News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

79 ignition switch

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, October 01, 2015, 03:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Guys this one is giving me fits.  I pulled the ignition switch off the column of my 79 CDV, and I think something slipped. The actuator rod hole is on the side of the switch and the actuator rod (attachment tang) is vertical to the column.  When I took the switch off I noticed the actuator rod was underneath the switch, between the switch and the column.  When I look at the switch when it is off, there is not way the actuator rod could have attached to the underside. 
What am I missing????
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

SixDucks

Hi Greg,

Perhaps the switch has broken or is missing a piece. I had a similar event on a 72 GM A body. In my case the switch had broken at the joint where the actuator rod engages the switch . If memory serves me right I overlooked it  until closer inspection.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Thanks Guys,
I took a nap and woke up "knowing" how the switch fit.  It seems the bracket can mount on the column so the switch is perpendicular to the4 column instead of parallel.  Then amazingly enough, the rod fits right into the hole and works.  Kind of mind numbing when you try and work out in the 99 degree sun.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-