News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Cadillac Eldorado Survivor

Started by kabinets4u, May 29, 2023, 06:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabinets4u

Hello Forum: I am posting this for information on what my grandfather Eldorado might be worth? It is a 74' Eldorado, 28000 original miles. One family car, never been in an accident or painted or anything done to it, except a tune up and tires. Everything works as it should, except the A/C has a leak, so would need to be fixed, and with the freons changing, probably needs other things tweaked to run. Only things not original are the tires, battery, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and points. Still have its original brakes. I drove it over 400 miles on a trip recently, and it ran perfectly. Still has all the stickers and markings in the engine compartment. Even have the protecto-plate. Also has a Cadillac Dealer installed bug screen on front of hood. Thinking about selling, as I dont have the storage to keep it in its current condition, and my health doesnt allow me to drive it much these days. And help on worth would be greatly appreciated. Am Located in BC, Canada.

Series75

Go to Hagarty Valuation guide on-line and be honest with thier condition rating system.   Tom clc 6866
Tom CLC #6866

kabinets4u

Thanks. Looks like about $20,000-$25,0000. :o

2011DTS

Vince, Judging from your photos you have a really nice Eldorado Coupe. You should be able to find a good home for her. One bit of advice, do not leave her parked out in the sun for long periods of time. From you photos your car still has the original rear quarter extensions (the filler between the rear bumper and the rear quarter panel) and tail light surrounds. These parts are made of urethane and were not made to last 50 years. Long exposure to sun and excessive heat will cause them to rapidly dry out crack and fall apart, it can happen in an afternoon on these part at the age of your car, mine cracked and fell apart after an afternoon at a car show. Just a heads up, you are very lucky they are still in one piece, this car must have been garaged in a cool dry garage. Again, that is an outstanding example of a 1974 in a great color combination.

James Landi

All TRULY  excellent advice in prior postings.  TO better understand the challenges a new owner will face, I suggest that you procure an approximate estimate on the replacement of those fragile bumper extensions as well as the costs involved in getting the auto climate control working.Additionally, if the car has original flexible brake lines and brake parts as well as original engine coolant and fluids, there may well be other immediate and serious challenges.  For a KNOWLEDGEABLE buyer, having and sharing that information will serve you and the prospective buyer with important information so as to avoid after sale regrets and challenges (I speak for experience here)    Respectfully, James 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The cool climate is what helped the fillers survive as long as they did. The white leather is especially impressive along with pretty much everything else. One of the best original '74 Eldorados I've seen. $20,000 to $25,000 is exactly what I would have estimated. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

kabinets4u

Thanks for all the advice. The rear filler pieces are super brittle, and I have found fiberglass replacements from Texas. Just painting them now, and will replace them soon. Thanks again.

2011DTS

Vince, one note. Your original fillers still has the original plastic chrome trim. This is irreplaceable so once you have the new fillers very carefully remove the plastic chrome trim from the original fillers. This can be done by carefully running a thin blade between the trim and the filler. Do not worry if some of the black rubber that is on the inside edge of the original trim is left behind. It was there to keep the plastic chrome trim attached to the original fillers. Do this slowly as that plast chrome trim has been unavailable since the 1980's and the door edge trim everyone uses now meets the need but does not look as good. Also you will find a metal bracket on the quarter extensions, this may or may not be necessary for you replacements depending on the fit of the replacements. Good luck also there is a great video on the replacement of these fillers just search on line as I don't have the link. The rear ones are easy, the front fender extensions are an all day job to get right and that is after you remove the front bumper. Good luck great car.