News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

-51 convertible project

Started by dogbergs, February 13, 2021, 02:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbergs

Macabry, my spare wheel well was mint, believe it or not.

Thanks and keep up the good work you too!

/ Johan
-51 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-33 Ford Pick up, project

dogbergs

For some strange reason this has been over me like a dark cloud a couple of months, its just.. I really dont.. well I'm not comfortable going under there, fragile things connected with old cables and you better have some structure what you're tearing apart...

It was not dangerous at all! Came down nice and easy and most of the cables looking really good. I will go through them and do some minor repair and cleaning. Really nice to have it all revealed and easy to work with.

Added,

Will not do full dash resto with paint and chrome at this point. One of things I thought was really badly done to the -53 sedan was interior paint job, they just wiped out the cars history with a bad paint job, can't really forget this. So to make up for someone elses mistake I just don't this time. We give it some tender care and let the history remain.
Radio is sent away for professional love and care.

-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

James Landi

I'm a great believer in tsking many cell phone pictures "lest I forget" where wires connect. Looks like great progress has been made.  I remain very respectful of your fine work.  James

dogbergs

Thank you James.

Yes, in my case maybe the most used function, for remembering and seeing things where you can't get your head.

/ Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Working a little on each side of the shop, prepping for sanding, primer/ filler on one side.
On the other side the first shy cut ever by my hand on this Swiss made Sip jig borer from 1958.
No, not the original 331, it's an 11 year younger brother with some improvements made along the years and some more power to give.
Still a Cadillac engine, still looking pretty the same.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Had to share one more just for the beauty of this machine.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Gathering the pieces that will go in the first round, probably will eat the wallet inside out anyway.
All but 1 side glass were broken so we go for all new there, windshield arrived at the glass shop 2 weeks ago.
Lookin at Steele Rubber for rubber products, anyone has some input? Guess there can not be so many competitors?
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I guess the fender spears have been replaced sometime, seems to be stainless. Is -53 the first year of stainless spears?

And the most likely correct answer came from jmurrayent.

-51 was probably the transition year so you could get what there was.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Plan is primer/filler next week and hopefully some colour the week after that.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I'm very happy to say that game plan was held all the way. 2 weeks of work and I'm quite satisfied with the result. I've never before painted a whole car but I guess this was a good first one, with all large body panels off. Now it's only the rest to come..
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Since this is a bit anarchistic resto, where anything that suits me is okay, as you already understood..
Found a bed liner that looked almost factory for my early B-body Mopars and since it was available and likeable, just went for it.

-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

Eldovert

Johan,

The car looks 1000% better. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,Pat MacPhail

dogbergs

Thank you very much Pat, and cheers right back!

Best / Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Little off topic but here I got lost to the Cadillac transition models between the 40's and 50's designs.
My old sedan, lives in Finland now. My son, before almost everything.
Suitable it's reply #53.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

CadillacGlasses

Johan, This project is inspiring, and that color you're painting your car in is amazing, I'm really excited to see the rest of the panels when they're coated!
-Mike
29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)

dogbergs

Thanks Mike, I'm really happy with the color too. will assemble some on the body before start painting the other parts but pretty excited myself, tell you that!.

/ Johan
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

I will gladly, thankfully admit that I got some help rebuilding the old Hydra matic. Svante Eriksson, drag racing legend from the seventies with "Norrlandsjeepen" 1,2 and 3 all in different shapes, did the rebuild for me. He's a neighbor to my shop and a pro with transmissions, everything mechanical else too by the way. I used a bell from -55 and cut it some, to hopefully fit the short back 390 block and be able to reach the torus cover bolts, still waiting for the correct flywheel, so the -55 starter will fit. This is like everything else, -let's try and see if it works!.
Block is bored and honed ,030 over, washed a couple of times and ready, the thing holds me back now is thinking about balancing crank and flywheel together and still waiting for that flywheel to come sailing over the great ocean.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Started some plumbing business yesterday, was hoping to use the old factory steel pipes for hydro lectric system, but no.. Too much rust and I've only seen the outside. Will use soft copper lines instead. Top control valve was quite stuck but came out ok, only had to replace solenoid springs.

Added,

Yes, the Bitumen business had to come first.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

This looks almost beyond..

Added;

It came apart without breaking anything, and thats a good sign.
But I should mention the bronze bearing came out with shaft and that created some hours..

Added II;

And it woked from dead, feelin lucky! I just recently saw what Caddy daddy asked for a repro.

Peace and TRUE democracy for the world.

Slava Ukraini.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA

dogbergs

Took a pause on the Hydro-lectric and trying to find a place for all loose ends.
Doing some kind of bending test for which and where to replace, if it bends easy without breaking it stays.
It sure has been some electricians here before me.
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-42 Harley WLA