News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trunk lid pull-down

Started by Roger Zimmermann, April 17, 2017, 03:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

1972 de Ville Serie: was the trunk pull-down standard or was it an option?
Thanks for you comments!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Optional.   It is in Group 8, and listed as accessory A90 ($56.00)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Bruce! I suppose the Eldo system must be identical or similar to the one for the de Ville Serie. Is there just a unit screwed into the trunk lid or is there smething at the body? As I'm not at home this week, I cannot check into my literature.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

The unit in the Eldorado is a cable-operated pull-down, that is actuated by a lever that is attached to the right trunk hinge bracket, and a locating arm for the shock absorber that is spot welded to the inner rear wheel arch.

The trunk release is an electric solenoid that it attached within the trunk lid to operate the lock release.

Need pictures?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Yes the same system was used on all models - Eldorado, DeVille etc.

1974 returned to electric motor driven pulldown mechanism rather than the ratchet & spring type used from 1962 - 1973.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrench

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 17, 2017, 07:14:19 PM
The unit in the Eldorado is a cable-operated pull-down, that is actuated by a lever that is attached to the right trunk hinge bracket, and a locating arm for the shock absorber that is spot welded to the inner rear wheel arch.

The trunk release is an electric solenoid that it attached within the trunk lid to operate the lock release.

Need pictures?

I could use some pics...I have a 1970 eldorado, the release works fine, the pull down mechanism is inop.

There is just a seized cable on the floor of the trunk. I have no idea how that system works, yet.

I think the previous owner rigged the latch as I can just lift up on a metal rod and reset the latch, but there are bent tabs of metal that indicate that a seized cable is not the only issue.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure if 1970 is the same, buy the operation should be.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, thanks for the pictures. It seems that the system is rather complex; to equip a car which was not built with it seems to be an illusion.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 18, 2017, 02:54:06 AM
Bruce, thanks for the pictures. It seems that the system is rather complex; to equip a car which was not built with it seems to be an illusion.

The hard part is that the bracket for the pull-down unit is spot welded to the body and is not the same as the non-pull-down unit.  But it is still possible if you have a spot welder.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Glen on April 18, 2017, 02:58:56 AM
The hard part is that the bracket for the pull-down unit is spot welded to the body and is not the same as the non-pull-down unit.  But it is still possible if you have a spot welder.   
...and all the needed parts, including the bracket for the pull-down unit!
Glen, thank you for your comments.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

I pulled the pull down unit and bracket off a ’59 in a junkyard many years ago.  the bracket suffered a little bending as I chiseled the spot welds apart.  But a little hammer work straightened it out OK.  Then I did something stupid, I sold it. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

I was thinking of trying to retrofit this in to my 1968, but it seems to be worse than trying to convert the front vent windows to power!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

It would be impossible to spot the bracket to the inner guard unless you had a hand operated spot welder with the electrodes on separate long cables, with an operating switch on one of them.

But, rosette welding would work.

I have a feeling that the bracket that encompasses the actual catch on the rear panel is also different to the non pull-down, as is the cover plate.

The cable itself just lays across the trunk floor, and with the Convertible, the spare tyre just lays on top of it, pressing it into the sound deadening.   When water gets into the trunk, it simply lays around the cable, eventually rusting the inner to the outer.

It can be freed up, but takes a lot of manual energy to accomplish this.   But, that is another story.

I can take more detailed images if you like.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 18, 2017, 02:54:06 AM

Probably so.

A CLC member here did install trunk release and pulldown on his '57 however, the pulldown mechanism is electrically driven in 1956 - 1961 making the task easier.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Actually, I think the mechanical one would be cheaper to supply, as there is very little to go wrong, but but when the cable seizes up, it can be a bear to fix.

But, the good thing about the mechanical one is that when the release button is pressed, the trunk lid opens up all the way.   This is accomplished by the lever on the hinge, forcing the hinge upward, opening the lid.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

D.Smith

It is possible to retro fit them.  As pointed out the mounting bracket for the pull down assembly is on a different bracket that is spot welded in place.  So you will need to chisel off the one from the donor car.  Make a template or notes showing exactly where it mounted so you can install it on your car in the exact same spot.    Chisel off the non-pull down mount in your car.    You can either re-spot weld the bracket in place or just drill holes in the tab ears of the bracket and bolt it down in your car.   The carpeted cover hides the bracket so welds or bolts won't show.    Then run the wires or cable to complete the installation.  Always helpful if you take detailed close-up photos of how it was mounted in the donor car.  Don't forget to grab the solenoid and wiring on the lid too.   

I've added  the electric style power trunk and pull down in a 1974 and 1975 Eldorados.   My buddy Jimmy Powers has added it to his 1968 Eldorado with the cable type system.   Not plug and play but still do-able if you take the time. 

I'd love to add it to my 1961 Sedan deVille but the parts appear to be a one year only set up and hard to find.   I've only seen a solenoid for sale and the guy won't budge off a $300 price.   He wants $2,450.00 for all the parts.   :(   

wrench

Thanks again, Bruce. Now I have a general idea of how it works. The seized cable is definitely the issue. I can take a closer look and see if I can resurrect it. I thought the sheath was too far gone, but I think the cable is the problem, I will see if I can pull another cable through the sheath with some lacing cord when I remove the old cable...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

$2,450 for a 1961 Cadillac power trunk setup?  :o

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: wrench on April 18, 2017, 06:23:53 PM
..... The seized cable is definitely the issue. I can take a closer look and see if I can resurrect it. I thought the sheath was too far gone, but I think the cable is the problem, I will see if I can pull another cable through the sheath with some lacing cord when I remove the old cable...
When I resurrected mine, I went about it a number of ways, and eventually got it working. (The only way it can seize up is by rust caused by water laying in the trunk, soaking the cable).
(1)   Firstly I tried to manually pull the inner by holding the end in a vice, and pulling on the outer, but that didn't work.
(2)   liberally spraying CRC and other stuff down the inner, to let it flow down between the inner and the outer, then manually pulling on the outer.
(3)   Carefully striking the outer along its length to try and dislodge the rust. then pulling it.

Got the inner to move a bit, but boy, was it hard work.

(4)   With lots more perseverance, got the inner to slowly move, with a lot of effort, and noticed that a wire strand was starting to creep out the end where the lock mechanism is.   Finally got the strand out, but that meant that there were loose strands inside, and will need replacement in time to come.

With more soaking and manually moving, it now works in test mode with the trunk open, and using my hands and fingers to replicate the trunk closing, but I have to help the lid close fully, by pressing down on the closed lid till I hear a click.

One day I will find a good replacement.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe