News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Knob on firewall

Started by #1CaddyFan, April 16, 2020, 11:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Miller

It’s the hole that holds the spring that holds the oiler that oils the ring for the Thing-Ummy-Bob that’s going to win the war.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

TJ Hopland

Maybe its the on/off switch for the 100 mpg carburetor?   Its survived all these years because any time 'big oil' comes snooping you just turn the knob back to 12 mpg and no one knows the secret.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

#1CaddyFan

Hi All
The mystery is solved. Sometimes a knob is just a knob. Apparently someone decided to create a hole in the firewall where none should be. A quick twist revealed a plastic bottle cap looking thing with a wine cork plugging a hole. In the inside was nothing. No idea why some jack@#$ decided to put a hole in a perfectly good Cadillac firewall.

Thanks for the interest in my car cabin fever must be reaching a peak in the Caddy universe 😎

hornetball

Aaannnnddd . . . harvey b wins!

Thanks for the entertainment #1CaddyFan!

TJ Hopland

So now the big question are you going to leave it?   Maybe replace it with a 'period correct' one?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

#1CaddyFan

I am going to bury it and then bury the shovel. I don't know maybe put a grommet in the hole and paint it the color of the engine bay to be sonic blue ???? Any other fixes ????
Dano

Daryl Chesterman

There are plastic flush mount hole plugs made just for this kind of situation.  See the website below for examples.  You might check with the local auto parts stores to see if they have just the size you need instead of buying an assortment.

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Flush-Mount-Black-Assortment/dp/B00SZDGM3I/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+hole+plugs&qid=1587752706&sr=8-4

Daryl Chesterman

#1CaddyFan

Thanks Daryl
I will check locally and see I might have one laying around in my catch all box. Still ticked off about the extra hole in the wall.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think the best solution would be to place a rubber grommet in there, and use it as a wiring protector for an electrical cable for when you fit the inevitable Klaxon Horn that people fit to cars.

Have to wire up the one I have just fitted to mine, which fills the void where the Charcoal Canister used to be.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bctexas

Quote from: #1CaddyFan on April 24, 2020, 08:01:36 PM
Thanks Daryl
I will check locally and see I might have one laying around in my catch all box. Still ticked off about the extra hole in the wall.

Could be worse - some dunce drilled a hole in the dash of my '65 and mounted, best I can tell, a choke cable.  Nasty black knob right next to the windshield wiper control.  The other end of the cable is dangling from a ty-wrap in the engine compartment...
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

#1CaddyFan

Ouch, 
A manual choke Caddy. People never cease to amaze me. On my car I found that a p.o.had used a garden hose clamp on a power steering hose. Really ? I can't wait to see what other gremlins are hiding under the dash.
More to follow Caddy fans !

wrench

I would go for the ol’ chrome hole plug. After treating the hole to prevent corrosion.

We used to call these ‘Wilkie Buttons’
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX