News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

For Sale Roy Schneider Book-Cadillac 1950-1959 Motor Cars

Started by Archie, April 07, 2022, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie

Excellent condition. Rare, and wonderful resource.  Please email me directly at acalise@cox.net.  Asking $300.

fishnjim

What edition?   One is less and one is more expensive.

Lexi

Quote from: fishnjim on April 07, 2022, 05:19:55 PM
What edition?   One is less and one is more expensive.

Yes. And is it autographed? Roy signed a lot of the later ones. Edition information, DJ present or not (if so issued), and other similar factors impact price but car people usually don't mention them. Clay/Lexi

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Lexi

All other things being equal, usually the First edition of a book is more valuable, but not sure in this case. For starters the seller does not state what edition this volume is. Sometimes this unfortunately requires research by the seller. I am also not certain what edition commands the greater value as I have not studied the comparables. The first edition of this work was issued in a cheaper bound set of pictorial boards, as I recall. It was later issued if memory serves with cloth boards, (once or twice?) which is often the sign of better quality. Usually. Assuming that the paper grade used was at least equal to or exceeded that of the earlier edition, it may command a higher price. Again, research is required. That said, if it proves to have been issued in greater numbers than the 1st, perhaps not, (as rarity can be a factor). Again, I have not studied this particular work. I do not think any of these editions were issued with DJs, (an oddity for this time period) but at least one of the editions of the 1940s Cadillac Schneider books was.

From what has been posted on this '50s volume here, it's price seems inflated as supportive key information is missing. Perhaps this was Schneider's personal copy and autographed, etc., so a great association copy which can sometimes increase the price, (to name an example). Further, that "excellent" condition can mean different things but it is not a standard term that "book people" use for listing a book for sale. I think I know what the seller means, BUT... it also tells me that there may be certain issues with this book that would normally be listed to inform the buyer its condition with precision, (though are absent in the listing). I don't imply that the seller is hiding anything but there may be key information not listed because they may not seem important to him if he is not a "book person", so to speak.

This may seem nit picking to some and I would agree that it is not so important with a cheap book. But when spending hundreds of dollars on one volume it becomes very important. Therefore with this listing it is not possible to properly assign a price at this time based on the information provided. Clay/Lexi

jamesharp2233

ohh my god

Lexi

I pulled my 2 copies and did a little research. The first edition of the '50s book was called "AUTOMOBILE HERITAGE'S ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO 1950 THRU 1959 CADILLAC" as per the cover title. This title is also replicated down the spine, however the book's title page reads, "AUTOMOBILE HERITAGE'S ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO CADILLAC 1950 THRU 1959". Publishing information is; Automobile Heritage Publishing Co., Temple City, Ca. 1978. I had purchased my copy in 1978 or 1979 and paid $32.95 (Canadian), for it new. So it was not a cheap book. It is the one with the blue and white pictorial boards with a slight embossed pebble grain finish, (see attached image). 240 printed pages as stated. Not issued with a DJ.

My other copy which I believe is the 3rd edition, bears the title "CADILLAC 1950 - 1959 MOTOR CARS" in gold gilt lettering on it's "Cadillac blue" cloth cover. The spine says "CADILLAC 1950 1959". The title page says "CADILLAC AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO 1950 THRU 1959 MOTOR CARS". Publishing data is Published by Cadillac Motorbooks an imprint of Royco Publishing, 1996. See 2nd attached image. 240 printed pages as stated. Not issued with a DJ.

I believe the 2nd edition was printed in 1990 and is probably the same as the 3rd, however the cloth cover bears silver script, rather than gold. See attached image which I found on the net. I have not personally handled the second edition so have no further information on it, except that it also appears not to have been issued with a DJ. Some sources on a biblio site quoted a 1989 date, which if true might indicate there are 4 editions, rather than 3. Not sure if accurate, though the one pictured here on its title page noted the year of publication as 1990. None of these volumes state what edition they actually are.

The paper quality of the "1st" when compared to the "3rd" edition is consistent with perhaps the third being slightly better. The paper is of a high quality acid free stock and professionally bound. The pictorial boards of the first is in my opinion inferior to later editions and is more apt to show wear. Editions "2 and 3" are interestingly both "Cadillac blue" cloth in color and appear more like they are bound in a Master Parts List like cover, design wise.  Quick check of the usual sites seem to reveal that the 1st edition is the most "common" edition and lists for less money. Probably indicative of both the inferior cover as well as perhaps more copies available, but still an uncommon title. Seems the later editions are more difficult to find, even "scarce". They are the ones that list and apparently sell for more money.

From a book collecting perspective I would now say that the most handsome, costly and desirable edition would be the 3rd with that stunning gold guilt cover. At this time I am not certain of what revisions either of the later editions may have, though Schneider's book advertising pamphlet indicates that revisions were made. My copy is signed by Roy as apparently he attended shows and signed some of the books he sold. His business card implied that he was indeed linked to or responsible for "Cadillac Motorbooks" with the address in both of my editions being the same. "Royco Publishing" which appears in later editions appears to be a company name comprised of Schneider's first name.

I would highly recommend obtaining a copy of any edition of this volume as it is indispensable to the 1950's Cadillac connoisseur.

I would also be interested in learning whether additional editions of this book exist and also as to whether there was a flyer or hand out dedicated to 1950s volume (as there was for the '40s and '60s Cadillac books published).  Would love to obtain a copy of that for my collection. Drop me a line! Clay/Lexi

jdemerson

Quote from: Lexi on April 22, 2022, 04:59:08 PM
My other copy which I believe is the 3rd edition, bears the title "CADILLAC 1950 - 1959 MOTOR CARS" in gold gilt lettering on it's "Cadillac blue" cloth cover. The spine says "CADILLAC 1950 1959". The title page says "CADILLAC AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO 1950 THRU 1959 MOTOR CARS". Publishing data is Published by Cadillac Motorbooks an imprint of Royco Publishing, 1996. See 2nd attached image. 240 printed pages as stated. Not issued with a DJ.

I have this third edition, and it is exactly as Clay describes -- dark blue hard cloth covers with gold printing. For reference, I paid $166 with shipping for it in 2015. I don't recall how I came to have two copies of this book, but I sold one copy over this forum for  $115 in 2015. I believe that both of my copies were in excellent condition--the one I have in front of me definitely is "near mint".

If there was a newer edition than this 1996 version by Royco, that would be news to me...

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Lexi

John thanks. Always nice to hear from a member who collects paper, books etc., on this subject matter. That is what I thought, 3 editions. The 1996 (Gold Gilt) edition was advertised by Roy in an advertising handout as having been revised. Not sure if that also pertains to the 1990 (Silver) edition. The later editions are more scarce and in keeping with most car guys mind set; a volume with revisions would probably be more desirable. It may also add to the value as most of us also treat these books as reference/text books of sorts. So having the most correct info in them is also important & may impact value. Pricing seem to be all over the map for the '50s book, but not so much with the '40s and '60s volumes.  Have seen the 1996 '50s edition advertised from around $200 to over $5,000.00 USD (which is ridiculous). The buyer is advised to shop around. Does anyone have any information on how many Roy had printed on any of these volumes and/or editions? Clay/Lexi

jamesharp2233

Quote from: jdemerson on April 25, 2022, 07:08:06 AM
I have this third edition, and it is exactly as Clay describes -- dark blue hard cloth covers with gold printing. For reference, I paid $166 with shipping for it in 2015. I don't recall how I came to have two copies of this book, but I sold one copy over this forum for  $115 in 2015. I believe that both of my copies were in excellent condition--the one I have in front of me definitely is "near mint".

If there was a newer edition than this 1996 version by Royco, that would be news to me...

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
The book is really cool. I would like to know this edition. And look at least her photos. I am a collector and collect these things. I want to read it, but due to problems in college, I can't. I must to write about childhood obesity, using https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/childhood-obesity/ for that. Children are all we have, don't forget. As for this book, I already have one edition, I want to get another one..

Archie

Bears the title "CADILLAC 1950 - 1959 MOTOR CARS" in gold gilt lettering on it's "Cadillac blue" cloth cover. The spine says "CADILLAC 1950 1959". The title page says "CADILLAC AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO 1950 THRU 1959 MOTOR CARS". Publishing data is Published by Cadillac Motorbooks an imprint of Royco Publishing, 1996.

Just reiterating my original request that anyone with interest please email me directly at acalise@cox.net.
Thank you again.