News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970-472 rebuild "with benefits"

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, August 06, 2021, 12:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

One has to remember that in the advertising "Wars" back in the day of the Muscle Cars, every manufacturer over-stated what the numbers were, in a lot of cases to get bragging rights.

I remember that when the NHRA used advertised figures to set classes, some manufacturers in the stock classes found that their cars were competing against cars with more power, simply because the makers understated their figures.

I recall where GM totally understated the figures for the high-powered Corvettes, like the L88 and the like, and when these engines were actually put onto Dynos, they produced more power than advertised.

It was, I believe, the reason for going to the change in measurements in '71, as the ultra-high figures were really annoying the Insurance Industry and the safety-conscious individuals.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

"If I want to go faster I have the 73."

Yeah, I hear ya!   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadman-iac

That's true Bruce, I remember them fudging the numbers to hide it from the insurance companies, and I'm sure they went the other way with other vehicles to make things look better than they were to prospective buyers.
I forgot they dropped the  compression in 70, I was remembering the 69 stats as I had a 69 'vert back in 80's.
So the advertised ratio was not far off from the actual ratio that Greg came up with. The confusion was all on part.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Big Fins

'70 was the last year of the high compression engines. '71 was downgraded. That's why the '70 is the sought after Cadillac engine to 'build'.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

scotth3886

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 08, 2021, 07:01:40 PM
One has to remember that in the advertising "Wars" back in the day of the Muscle Cars, every manufacturer over-stated what the numbers were, in a lot of cases to get bragging rights.

I remember that when the NHRA used advertised figures to set classes, some manufacturers in the stock classes found that their cars were competing against cars with more power, simply because the makers understated their figures.

I recall where GM totally understated the figures for the high-powered Corvettes, like the L88 and the like, and when these engines were actually put onto Dynos, they produced more power than advertised.

It was, I believe, the reason for going to the change in measurements in '71, as the ultra-high figures were really annoying the Insurance Industry and the safety-conscious individuals.

Bruce. >:D

GM's 'brand P' did it up and down the line.  Manufacture F advertised the 428 CJ and SCJ at 335hp and then the milder 428 at 345hp in the full size.