News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I have been working on it for 6 years. But I had to take the last year and a half off from the car to work on my barn.  I thought I had a roof leak over my car that rusted my hood fender and a section of my firewall. But when I tore into it it was not a roof leak. It was racoons urine dripping down through my insulation panels.  I gutted the barn, sealed it up, all new electrical, 6 inch wall insulation, 14 inch attic insulation, gas furnace, and I beam for a track lift.  I still need a new concrete floor new doors and finish the interior walls.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Clewisiii on January 21, 2020, 01:07:16 PM
.....  I thought I had a roof leak over my car that rusted my hood fender and a section of my firewall. But when I tore into it it was not a roof leak. It was racoons urine dripping down through my insulation panels.  ....
G'day Carl,

Boy, and I thought seagull poop was bad.

The Critters must have known you would be on their side, seeing as your name is Critte.n.den  ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Seats Continued
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Dash paint

Clewisiii

I still have thousands to spend to upgrade my work space. But I know I already have what could be considered dream conditions. 

Never again will those racoons mess on my car.

Clewisiii

I talked to the machine shop today. I will drop my engine off in two weeks. 7 weeks after that I will need to bring in my water pump, starter, fly wheel, carb, motor mounts, and exhaust manifolds. Then they will be able to run the motor on the Dyno.

I started reassembling my engine today to verify that I had everything. I took my water pump off before I started taking pictures. So it took me a minute to figure out all of those bolt locations. My driver side exhaust manifold was cracked so I will need to find another. I will have to check my parts car. I plan to send the water and fuel pump to Arthur Gould. Does anyone have a recommendation for the carb. Or does anyone have a good Driver exhaust manifold for 61 they would sell.  It is winter so it might be a pain digging into the parts car out in the yard.

I am still missing 1 head bolt. 1 oil pan bolt, and a few that broke while removing. I still have another motor so I should be able to scavenge a few bolts here and there.

Roger Zimmermann

Nice workshop you have, thanks maybe to those little animals!
I suppose you are saving what will soon disappear as the other forum will close. You know, I'm comfortable here too!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

6caddy2

Hello Carl, great that your here, always look forward to your post on your progress on the "61 Fleetwood" on the other forum, as there, great knowledge here, and experience! Which is an understatement!! As there, I look forward to your post and progress on "Phyllis"
                                                                                                                                                                                     Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

harry s

Carl, Super job, what an inspiration. It's hard enough to do the work let alone posting your progress and great pictures. I'm going to stay tuned in.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Clewisiii

A partial order of my bumper parts came in. There is one more box stuck in Nebraska and another in Illinois. These are not show parts. But a lot better then driver. The imperfections that I found could not be picked up by my camera.

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

"Does anyone have a recommendation for the carb. "
I used Daytona Parts company and am still happy with the function 9 years later. Doing it again I would have them do the rebuild but not opt for the full restoration service.
https://daytonaparts.com/
(386) 427-7108
1191 Turnbull Bay Rd, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

62 driver

Quote from: 6caddy2 on January 25, 2020, 09:55:14 AM
Hello Carl, great that your here, always look forward to your post on your progress on the "61 Fleetwood" on the other forum, as there, great knowledge here, and experience! Which is an understatement!! As there, I look forward to your post and progress on "Phyllis"
                                                                                                                                                                                     Joe

I am with Joe! Enjoying your posts.Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Rare color "York Blue" - nice to see for a change. Best of luck with the restoration.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

MaR

Great progress so far! I love the upholstery work. Interior work is one of the things I really, really enjoy.

Clewisiii

Box 2 of bumpers. I will need to paint the rear inserts.

Clewisiii

The bumpers all together. They look great. But there was some shipping damage. One of the corners of the large rear center was chipped. It broke through the box.

I don't know how much to complain about it. There is no real solution other then to replated the entire piece. But I also do not want to be a jerk or ship this back to Washington. I have asked the seller if he has a proposed solution. I think I will start there.

He played the aluminum surrounds. Which I do not have a problem with. But one of the pieces must have been in shadow to the anode. The copper coat is visible through the nickel.

Clewisiii

If I say there is damage I guess I have to show the damage.

Clewisiii

My inventory of the rest of the chrome I need. Only a few of these are usable to me. But these are the hard to find items. I will need to have mine replated. This is not all of it either. I have not fully disassembled my doors and this does not include the chrome window frames.

I estimate $50 to $700 each piece for replaying here.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Clewisiii on January 28, 2020, 05:03:53 PM
But one of the pieces must have been in shadow to the anode. The copper coat is visible through the nickel.
It's always difficult to have chrome at an inner surface. Usually an specific electrode is needed. Anyway, chrome is a difficult product: when I let chrome the grille from my 1:12 scale Mark II, the man said that it will probably not be good. Indeed, it was the case as grilles in general are difficult to plate. When I asked about nickel plating for that grille, he said that it's absolutely not a problem except that the "color" will not be the same. The chrome has a blue taint, nickel is towards yellow.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

Arthur Gould turned around my water and fuel pump in one and a half days. Total cost plus shipping back to me was $276.