News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

AC Delco Rebuit A-6 comprssor

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, April 08, 2022, 11:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Awhile back I posted my issues with Rock Auto and the "genuine" AC Delco rebuilt A-6 compressors. Well, things have quieted down here and before I throw out the "shrapnel" I just wanted to show you how the compressor in question disintegrated.  Was working perfectly, no noise and cooling well, having been converted back to R-12 (from R-414b). Shut the car off, did a little grocery shopping and when driving home, lost cooling so I shut off the AC (put it to economy to get some fresh air.  When I got home I saw smoke coming out from under the hood, opened the hood and found the hood pan smoldering.Hosed down the hood pan, closed the hood and left the car for 3 days so it (me) could cool down.
This is what ended up coming off the compressor.  As I said in the previous post, I have a good collection of compressor parts so I used one of mine to get the system back up and running. Works perfectly.
Rock auto, being un reachable by anything but an vague messaging e-mail system refused any responsibility, and would not even entertain the suggestion of paying for the clutch. They have fallen from grace in my view, as have "Genuine AC Delco rebuilts".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Big Fins

That looks to me like the compressor locked up internally or the pulley bearing seized and the clutch stayed engaged. But you say you repaired it and it operates correctly now. Did you find the root cause?

Wondering if the rebuilder tightened the clutch up a little too much and clearance wasn't proper.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

scotth3886

Can't wait for the day I have to deal with this as I still have the original compressor in my 66

Nope, The compressor was and still is okay (so far). I always check the clutch clearance (I use 0.027"), drain and refill the oil, exercise the compressor (rotate it a couple dozen times), check the pulley bearing, and prime the oil pump before I install a compressor.  I am going to guess that this clutch/pulley came off another core that was probably either seized or somehow damaged.  The bearing was somehow still good enough for me to turn off the AC and drive home without any undue noise or other mess.
Whatever the case I believe they should have had a closer look at the clutch/pulley before they re-used it. Part of my retraction of "endorsement" for AC Delco rebuilts.
I have NEVER had one come apart like this in over 50 years.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

2manycars

I had Original Air in Tampa rebuild the A/C compressor on my 64. I had them do a full restoration on it. It was significantly more $$ than rockauto, but it is beautiful. They had to replace the whole gut pack in it. It has a new clutch on it, and is painted and stamped as original. I put a repro sticker back on it. The system is not charged yet, so I have to wait and see how it will perform. My entire system was rebuilt by them and is set up to use R12 as original. I am a happy camper so far.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

CaddySteve

if you dont mind, how much was the Original Air rebuild/refurbish service?

2manycars

Quote from: sdsu on April 15, 2022, 02:59:09 PM
if you dont mind, how much was the Original Air rebuild/refurbish service?
It was quoted at $440, but it turned out to be broken internally, and required a core gut pack at $125 additional. Looks like a new one.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

CaddySteve

JLanteigne75

Greg,

I appreciate the update.  I just installed a rebuilt AC Delco A-6 in my 76 Sedan Deville.  I purchased mine from Amazon though.
I got the job done just before I put it away for the winter and it was working great. Hopefully mine does not face the same fate as yours this summer.  Will update!

Jonathan
Jonny Lanteigne
1976 Sedan Deville Hardtop

Jonathan,
I would not look for this type of failure, since in all the time I have been working on these systems, this is the first example of that I have seen.  My intent in starting this thread was to agree with many who have had bad luck with AC Delco rebuilt compressors lately. It seems they are not up to the caliber that we previously expected from them.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Cadillac Jack 82

Lord thats awful.  Makes me worried when I use my A-5 compressor on my 55.  If that were to break I'm not even sure I could find a replacement...
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper