News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 SDV leather stains

Started by badpoints, November 16, 2022, 08:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpoints

I have some big stains on the back seat. They do not wash off with leather cleaner. Not sure if the stains are some kind of mold. I tried leather cleaner, alcohol and water, vinegar and water, baby shampoo. What ended up working was toothpaste and alcohol and a lot of scrubbing. I need to get some good leather wax or balm now. I am sure that I scrubbed some life out of the leather but this car will be a driver.

badpoints

I removed the rear seat vertical. I painted some of the rusty frame and had to fix the bottom where the wire rusted and the fabric disintegrated. I used fabric tape, rivets and wire ties. Spent time cleaning. Painted the floor and glued down the loose drain plugs.Just ordered some Flexifil from furniture clinic to fix the worn white area at the top and some cracks. Now going to work on the package tray area and then start on the door panels.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Seat came out great!...nice work there !!

Did you use a leather dye or is that just from cleaning?

SEM makes a rattle can vinyl/leather color that's easy to use....getting the right color shade is tricky though....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

V63

I have seen that happen with clear plastic seat covers. You might check your data plate for an SO (special order) interior option?

You did a great job restoring the seat finish!

Yes, SEM is a great product for refinishing upholstery leather and plastics. A quality paint store can custom mix colors for professional spray equipment. I am getting a custom color match now for a RR.

badpoints

My initial plan was to dye the leather but I might not because most of the stains are coming out and the front seat is in much better shape. Funny that the back seat is so bad, I don't think anyone ever sat back there. When I removed the back seat the only things under there were two quarters from 1970 and an interior screw. My interior is called maximum leather on the sales receipt. The trim tag is confusing.

V63

Yes, it was a special order interior given 000 and the staple on the aluminum tag, seems very well optioned too!

Typically with seat covers the front one wears out but the rear one is left on much longer, that is why it gets more staining.

badpoints

The plastic seat covers making the stains is the only thing that makes sense.

wrefakis

your interior is multiple special orders
maximum leather
two tone
non perforated leather
my 67 convert had 4 special orders

badpoints

Took the front seat out. Had some big stains. Surprised that they came out at all. Still waiting for some leather repair stuff that I ordered.