it in the parking lot for you to pick up -- not sure how secure that is going to be (you could end up paying for a car that gets stolen pretty easily before you can take possession and their terms seem to indicate that they are not responsible for that). Finally, and this is notable, there is a 22% buyer's premium.  So whatever the winning bid is, the winner needs to pay that plus 22% (plus NY state taxes, perhaps).

All in all, not a friendly process for folks with casual interest...
Art Gardner

chrisntam

.........or parts of the car will "grow legs"...........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Baillargeon #15848

The catalog is up.....220 plus cars.....Lots of Packards and more Cadillacs then I thought we'd see.....

You gotta wonder the thinking about collecting all these car....maybe after you retire from whatever job you have, you'd spend the rest of your time on earth parting out these cars?

https://www.collarcityauctionsonline.com/servlet/List.do?auctionId=727

Lots of part cars here !!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Poncholover

Sounds like some sort of auction that only 2 attorneys could fabri-cobble together?
;D
Flattie Caddy

76eldo

I was there two weeks ago.
Many of the cars are solid but all are rough.
Nothing runs.
These are all project cars.
The building has a leaky roof and the cars all have surface rust or worse.

There is another group of better cars in a different building about 10 minutes from the large building. Those are decent cars but none are for sale yet.

No doubt some good project cars but nothing that's going to run with a fresh battery and some gas in my opinion.

I was up there to help my brother in law retrieve a nice 56 Packard Caribbean convertible that he sold to Louis in 1987. He as able to get it back at a reasonable price and luckily it was in the nicer building.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Brian, in the second building, did you see any series 75 Convertible sedans?

I gotta find that 1938-1940 top frame someday...somewhere....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

76eldo

I don't think so. The cars in the better building are not parts cars. They are much better.
Not for sale though.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on November 04, 2021, 07:55:45 PM
Brian, in the second building, did you see any series 75 Convertible sedans?

I gotta find that 1938-1940 top frame someday...somewhere....

Mike
Mike,
Re the top frames... please call me sometime. Late afternoons  Ca. best. My # is in the directory.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on November 04, 2021, 06:00:35 PM
The catalog is up.....220 plus cars.....Lots of Packards and more Cadillacs then I thought we'd see.....

You gotta wonder the thinking about collecting all these car....maybe after you retire from whatever job you have, you'd spend the rest of your time on earth parting out these cars?

https://www.collarcityauctionsonline.com/servlet/List.do?auctionId=727

Lots of part cars here !!
Mostly valueless junk!! He did a lot of rust belt sellers a favor over the years by buying that crap. The time for most of those cars hast past!! It's amazing that so many cars have NO keys, motors or titles. Where did all this go?? He may have been a sharp attorney, but he fell way short or these cars. Sad!!
Bob

Mike
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 04, 2021, 11:25:48 PM
Mike,
Re the top frames... please call me sometime. Late afternoons  Ca. best. My # is in the directory.
Bob

Will do Bob.....I'm hoping you can work your magic.....Thanks,

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Caddy Wizard

The cars are mostly rough.  Mostly Packards, but a good number of Cadillacs.

Almost all are inoperative, in rough condition, missing keys, missing various parts, and without title or registration.  So you can't really restore them without risking not ever establishing legal title in the cars.

Essentially, these are parts cars.

Sad.  Ten years ago I tried to buy one of the Cadillacs from the older gentleman.  He could not do it technically, but at that time I think he had the title.  Not it appears to be lost forever and the car is in much worse shape.  Back then, I could have saved the car.  Not now...
Art Gardner