News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for a Magic Wand for use on annodized aluminum grills

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 07, 2012, 07:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Short of finding a magic wand, is there some "quicker fix" to clean up the annodized aluminum grills on the late 50's Cadillacs?  Mine is a 59 and I DO NOT want to attempt to disassemble the entire thing at this point.....that will be another project in a few years.....just looking to see if anyone has found some clever way to spray these down with something, scrub them up a bit with the assembly off the car, and then return assembly to car. 

Buffing with a dremmel while on the car maybe??? With what?

Chrome cleaner and a toothbrush???
I've used chrome cleaner with a rag and that does a decent job but takes about 10 minutes per 2"square!!

I don't expect magic, just some way to give these some shot of newness, as they currently are looking sad.

Anybody try anything before that does a decent job?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

R Schroeder

curly

I have a 59 and I cleaned the grill (off the car, assembled) using a dremel and a soft, bullet shaped tip. I used regular automotive chrome polish on the tip and just took my time cleaning each square.  It was a long time ago, I don't remember how much time it took, but the grill did look better, especially the side grills in front of the tire.  They were almost black to start with.
I did burn out the dremel tool from over use.  Not to worry, it belonged to my brother.  ;D

T Lewis

Ed

Try Autosol or Flintz, I have good results with these two products. In some area where you can use a large cotton ball, I would use it. Cotton balls cut, but don't scratch. Hope this helps. I use it on this car (see picture).

Ed Nieves
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

David Greenburg

The most through polishing I've ever done on my '59 was with toothbrushes, lots of flannel cloths and Happich metal polish.  It took my wife and I several hours with the grille off the car, but it looked real nice when it was done.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

okccadman

I used Barkeepers Friend and glass cleaner with a toothbrush on my 67.  It is time consuming but I was very happy with the results.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Jeff Wilk

WOW WOW and WOW......based on the below string of replies......AND THANK YOU.......we tried one small hidden section with some BRASSO and a tooth brush.......MAGIC WAND....well almost...

I am going to switch to AUTOSOL with a drill/dremmel type small buffing tip next and that should do amazing work......Just cant get into a full restoration of the grill at this point after winding up as shown below after simply starting to clean up the engine bay WHILE we simply replaced the brake master booster!!!! ;D ;D ;D
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

R Schroeder

You will probably find that the buffing wheels on a dremmel wont last long.
tooth brush will probably work the best.
Good luck, you have a lot of teeth to brush.........ha
Roy

eldo59

You may as well pull the grill apart seing as you've taken the front clip off.
It's not hard to do trust me. Once it's all apart it's reall easy to clean with autosol.
I did my grill and side pieces in one weekend.
Mauro Bonfitto

Ed

Autosol does a good job and if you want to give it a nice final touch, hit it with Zomel.
Ed Nieves
Member #23765