News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac steering column

Started by 1960cadillac390, May 29, 2023, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1960cadillac390

Hi guys,
Can anyone tell me is there a dust shield or some sort of seal at the bottom of the steering column on a 1960 Cadillac
I have just finished installing the column back in, but at the floor there is a large gap around the column to floor mounting bracket.
I have the lower column rubber dust boot in place but still has an opening where water etc can come through.
The pictures attached show the opening in the floor and the bracket that bolts to the floor to hold column in, i have large gaps around that bracket at the floor
See pictures of area i am talking about.
Thanks and any information greatly appreciated.

Gavin
Australia

Clewisiii

Yes there is a rubber boot. I think rubber the right way has it. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Moody

I believe he's talking about the other boot, which is probably flat rubber. I don't know for sure, because I'm missing mine too.
Moody

Clewisiii

If I remember I will get a picture of what I have tonight. 

Jason Edge

Per 1965 Master Parts Book, the steering column floor rubber seal and metal retainer are the same 59 to 62. There was an earlier part # for 59/60 but says to use the 61/62 # when they run out. 63 & 64 are different. These are in parts Group 6.758 and I can provide individual part #'s if needed.

For reference here is a picture of the 1963/64 Non-Tilt Steering Column Floor Rubber Seal and Steel Seal Retainer. Note these are two different pieces, the rubber seal and the black painted metal plat the seal sits up against.

63-64 Non tilt Steering Column Floor Rubber Seal and Steel Seal Retainer.JPG
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic