News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Motor oil prices going up as well as other things

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, December 07, 2022, 09:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

Have you guys noticed lately how expensive motor oil has become?

What I don't understand is that with oil price being well below the $100 a barrel mark for months now, motor oil keeps going up in price. Even transmission fluid has gone up by $5-7 for a 4 quart jug of Valvoline. The regular blue ATF jug from Valvoline used to be $16 for many years, now it's $22, similar to the Red jug High Mileage ATF, used to be $17-18 is now $26. Almost a $10 increase in less than a year! This is outrageous and not normal at all for prices to shoot up so fast in such a short amount of time.

For instance, I remember paying $25 for the longest time a 5 quart jug of Castrol Extended Performance Full Syn oil for my daily driver, now that same oil went up another $1.00 at Walmart last week for $33.

These price increases aren't slowing down either. Now all the Mobil one oil 5 quart jugs are about $30. EP versions are now all $32-33.

Inflation has caused havoc on our economy and the price of goods to skyrocket so fast that I don't ever remember a time when the prices for things have accelerated faster than I can think.

What's very strange as well is although currently a barrel of oil is hovering around $70-75 but yet out here in CA were still paying anywhere from $4.00-5.50 a gallon for gas. That's still very expensive obviously but what's even more odd is I remember when oil prices shot up to $130 a barrel oil way back in 2012 and our CA gas prices hit like $4.50 a gallon or close to that price.

It seems as if there's definitely price gouging going on as our gas prices should be well below $4.00 a gallon with the current oil prices.

I haven't even seen discounts on motor oil at say Walmart for a long time although oil prices have come down a lot.

What gives? What do you think is going on here?

As a car enthusiast, it's getting more and more expensive to keep up with the ever price increases, even things like a car battery are very expensive now and they don't last as long like before.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

fishnjim

I don't think one can compare oil ten years ago to today.
As an astute observed told me, there's "profit in chaos".  But I add there's always winners and losers in the game.
Oil has been more around the $100+ mark most of the year, so inventory was priced up.  Most of the SPR oil sold for more than $100 - so had little affect on the gas price. (what they don't tell you)  All the old cheap inventory is gone replaced by new higher priced.  Today, crude is right at $80, so far from out of the woods.  Won't see "normal" prices if at all until it's $40-ish and there's a lag in the inventory.  If there's a marked shift away from fuels, to "volts-wagons" that will change the market volume.  Transitional "pain".
The problem with price spirals is they often don't return to normal, based on supply, due to wage forces.  ie, Wages have been pushed up so the ability to pay when things return is greater.  Politicians shed short term pain for long term pain.   The politicians haven't a clue about economics and marketing, just what gets them votes.   An oil company sales volume is based on the price of oil, which is a global market, ex production cost.  So if they make, for argument sake, 10% profit, on a certain volume sold the total amount of money they clear at low oil is less than at high oil, but the profit margin is the same.  That's not "gouging" per se.  That's the effect of the higher price of oil.  The old adage "make hay while the sun shines" applies to many things.  The current admin has it's head in the climate clouds, aka; anti-petroleum so don't expect things to change for a good while.
Best thing to do is forego those oil changes by increasing the interval by few hundred more miles/months.  It's the cost to maintain that's important.  Skip a filter replacement, etc.
The oil isn't really worn out at 3k-4k miles, that's for sales and marketing.  But check your specific vehicle's impact, by an oil analysis or other more subjective test, like color or feel for grit.

TJ Hopland

I would say about 75% of things I regularly purchase in my world have gone up 50-100% price wise.  That's pretty much everything, food and toys.  One example was the water drain on my air compressor has always been a pain to access especially as I get older.  Been on my to do list for years. 

A few weeks ago I finally decided to do it so went to the hardware store.  Its pretty simple 1/4" NPT fittings.  I had a 1/4" ball valve on hand so I just needed an elbow and 8" nipple to extend it far enough that I could more easily reach it. 

I was estimating the 2019 price of this stuff to be around $5 so I was expecting maybe $10. $26!  Probably slightly cheaper if I went down the street to Home Depot sort of place but much longer lines and the stupid self checkouts which don't work with tattered or missing barcodes often found on parts like these so not worth the hassle to save a couple bucks.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

badpoints

I have been getting take out for six to eight people from a local roast beef place on Friday nights for over twenty-five years. It is my poker night. Ever since the pandemic in 2019 their prices have been going up every three or four months. They can't even keep current prices on the menus. A small cheese pizza was $6 in 2019 now it is $9. A steak sub was $10 now $14. Those are big changes in three years.

Jim Miller

For those old enough to remember, the late '70's to early 80's we had rampant inflation and prime rate topping out at 20% in April '80. We survived it and had a fantastic run in the economy. We'll survive it again. Everything runs in cycles.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just as a point of (some obscure) reference, in 1970 I was building a high performance Chevrolet motor. A BRAND NEW short bloc cost me a princely $235.  In the (19)20's a loaf of bread cost a nickle.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Everyone.

Please note that all the posts in this thread that mention political issues have been removed and not available for reinserting.

Remember to keep politics and your political persuasions out of this Forum as this Forum is about Cadillacs and LaSalle vehicles, and not personal politics.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

fishnjim

Fine line between facts and how they're perceived.  The notion that politics can be separated from global issues is fantasy.  So ban global interest discussions?

dn010

All I can say is my latest oil change was nearly $70 with synthetic oil. My last oil change was around $40 for the same oil, same vehicle.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

35-709

Quote from: fishnjim on December 09, 2022, 09:19:31 AMFine line between facts and how they're perceived.  The notion that politics can be separated from global issues is fantasy.  So ban global interest discussions?
I would say a re-read of the forum rules is in order.  "Global interest discussions" (and politics) have no place here.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fishnjim

I don't see any links for "rules"?
I didn't start this post I only responded twice and one got erased?  So a bit arbitrary.

The Tassie Devil(le)

As I posted in the "cleaning-up" post, the posts mentioning the Political issues were removed, as were the quotes that were added to future posts.

It is policy for Moderators to not make amendments to peoples' postings, but to either remove the lot, or leave as it is.

As for political comment, there is a difference between members exposing their own political persuasions and beliefs in current and past administrations, and general political information.

To quote a member, "those discussions belong on some other forum."   Not here.   Here, we talk Cadillacs and LaSalles, and other related stuff.   But, keep your politics to yourselves.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Quote from: fishnjim on December 09, 2022, 09:18:24 PMI don't see any links for "rules"?
I didn't start this post I only responded twice and one got erased?  So a bit arbitrary.
:)  In every single forum subject from General Discussion down through Calendar of Events you will see "FORUM RULES - Please read before posting" listed as the first or second topic on that page. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

James Landi

I entirely support the "politics free" exchanges...Indulging in cynical and angry narrative assumes that all of the CLC readers either entirely agree or are stupid and need special education. There's plenty of opportunities elsewhere to unleash political anger.  As some correctly mentioned in this thread, adjusted for inflation over the past 50 years, the dollar's buying power has gradually dimenished, but we're still a great country,enjoying a wonderful standard of living, especially relative to people in other countries.  So please keep on sharing your expertise and experiences-- you're all important to me, I  truly enjoy your exchanges, I continue to learn from you, I look forward to reading and contributing here EACH DAY, and I am truly grateful that you share your wisdom, expertise, and experience.  James 

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 09, 2022, 11:06:55 PMAs I posted in the "cleaning-up" post, the posts mentioning the Political issues were removed, as were the quotes that were added to future posts.

It is policy for Moderators to not make amendments to peoples' postings, but to either remove the lot, or leave as it is.

As for political comment, there is a difference between members exposing their own political persuasions and beliefs in current and past administrations, and general political information.

To quote a member, "those discussions belong on some other forum."   Not here.   Here, we talk Cadillacs and LaSalles, and other related stuff.   But, keep your politics to yourselves.

Bruce, what happens when actual political policies actually impact people who own Cadillac's and LaSalles... Does this forum turn into pre-Musk Twitter by deciding what people need to know, or not? Important to remember the CLC and this forum are based in the United States, which is still loosely covered by the 1st Amendment, "freedom of speech" et al. Also important to remember the majority here are age-challenged and consider this forum 'social media'. An easy solution is a RANT channel under General Discussion. As I said our growing prices on all things surrounding our cars, our lives, are politically driven. Here's proof, they're trying to eliminate fuel powered cars, as I said.... https://twitter.com/backtolife_2023/status/1601690654366920704?s=20&t=om08C9w9E97klh4DJa0Xog
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Lexi

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 11, 2022, 11:00:37 AMBruce, what happens when actual political policies actually impact people who own Cadillac's and LaSalles...

I can see why the Forum frowns on political discussions, as they often drift from our core interest; Cadillac cars. When that occurs some comments can become acrimonious. But I have often wondered if that policy line is blurred when politics directly impact our vehicles as Laurie has noted. At some point it can be difficult to separate the two. Not sure if I would support a "rant" channel though. That would probably add to the woes of the moderators and make their job far more difficult. I think most of our members are here as they love Cadillac cars. Clay/Lexi

gkhashem

To be honest, just do not allow these type of posts period. Anyone with any sense at all should know why prices are going up. If not well I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Anyone one interested?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

rwchatham CLC 21892

Oh bot here come the conspiracy thinkers ,if I  want that i can read all the nuts with tin hats  on facebook .
R. Waligora

Joe G 12138

Quote from: Jim Miller on December 07, 2022, 04:58:00 PMFor those old enough to remember, the late '70's to early 80's we had rampant inflation and prime rate topping out at 20% in April '80. We survived it and had a fantastic run in the economy. We'll survive it again. Everything runs in cycles.
Nobody likes inflation, but it's raised its ugly head before and we've survived. An interest thing happened to just the other day. I opened up a Carter Carburetor box that was from 1946 or 1947. And along with the other paperwork with the part, was a notice from Carter: "Effective immediatly add 20% to all prices on the 1940 price list on all items" 
Joe Gibeault