News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957/1958 Rear Windscreen

Started by dn010, March 28, 2022, 03:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

I have a rear windscreen for a 1957 or 1958 Cadillac. Came out of either a sedan or coupe - I don't remember which but as far as I know they're the same anyway. It might have a chip or two around the edge where the rubber goes, so you won't even see them.

The problem comes with shipping: I live in Florida and this glass is sitting at my parents house in upstate New York in zip 12747. I am not up there to prep this for shipping and can't ask my parents who are getting older to do it. Therefore, it would need to be picked up.

I see these going anywhere from $165 to $400. Asking $75 for the glass.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

dn010

Bringing this to the top, unfortunately it will be my last attempt before I instruct for this to be destroyed in June.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

Pete 57 CDV

dn010

The glass is still there. If you're interested, I can double check the condition of it and get you a few photos. Let me know. Thanks.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

Pete 57 CDV

Quote from: dn010 on November 07, 2022, 11:03:13 AMThe glass is still there. If you're interested, I can double check the condition of it and get you a few photos. Let me know. Thanks.
That would be great, I'm looking for a coupe rear windscreen. Thanks!

Roger Zimmermann

Unfortunately, they are not the same. There is a specific part for the 57 sedans, another for the 58 sedans. 57 & 58 coupes have a common back window, not shared with the sedans.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

I have a sedan and also had a coupe. At one point, I removed the back glass from both. Considering one of the windscreens went back into my sedan without issue, I'm confident this spare glass is from the coupe otherwise I assume I'd have fitment or leak issues.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

Roger Zimmermann

Unfortunately, the parts list never says about the differences between each part number...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

Unfortunately your email address was cut off when sent via PM, so here are some photos of the windscreen. I should have some more this weekend. The windscreen still has no cracks or issue areas.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

Pete 57 CDV

Sent a pm but just in case my email is petertstocksemail addresses not permitted.  let me know how to pay and address and we can figure out the details. Thanks so much.

cadillac ken

I can assure you the Coupe and Sedan windshields are different.  The Sedan is about 2" taller-- deceiving since it is the same looking shape.

Pretty important to know which is which if someone pays the crazy shipping for it.

dn010

This is a rear windscreen, not windshield. As stated, I had both a coupe and sedan and at one time took the back glass out of both. The sedan had a windscreen put back in and it fit with no problem so again, if they are different, then this one for sale is the coupe version otherwise the sedan's current would not be fitting so well. I may have even discovered the difference(s) back then but I can't remember what I did 15 years ago.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

Pete 57 CDV

I'll cone over, pay, take it home and settle it! I pm'd already.

dn010

PM responded to, looking forward to moving this to call/email. Thanks.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

dn010

Tried PMing my email address and calling - left a voicemail the other day. Basically my dad was able to inspect the windscreen again and realized there is a chip on the edge with some bubbling around it. The seal would cover the chip and probably half the bubble, you could see were the original seal stopped. He said he threw some concrete near where I have all my glass kept outside and one piece rolled down the hill and must have struck this. Photos below. This is the whole reason this deal is taking this long- I thought it better to make sure the glass is inspected and everything disclosed before plans were made, trips were set and money spent.

IMG-0932.JPG
IMG-0934.JPG 
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

Roger Zimmermann

Now, I'm unsure: is that laminated glass? Usually, only the windshield is laminated, the rear glass is a tempered one. From my seat in front of the PC, I cannot see what kind of window you have.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

100% certain this is the rear windscreen, the front windshield of the coupe had a huge hole in it. Now that you mention it, I do not see a line down the middle of the glass edge where the laminate would be. The only thing I can surmise without seeing it in person is that the rock took out a circular chip of glass? I'll have to ask my father to investigate further, maybe put me on a video call to where I can see it better than the photos he has sent.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

dn010

It is reported that the glass is smooth on both sides and the chip is only missing a sliver of glass on the inside. Stress fracture? Latest pictures.

IMG-0943.JPG
IMG-0941.JPG 
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

dn010

Giving this a bump. Still available although I'm not sure for how much longer.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean