News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 CDV trunk

Started by Claudio, April 06, 2023, 04:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

I'm getting ready to do the trunk floor in my 59 CDV..... has anyone replaced their trunk floor...???
I have a complete trunk kit.... actually I have all the required metal panels to fix all the rust on the car....
What's involved...??
 I'm replacing the whole trunk floor...fuel tank mounts.... trunk drops.... and lower rear quarters... then I'll be able to install the new fuel tank....
And then I'll move on to the floor pan panels....and rockers....and etc....
Thank you

59-in-pieces

Claudio,

Yes I have.

There are companies out there that offer replacement panels - Google them - it's a place to start.
My experience is that what they offer are not fabricated as well or completely as the original panels, with the ribbing for strength - holes for anti-vibration rubber plugs, or the under floor braces.

However, I found a parts car and cut a real floor out along with the braces, spare tire stop, etc..
The cuts were not just the floor but up into the wheel wells, up the vertical back side of the trunk that goes over the rear differential and axles frame hoop, and the front side of the trunk where the trunk lid lock is.
Just remember that the trunk also has the down side panels that fill in the quarter panel voids on both sides that connect the bottom of the fenders itself.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Claudio,

Glad you like a challenge, but finding a good donor floor to replace in one piece is going to be very expensive, or next to impossible, as parts cars of this vintage are getting harder to find.

Your best solution would be to clean the whole area to see just what has to be replaced, and you will be horribly surprised at how bad it is, but you need a starting point.

I replaced flooring in a rusted '71 Eldorado, and taking it in sections was a lot easier than trying to do it all in one.

Have a look at    https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=144372.msg356545#msg356545 

But, this car had a good base, which is why you need to get back to good metal.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Claudio

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on April 08, 2023, 12:19:29 PMClaudio,

Yes I have.

There are companies out there that offer replacement panels - Google them - it's a place to start.
My experience is that what they offer are not fabricated as well or completely as the original panels, with the ribbing for strength - holes for anti-vibration rubber plugs, or the under floor braces.

However, I found a parts car and cut a real floor out along with the braces, spare tire stop, etc..
The cuts were not just the floor but up into the wheel wells, up the vertical back side of the trunk that goes over the rear differential and axles frame hoop, and the front side of the trunk where the trunk lid lock is.
Just remember that the trunk also has the down side panels that fill in the quarter panel voids on both sides that connect the bottom of the fenders itself.

Have fun,
Steve B.

Do you have any pictures of your car 🚙 and how you cut out your trunk....??
There are no more 59 parts cars.... Lol 😝.....
I have a complete trunk kit....( it has contours like the original one... but I have to use my spare tire and jack brackets..... it also has the rear braces.... And I got the fuel tank mounts as well..... )
Actually I have all the required metal panels to fix all the rust on the car..... just have to get a little coaching on installing them myself..... I'm also replacing the trunk drops and lower rear quarters......

59-in-pieces

Claudio,

Where are you, which may add more difficulties if you can locate even a halfway decent floor(s).

I went back into my pics and I found at least 2 cars - convertibles - that I did a partial replacement and a total replacement.

I will send you a PM so we can take this off-line and exchange pics, and ideas more easily.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

S. Butcher

Claudio

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on April 12, 2023, 07:38:22 PMClaudio,

PM failed ?????
Email me..... it's in my profile.......
I tried messaging you also......but your box is full.......

59-in-pieces

Nope - not in your profile, nor did I find you in the member directory.

Can't help the invisible man.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

Claudio,

Went to your profile and no email. nor is there an envelope to click which may have had your email.

I did send you a brief note on the email you provided.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher