News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

100,000mile 76 timing set

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, September 02, 2021, 05:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

For those who say that timing sets should be changed without checking them on "older (70's) motors, here is one with 100,000 miles on a 76 Motor.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

Yes, but while that nylon gear is oh so quiet, isn't it a ticking time bomb just waiting to bend a *&%#-load of valves?

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

wheikkila

Good Evening
One quick question. How much play is in that chain? You may have gotten lucky that the plastic gear has not broken apart. I can tell you that more have broken then the number of good ones making it to 100.000 miles or more. I can't tell you how many I have replaced and had to remove the pan to clean out all the pieces. It is nice that you are able to replace it before any damage is done. It is time to celebrate.
Thanks Wayne 

TJ Hopland

I had one that looked like that about 10 years ago.  2 months later it shed all that pesky plastic.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Well guys you can stop worrying, the timing set is going to be changed, but the point is twofold. First of all they don't automatically go bad with age OR mileage (I had one go out after 300,000 miles and 40 years and I have had to replace the one on my 66 with only 37,000 miles. The point is check before you jump into timing set replacement, especially with an non interference (large chamber heads) motor.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadlove

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here?

Like boasting you tried Russian Roulette with a gun all day and managed not to blow your brains out?

We had a '73 Brougham, eight years old, 41,000 that jumped a tooth. We worked that out and changed it. 

You have to remove the front of the motor to see the timing gear, so change them. The nylon teeth wear thin, break off and they need changing. I don't understand what you're trying to tell us Greg? JP

V63

My 70 convertible set went out at 100,000, Pomona California for swap meet. Stopped at a stop light and it 'stalled' never to restart. Had to go to a pep boys there and rent a car yadda yadda

In this day of optical camera devices such as bore scopes an effective inspection can be made through the fuel pump mounting hole or the distributor hole.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: chrisntam on September 02, 2021, 06:11:28 PM
Yes, but while that nylon gear is oh so quiet, isn't it a ticking time bomb just waiting to bend a *&%#-load of valves?

Only a concern on interference engine which I believe not the case after 1973. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadlove

Still not sure why you need to see your 40 plus year old nylon toothed timing wheel?

It's a time served service item.

Seeing it cannot tell you when it's going to suddenly shed teeth? JP

bcroe

You can chose the time, place, and personal to do preventative maintenance,
or let the car chose them for you (and add towing). 

When I drive to the coast and back (any coast), I want no car trouble. 
Others may only drive to the store.  Bruce Roe

wheikkila

I get your point in a way. we have the tools to check the gear set before we tear the front cover off. And that is good. But it doesn't change the fact the if you have a plastic gear regardless of age or miles it needs to be changed. It is not, if it will brake. But when. The big issue is if you replace it before it brakes you will save a lot of time and money not pulling the oil pan. If it brakes and you don't remove the pan. Then all that ends up in the pickup. Now you just reduced your oil to the engine. I purchased and drove a 98 suburban to 300,000 miles. Never had to do anything to it. Other then general maintenance a water pump and alternator. It still looked and ran great when I gave it to my brother. How drove it for serval years. But I haven't had that luck with any of my other new vehicles. One out of 100,000 or more is not the norm. Like I said. I glad you got to choose the time and place for the replacement.
Thanks Wayne     

V63

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 03, 2021, 01:04:32 PM
Only a concern on interference engine which I believe not the case after 1973.

Were any Cadillac engines interference??? Let's say 1981 or older? My 70 did not bend valves with it's incident.

J. Doogla

Reuse it in one of those big cube engines you talk about.

I sort of doubt that anything short of the Cloyes "hardened gears and chain could hold up to a 300# spring valve train.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille