News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1934 LaSalle.....More Pictures!...gota keep punching !!

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, March 14, 2019, 05:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike,

Looks terrific.  The 33-35 GM cars have  unique style and detail. The color choice only adds to that. I think
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Ralph...

I got the fabricated bumpers back from the local metal workers....they really did a nice job recreating these impossible to find bumpers!

They took the 2 bumpers that I got with the car and cut the ends off of them and grafted them on to the new center sections they made.....they spent alot of time getting the contours right...even the the rear rumble seat step will fit nicely back on....

They charged me $1200 each for the fabrication...but in the long run the car needs these and not my hot-rod looking bumpers.....Harley Earl was better at the designing than I am....

The old bumpers were too far gone to rechrome....pitted and twisted beyond repair....

Then I pre-fitted the fabricated bumpers on the car so I could mark up and drill the holes for the bolts that hold them on....I used a pair of short pieces of rope with a slip knot in them for another pair of hands to hold everything up as I tried to pre-fit....

Check out the pictures below for the new bumpers.....I just boxed them up and shipped them off to the chromer....probably be another 3 months before they come back to me.....this Covid thing has everything backed up.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike,

Lookin' good. They'll be just like gm production when plated
2018 GMC Yukon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Got the quote back from the chrome guy.....another $1600 to chrome the 2 blades and the 3 rumble seat steps....

Nothing is inexpensive about our old cars....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

Ouch--- please explain, why is re-chroming so expensive?   Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Cadillac division created a financial subsidy to help defray these restoration expenses?  As a way to help build brand loyalty and endow the divisions legacy models.   (I'm dreaming, of course)
James

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day James,

From what I understand, the biggest cost of re-chrome plating, that is, to get a perfect job, is in (1) the preparation,  (that includes the restoration of the pieces to be chrome plated), (2) the Environmental problems with the chrome plating process, and (3) finding people that are willing to work in the horrible environments of the whole process.

Let me explain..... Remember that we are dealing with parts that have suffered years of use and abuse, corrosion and destruction, hence the need for replating.   The parts are not perfect, as was not the case with the brand new pieces that came out of the presses, with surfaces that were virtually perfect.   Those parts just needed cleaning, Copper Plating, buffing, cleaning again, Nickel plating, buffing again, then chrome plating, then straight onto the car.   These factories were mass-producing the same things, one after the other, so it was easier to do thousands, instead of one different piece at a time.

The tiniest of imperfections have to be removed, and believe me, after years of use, a steel bumper bar does suffer a lot of abuse over years of use.   A little scrape here, a bolt too much tightened there, and these spots have to be beaten and fixed before plating starts, or the customer will complain.

Diecast parts is a whole other story.   As soon as Diecast starts to degrade, it pits, and these pits have to be ground out and filled prior to plating.   Do them poorly, and the part can explode due to trapped air within the material when the process heats up the part.

The environmental concerns of the current age make it extremely expensive to perform the same processes, and the workers have to be protected.   Not sure what the life expectancy of a plating worker would have been back then, but when I was having plating done as long ago as 5 years, I would go out the back of a shop, only when allowed, and the worker would be black from head to toe, covered with the polishing compound.   That shop is now closed never to re-open again, as the efforts to try and keep up with the environmental permits, simply became too much of a burden, and the shop, and other shops would find that the people wanting parts plated just couldn't afford the prices that the owner needed to make a profit.

A vast amount of electricity is consumed as well, so there needs to be a good, reliable and uninterruptable supply close by. 

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Thank you Bruce for your comprehensive response.  The prices certainly make sense to me, and I better appreciate a set of gleaming chrome bumpers on a perfectly restored Cadillacs and LaSalles.       Appreciatively,  James

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I seem to remember that Custom Metal Shaping in LA did these bumpers years ago. I'm not sure if they're still in business.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I wanted to update the bumper situation....

I shipped them off to the chromer just 3 weeks ago and today he emailed me pictures of the finished products.....and he shipped them today !!!

Take a look....they look pretty good!....all that time and money to fabricate them and then chrome them is all coming together.....I can't wait to get them on the car.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I got the rear bumpers & the rumble seat steps back from the chromer....they look good coming out of the box....

Put them on the car and I think they look great!.....you can't tell they were fabricated....everybody did a great job!

The fabricator guys wanted me to bring the car back to show them how everything worked out.....next week I'll do that....

I'm going to save my pennies to get the exterior trim and handles chromed....maybe next year....

Took her out for a ride...stopped at a gas station and I got more than one "nice car" and "what year is that".....1934 Cadillac LaSalle....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

James Landi

Mike--- it's BRILLIANT---- love it  --- thanks to you for sharing your journey with us. James

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thank you guys!

I found the pictures the owner sent me when I bought the car.....She has come a long way....more than once I almost gave up.....

Driven hard for the first 30 years...then 50 years of sketchy storage took it's toll.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

more.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mike,

Thank you very much for your perseverance.   A truly beautiful vehicle, and a credit to you and everyone who assisted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

James Landi

Thanks for posting these---you have incredible. skill, perseverance and vision... Did you ever find anymore information about the length of time in storage, and potentially, who the original owner was?   James

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike,

That's a "stand up and whistle" car. The colors and two tone paint befit a LaSalle perfectly. The workmanship is what everyone hopes for when they start on their  dream car
2018 GMC Yukon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I can't thank you guys enough....all thru this rehab you guys encouraged me to not give up and stay the course....

The car came out pretty good because of you guys.....Bruce, James, Harry, Ralph, DaveZ, Bob R, Chris J, Tim N, Mike G, Giuseppe, Mitchell, G Newcombe....we all had a hand in this!!

Ralph, you said "will be a stand up and whistle car" about 2 years ago when the going really was getting rough....That helped alot !!

Thanks again,     

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

bobrich47

WOW Mike!  BEAUTIFULLY DONE!  The '35 & especially the '34 LaSalle coupes are 2 of the COOLEST looking cars ever built, in my opinion.  I really appreciate your perseverance.  You help me to stay focused on the end result . I'd love to see a couple videos!  Maybe a walk around your car & a quick tour of your shop. And of course hearing it purr & a bit of a drive?  Thank you Mike!
Bob Richards