News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Testors model paint for touch up?

Started by badpoints, May 31, 2023, 01:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpoints

Has anyone used Testors model paint for touch up. I bought some Baroque Gold metalic , code 43 , on line and the color match is really bad. My car was repainted factory color about 30 years ago so it might of been off.
I bought some gold and green Testors paint and I am going to try to mix the color tonight. 

Michael Petti

Take a piece of the car like a skirt or gas door or something and have a paint shop match it.  Some places have portable scanners that can come out to your car. You can order the paint on line, but would probably be faded unless the car was inside most of the time. I have used Testors paint, but only when painting a small emblem or piece of trim so the EXACTcolor match to original is not critical.

billyoung

I use Testors enamel model paint to repaint the Cadillac crests that the paint is now missing after so many years using a toothpick and then scrape off any excess off the high spots using a razor blade.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Jim Miller

IMG_2287.jpeg I used a translucent paint suggested by the local hobby shop to redo this emblem. For any sheet metal, I'd use the auto paint store where they can match the color.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

V63

Testers is quality paint and if you get a good match that will be the challenge, remember metallics are very tough to brush touch.

jaxops

I've used model paint on the inside of the 56's door and on the inside of the fender skirt. I really like the job Jim did on the badge!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Jim Miller

Here is the stuff I used. Where the inserts were chipped, I used an exacto knife point to clean out the area. Then, for the red as example, I layered in the translucent red with many layers. Used the gold pen for the gold area. Afterward I used several coats of clear acrylic in each square - not on chrome. I was pleased with the outcome as my chrome was better than any replacements I could find.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX