News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac sedan , driver

Started by V63, January 14, 2023, 09:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

Not mine, just a referral. In Arizona.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/pJi8Mhb4Awb

James Landi

Says he's "not taken it on the freeway" and so he's providing caution regarding safety, and that's a VERY good approach to limiting expectations-- likely discourage those who might consider attempting to drive it across the country.  As everyone on this site knows, around town driving does not stress an old car in nearly the same ways as sustained, twelve hour highway stress does--- especially regarding partially clogged and rusty engine block and cooling system, old tires, flexible brake lines, and wheel cylinders, front wheel bearings, sludged up crank case, etc. It's also interesting that we can't see the driver's side seat because of a major distraction that's, apparently, staged that way. Thanks for posting--- a lovely example that's been carefully marketed.  James

Lexi

Agree. It is also a 1955 Cadillac, not a '54. Clay/Lexi

jwwseville60

Lots of what I term "glamor shots" from a distance and not much detail.
No engine photos.
Probably a 14K dollar car.
Nice color though!
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

James Landi

Quote from: jwwseville60 on January 15, 2023, 02:44:34 PMLots of what I term "glamor shots" from a distance and not much detail.
No engine photos.
Probably a 14K dollar car.
Nice color though!

John, it would interesting for a CLC member to get a close look at it ---
perhaps we're being far too skeptical?   James

Cadillac Jack 82

A local buddy mentioned this to me the other day since its around town.  If its in fact a 54 then why does it have a 55 front end?  If its a 55...why are the chrome trim pieces missing by the trunk.  I have a lot of questions.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

V63

The owned advises the front bumper was changed in a prior ownership and a later search for a decent 1954 version did not prove fruitful.

Jw4

This is a 1954, unless someone re-did the quarter panels, which I seriously doubt. The car looks alright from the distance. What is most off-putting to me is the wedding photos. If it was actually used in the wedding business, it is most likely a "make-up" car. Which looks good either from afar, on blurry photos, or close-up at a right angle.
What I can see from the photos presented is rust on the roof, cracked wheel, poor quality paint, torn dash, and I am sure there is more  :(

After some rust buckets I've seen, recently, all of these ads look extremely suspicious.

Quote from: James Landi on January 15, 2023, 08:19:02 AMAs everyone on this site knows, around town driving does not stress an old car in nearly the same ways as sustained, twelve hour highway stress does
Isn't this actually the other way around, meaning that city driving = more stress, at least when you consider all the factors on average?
I bet the car is not recommended for Highway because it has not been properly serviced for years.

Added later:
I just re-read the ad. It looks like the car is being sold by a lady-owner with cancer. If this story actually checks out, I suspect that my original assumptions about the car might've been a bit excessive.
Ivan Beliaev

James Landi

Quote from: Jw4 on January 16, 2023, 11:38:06 PMIsn't this actually the other way around, meaning that city driving = more stress, at least when you consider all the factors on average?

Thanks Ivan for raising my questionable generalization. Driving around town in Maine, we may encounter a 30 second delay in "traffic," and outside temps rarely in excess of 80 degress--- much of the driving is rural, and it's easy to allow folks to pass you because on most roads north of Portland, there's not much traffic load... in Florida, around town driving is a grueling proposition for a decades old car--- LENGTHY traffic lights, folks driving in excess of the speed limits to make up for lost time at the multitudious lights, and, generally speaking, many days with hot temperatures and full tropical sun. So you're so right to point out my pointless generalization.   James

Cadillac Jack 82

If its a 54 then she's asking a little bit too much.  There's a nice 55 Series 60 in Washington which was done correctly for a few K less than what she's asking for.  If anyone is seriously interested and if the owner doesn't mind I'm more than happy to swing by to take a look at it.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Jw4

Quote from: James Landi on January 17, 2023, 08:34:48 AMThanks Ivan for raising my questionable generalization.
James, I am certainly not an expert either. Just sharing opinions and looking to educate myself utilizing the collective knowledge :) Based on what I've heard, working in stop-and-go traffic (or simply variable operation cycles) is supposedly expected to put more stress on the vehicle, versus a continuous run at a more or less constant speed and other operating conditions. I suspect that this might be related to a) the materials' heat expansion cycles, and b) uneven distribution of stress, maybe. For example, when you start moving, the engine supposedly needs to work harder to start the initial motion, versus when you are already moving and it is just sustaining the same rate of motion.
On the contrary, running on a highway at excessive speeds also seems to be more stressful, at least for the engine, than running at normal speeds, because you are facing more wind resistance, using more gas, etc. So I don't know. I suppose that it depends...

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on January 17, 2023, 10:19:42 AMThere's a nice 55 Series 60 in Washington which was done correctly for a few K less than what she's asking for.
That could be the case. Although, there are not many of these cars available for sale. I've read about several very good deals from auctions or classifieds, recently. Yet, at the same time, I am unable to find anything similar for a couple of month now. All the "local" cars I checked turned out to be worse than advertised (and one extremely overpriced for the given condition). There are some potentially-decent cars very far away, but when you add-up the additional expense associated with the long-distance purchase, this quickly becomes not a very good deal after all.
Ivan Beliaev

Lexi

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on January 16, 2023, 04:14:20 PMA local buddy mentioned this to me the other day since its around town.  If its in fact a 54 then why does it have a 55 front end?  If its a 55...why are the chrome trim pieces missing by the trunk.  I have a lot of questions.

My thoughts exactly. Also, regarding the following post (which I did not quote), which says the front bumper was changed due to not finding a suitable replacement part. I find it curious that the advertisement advises of all the effort invested to find and replace "original" parts, noting some items that are not nearly as important as changing the year of bumper (and look of the car), with no reference to that in the ad. In part the ad says, "I spent a lot of time and money finding original parts to restore her back to original and she's nearly complete. ". But she/he changed the appearance of the car's model year (and not mention this)? I too have many questions regarding this car. Clay/Lexi

Jw4

it was mentioned that the front was replaced by a different person (and probably a long time ago). Also, if my wife/sister had an old car, chances are, she would have absolutely no idea about its mechanical condition, what ever was done to it over the years, or anything else besides some random things (which are not necessarily even correct) she might've heard from either myself, a local mechanic, or who ever else was assisting her with maintaining the car. There are some women who actually know cars very well but they are very-very far in between.
Ivan Beliaev

Lexi

That possibility cannot be excluded however, when the advertisement claims that quote; "I spent a lot of time and money finding original parts to restore her back to original and she's nearly complete.", it is reasonable to conclude that the seller knew that the front end is wrong. One must conclude that the ad is not entirely candid or sincere, sad to say. Best to avoid unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Clay/Lexi

Jw4

People tend to exaggerate; this can get worse if they are not very familiar with the subject matter. I've heard so many "interesting things" from sellers, and it seems that many of them are actually making genuine statements, as it seems to them. Spending a lot of time and money finding original parts could literally mean looking online for the old-stock paper filter cartridges, or spark-plugs from the 50s, or some replacement trim pieces (originals versus a reproduction), or the factory floor mats ;D
Ivan Beliaev

Lexi

Could be, though prospective buyers should not have to decipher what they are reading. The ad should accurately represent the vehicle and address what the photographs show; the good, the bad and the ugly. When a seller tells me how much time and money they invested in researching parts to put the car back to originality, they are communicating to those reading the ad that they know this car and what it needs. If they don't know what they are talking about they should have their ad vetted by someone who does. If I lived close by and was interested I might check it out but otherwise I would not touch it with a barge pole. Too many unknowns. In many respects how not to represent your car in an ad. We can only judge but what we see in the advertisement. To read more into it would amount to sheer speculation which is not helpful. Clay/Lexi