News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 - 1960 Cadillac Seat Belts

Started by 59-in-pieces, June 04, 2023, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

I have been searching around for original seat belts with no luck.

What I have found is a bunch of aftermarket sets which say "will fit" 59 or 60's Cads - so, we know what that means.

Does anybody have a set of verifiable "OEM" seat belts, or at least pictures of them - with pics of both buckle ends and fabric weave.

Beggars can't be choosers, any colors will do, and would be much appreciated.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Clewisiii

Hard to really call any of these OEM from that era since they were all dealer installed options.  Here are pictures from my set.

IMG_20230303_194714417.jpgIMG_20230304_151625694.jpgIMG_20230304_151801495.jpgIMG_20230304_151631104.jpg   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

Hey Steve-

They occasionally pop up on eBay.  I gave up looking and went with modern belts with the old school "aviator style" buckle.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Michael Petti

If memory serves me seat belts were not required until 1964. Everything prior to that was dealer installed, or aftermarket. I had a set from Sears installed in a 58 Ford I had. I have seen some nice ones for sale with the Cadillac Crest. I would think the belts from a 64 or 65 would fit and look good.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Michael Petti on June 05, 2023, 06:59:53 AMIf memory serves me seat belts were not required until 1964.

1968 I believe.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Warren Rauch #4286

I believe you are both right on the question of when required. Jan 1,1964 for front. and 1968 for rear.
 The pictured belts,above ,are what Cadillac was showing in The Accelerator ( internal magazine) in 1961 and 1962. They continued to use this type on limos thru 1964. The Oct 1962 issue on the cover pictures a plain air craft type with a plain buckle,but other places all show the style above.
  In June 1961 ,a "Cadillac Extra parts and accessories" number 139,was issued. It trumpeted Genuine Cadillac seat belts.The order form listed colors;Rose,Gray,Blue,Green,Fawn,Black and Maroon . All fit 1957-61.
  In issues from 1957 to 1960 ,the seat belts pictured were the same. An aviation type buckle.The top instead of being squared off had an end of a half circle.
  Warren

59-in-pieces

Thanks guys.

The MPL does show that 59 kits were available in various colors.

And, yes they would have been ordered and installed by the dealer for front and back seats.

There is even a diagram of a floor pan that shows were the dimples were put in the sheet metal to help locate the mounting hardware for proper installation, front and back.

I feel like I'm out on a "SNIPE" hunt.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher