News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1964 hydra-matic problem

Started by M123, June 13, 2020, 07:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M123

Hi.

Guess I am not the first scratching head over how to operate the adjustments.
Did last summer change out a broken support for the transmission and did get the scale a bit off on the gear selector, did yesterday fix that and now it's spot on but did get new problem on my hands.
Cold the transmission jump the 2 and slips on the D4. But when it's warm it do shift ok, could surely be better between 2 and D3 but works.

Did last summer change out all fluid in it and new filter, right fluid Grade A and it's still like new, no smell or burnt brown in it.

So now I have my guessing that my TV-rod are a bit off or even something in the transmission but will start try to adjust the rod.

Have the original shop manual and have get help getting other sources for information in a other forum but I still don't get the basic setting.

As I understand the car should be warm so no choke are messing with the lever on the carburetor?
How should the rod sit after you have put in the 1/4 drill?
Should just the rod go in freely in the arm on the carburetor when you have it loose and set it back?

The car is a 1964 series 62 with the hydra-matic and Carter carburetor and AC.

Thanks. :)
1964 Cadillac Series 62 4 Door 4 Window production number 842
1967 Chevrolet Camaro rs 350/M20
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3 Victory Red

//Nomen Nescio

russ austin

Disconnect the TV rod and throttle rod. Put the 1/4 drill bit into the throttle lever and set the carburetor to its idle position with the choke off.

Adjust the throttle rod to slip into the carburetor.   Loosen the nuts on the TV rod.  Hold the TV rod back towards the firewall and slip the TV rod into the carburetor bracket.  While holding the TV rod back. snug the front nut to the TV rod. You will tighten the front nut 2 full turns.  Then snug the back nut.

But I suspect your transmission seals are old and cracked, letting fluid bypass.  You are loosing internal pressure until the trans warms up.
R.Austin

M123

Thanks for the help. :)

Sadly I must say I really don't understand all the steps, it's a bit hard with the language.

When I insert the drill in the hole on the lever on the firewall I feel tension in the rod and it do pull back the rod a hair and that doesn't feel right, should it do so?

And regarding a internal leakage I so strange if ithe did come now when I did adjust the gear selector.

Did notice that some previous owner have set a return spring for the carburetor on the TV-rod. So did move it, can't be good to have a resistance on the rod, did shift better and smoother after this but still jump the 2 cold but no slip on the D4 this test drive.

Are that any more specific manual regarding this adjustment on the hydra-matic with pictures so we new beginner's on this transmission can get it better? :D

//Nomen Nescio

M123

Now the transmission works like a charm. :D

//Nomen Nescio

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day M,

You have received an email from the Moderators that needs your immediate attention.

Thanks,

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Moderator.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe