News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Just a fun video for 61

Started by Clewisiii, May 28, 2023, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

James Landi

Carl,

It's an interesting video piece.  The '61 Cadillac designs were a departure in some substantive ways.  Somewhat shorter and missing some of the more (dare I say) ponderous visual cues of earlier models. I owned a '61 convertible from 65-73, and I always loved its looks.  Because it was white, patching the ever-spreading rust in the fenders next to the head lights and in the rockers was never a big deal, and with a rattle can of appliance paint, it could look pretty good.  As is the case with cars of that era, the odometer jammed after  100,000 miles, so I never knew just how far the car and I journeyed together, but by 1973, there were serious cracks in the chassis, the reverse gear had failed, and I had created a work-around pcv vacuum pipe in the oil fill to dispense with the substantial blowby.  I particularly loved to look in the rearview mirror with the top down at night and view the rear fin lights in the fins.   Thanks for posting this piece, James   

Clewisiii

The grill bullets in the video being called Projectiles.  I guess I now have a technical name for them. 

I always thought it funny that they tried to use it as a selling feature that the heat and AC could be used at the same time, "For maximum comfort" as was said in one of the sales literature.  They could not just admit they had not figured out an integrated system yet. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

James Landi

"I always thought it funny that they tried to use it as a selling feature that the heat and AC could be used at the same time, "For maximum comfort" as was said in one of the sales literature.  They could not just admit they had not figured out an integrated system yet."

Yes Carl.... it took several more years to develop an automatic electronic mixing that modulates heat and cooling to control humidity and cabin temperature automatically.  In the meantime, as you noted, Cadillac encouraged owners to perform the "counter intuitive"-- turn on the a/c and the heat at the same time!  Likely most owners never did.  My used '61  convertible didn't have a/c, and I quickly learned that summer heat and top down was not a comfortable mix.  Happy day, James

jaxops

Great video.  I learned a lot about the 1961s that I never knew....thank you for sharing!

Mark M
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA