News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

72 Eldorado Convertible

Started by 72Eldo, December 20, 2020, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Eldo

Hey all.. So excited I just obtained the almost identical 72 eldo to my very 1st ride in my '87 graduation year. Talk about cruises to the shore on Spring Break! Anyway, it's been 3 weeks and this baby is 90+ percent original and in amazing shape.
My main question before sharing what I have been working on is if anyone has any experience converting the heating/air system from automatic to a modern manual system?

Progress
Charging: I replaced the alternator, belt, & wiring with some eye candy chrome.
New battery...
Bulbs: I did pick up almost all interior and exterior bulbs as LEDs cheap on Amazon. Match the numbers using Cadillac shop manual.
TIP: Soak your seatbelts in OxyClean! They come out amazing. Also purchased door jamb switches much cheaper from rockauto compared to opgi, although opgi is a great resource.
Windows: Cleaned out all old grease in window tracts, sprayed new white lithium grease in and on every moving part.. Works like a charm.. Also watch the adjustment for tension on the top of the door panel. If you are pressing too hard against the window, it will cause too much friction obviously.
Axles: Currently in the process of replacing front axles since the cost is relatively inexpensive. My opinion is it's much safer to do this than to rebuild the boots, when the bearings could be on the way out.

I'll continue my restoration tasks and questions for you in this thread to be organized, if possible lol. I love all of your sweet rides as well!

Bryan Lazaroff
1972 Eldorado Convertible - Almost identical to my high school grad car.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Bryan, nice big Eldorado!!....love the color...Cognac?...or Russett Firemist?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

72Eldo

Thank you Mike!
Cognac Metallic with Antique Dark Saddle interior.
Found this build sheet the other day inside the drivers door behind the window tract lol.
Bryan Lazaroff

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bryan,

Congratulations on your purchase of a really nice looking Cadillac, and as you will see by my own Avatar, I too have a 1972 Convertible.

Plus, you have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

72Eldo

Thank you Bruce.. All corrected.

Nice 72 Cadillac that you have.. Looks like you have a Continental kit on there..
Bryan Lazaroff

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, made it myself.

Frees up a whole lot of trunk space for baggage when touring.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon