News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac’s with the most interior room in your opinion

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, January 13, 2023, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

As massive as some of our Cadillacs are, I feel like sometimes the interiors can actually seem a bit tight especially on the rear passenger legroom side of things.

The years do matter as well, and sometimes I feel like whatever Cadillac had on paper as the specs, isn't what it seemed to be In real life.

For instance in my 64 SDV, the rear passenger legroom is tight considering how large the wheelbase is. And entering and exiting the car can be a pain because of how low the car sits. So it makes it a struggle at times.

Yet in the 70's, Cadillac interiors and the exterior grew larger with increased legroom up front and in the backseat with pretty much the same wheelbase that Cadillac used since the 1950's at 129.5-130 inches long. I believe the styling of the cars has something to do with it but again this goes to show that having a long wheelbase car doesn't always translate into having the largest interior with best amount of legroom.

What I find even more fascinating is how extremely huge the interior is in every dimension in my 54 Fleetwood in comparison to every other Cadillac I have ever owned or have sat in. The legroom and headroom alone is limousine living room size big. But you could say that of even the 62 series and Deville cars which I think have the same interior dimensions as the Fleetwoods. The mid 50's Cadillacs are tall broad shoulders cars, like an offensive or defensive lineman.

The actual physical differences in length and width between the '64 and the '54 Cadillacs aren't all that much different.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It would surprise many people to know how little legroom there is in Cadillacs of the '50s through '76 despite their massive exterior proportions. They would be even more surprised to learn that in many cases, interior room actually increased when the cars started becoming smaller on the outside.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

You guys are correct. Hardly any leg room back there. Of the Cadillac production models the Series 75s would I imagine have the most interior room by far, (not counting the Commercial vehicles). I got 2 rows of rear back seats in mine, one of which can fold up into the bulkhead. You can camp out back there. Tons of room. Looks like Cadillac shortened the trunk, as as well as lengthened the wheel base to increase the interior of these models, mainly for the rear area salon passengers. Modern drivers are sometimes astonished at how little room there is in the front seat of my car as the bulkhead limits the front seat travel fore and aft. If you have a big gut it could be challenging sitting behind the wheel. Better with other models. My buddies 1962 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible is horrendous to get in and out of the backseat area and as I recall once in, there is not much leg room when you consider you are sitting in a car the size of a "whale".

Cars are a little like houses in that the designers don't have to be as mindful of the interior space when they got so much square feet to work with. Smaller homes often tend to have more thoughtful layouts as their spatial limitation dictate more how that space is used. I think Eric is correct in that the newer, smaller Cads after 1976 sometimes had a more generous interior (with a smaller exterior). Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

Older cars you would have much more vertical lines. So your feet do not go that far under the IP and the front seat back is straight up and down.  Nowrr cars became more angled so you had more room under IP and some seat back overhang.  This gave you the feeling of more room
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

Anyone else have a 71-78 Eldo and a 79-85 at the same time?  Considering how much different they are externally at least for the driver I would say it feels like there is more room in the 79-85. 

I didn't notice it at first but after driving my 80 for the winter getting in the 73 in the spring it really felt small. 

When full center consoles started to take over every car started to feel tiny to me.  I get some people don't like benches but why they got to take up all that space?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 13, 2023, 08:03:18 PMWhen full center consoles started to take over every car started to feel tiny to me.  I get some people don't like benches but why they got to take up all that space?   
One of the major reasons for the appearance of the centre console was to delete the centre seating position, so that the car makers didn't have to manufacture and design seat belts, and SRS (Air Bags) for that position.

Plus, as cars became smaller (narrower), it was easy to get rid of the central seating position, and say it was a design feature.   And, easier to fit floor shifting for the transmission to get it off the Steering Column, and cup holders, and a myriad of "pockets" for putting stuff.   Imagine trying to fit a 6 speed column shift and still allow for a collapsible column.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

A 70's Cadillac can easily fit 3 full size average height adults back there in comfort, you really can't say that of a mid size car made today or even a modern Mercedes S-Class. You most likely need to step into an SUV for that.

Just imagine how much more interior room would be had if Cadillac shrunk both the front and rear overhangs by not making the trunks and hoods so long? But kept the physical length the same? You would literally have a mini mansion on wheels lol.

Modern vehicles focus on space efficiency over styling, that would make short vehicles look better like the old cars.

When I had my 87 Brougham, I found the back seats to be much more comfortable to sit in and the legroom was better as well compared to my 94 Fleetwood Brougham that is physically larger than the 87. The 87 however felt tighter on the inside than the 94 because of its bubbly styling, it felt more airy.

The great Charles Fares owned a the small FWD 89 Fleetwood Sixty Special that was absolutely beautiful. To my surprise that car had a lot of room inside. The rear passenger legroom was massive for how short the car is. It was a very nice car for its time.

IMO the 54-56 Cadillacs Sedans had the most of amount of rear passenger legroom than any other Cadillac I've experienced. Even the hip room is extremely generous at 65 inches. The headroom is amazing as well.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Lexi

Quote from: 64\/54Cadillacking on January 13, 2023, 11:17:24 PMIMO the 54-56 Cadillacs Sedans had the most of amount of rear passenger legroom than any other Cadillac I've experienced. Even the hip room is extremely generous at 65 inches. The headroom is amazing as well.

The '56 Series 75 as I recall was advertised as the car with high head room. Think it was about 3 inches taller than the other models. These are massive vehicles and because of their shape they look even bigger. Clay/Lexi

Artistic Precision

Not sure the exact models, but obviously any of the "limos" would have the most room. The ones that come to mind, that I've seen, are the early 60s, like 62-64s where the rear sections are designed to have more room back there to be driven as limos. Also, not as wide as the 50s and 60s boats, but the 30s 4 doors also designed as limos look to have quite a bit of room front to back, but being narrower cars you wont get as much elbow room as the big boats.

Roger Zimmermann

US cars have in general a poor space utilization. All is in the look, how to "load" people is a second thought.
When I had to let repair the front and rear seat bottoms from my '72 coupe de Ville, I could load them on the rear seat from my '2011 DTS. However, the 72 car is way wider than the DTS!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Lexi on January 14, 2023, 12:00:07 AMThe '56 Series 75 as I recall was advertised as the car with high head room. Think it was about 3 inches taller than the other models. These are massive vehicles and because of their shape they look even bigger. Clay/Lexi

Their overall roundish and taller appearance with all that body work does give them a very beefy stout appearance much more so than any other decade. The 75 series limos did have a slightly taller
roofline, you're correct. I saw an old photo online somewhere of used early-mid 50's Cadillacs on a lot for sale from around the mid-late 1960's being advertised sitting next to few year old 60's Cads.

And you can tell how much more massive and imposing the 50's cars looked vs the more sleek, longer looking and slender 60's models. I love most decades including Cads from the 1930's-40's. All of those years too were just great for Cadillac.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Artistic Precision on January 14, 2023, 02:34:05 AMNot sure the exact models, but obviously any of the "limos" would have the most room. The ones that come to mind, that I've seen, are the early 60s, like 62-64s where the rear sections are designed to have more room back there to be driven as limos. Also, not as wide as the 50s and 60s boats, but the 30s 4 doors also designed as limos look to have quite a bit of room front to back, but being narrower cars you wont get as much elbow room as the big boats.

The 30's-40's Cadillacs were also very upright tall and narrow cars. Much like the modern Crossover and SUV. Ease of entry was ideal for the human body.

What I like about them a lot is how the backseat sat up much higher than the floor pan. This allowed actual living room sofa like seating positions as if you were at home. More so than any other decade.

It reminds me when I took care of an old friend of mine that used to own a 39 Chevy Fleetmaster deluxe with the straight 6 cylinder. A very smooth engine I might add, well I remember how large that back seat was compared to the short length of the car. The front seat wasn't that wide and but the seats were tall and comfortable. I like having to sorta climb back in the rear seat because you felt like you can see everything in front of you, no slouching or feeling like you're sitting on the ground, it was just right.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 14, 2023, 03:17:14 AMUS cars have in general a poor space utilization. All is in the look, how to "load" people is a second thought.
When I had to let repair the front and rear seat bottoms from my '72 coupe de Ville, I could load them on the rear seat from my '2011 DTS. However, the 72 car is way wider than the DTS!

Very true. Back then styling was the utmost of importance to buyers and to the automakers.

When the station wagons first came out, it completely changed the way consumers thought about space in a vehicle. Since trucks back then was mostly utilitarian and not family friendly, the station wagon filled in that gap for large families.

Cadillacs were cars made for older people that were generally wealthy and maybe retired. No kids in the house anymore, driven by the husband or wife, and occasionally a night on the town during the weekend with friends. You'd be surprised how many people you could stuff into our old Cadillacs though, considering how space inefficient they can be.

When I used to own my '72 SDV, I routinely packed that car up with my friends and our girlfriends too with no problem. I think I fit 9 people max  (4 up front and 5 in the back) once or twice, and drive to Tijuana across the border into Mexico to party. Those were some good times.  8)  :D

This was when TJ was safer, I couldn't imagine taking that car across the border today.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

James Landi

"What I find even more fascinating is how extremely huge the interior is in every dimension in my 54 Fleetwood in comparison to every other Cadillac I have ever owned or have sat in. The legroom and headroom alone is limousine living room size big. But you could say that of even the 62 series and Deville cars which I think have the same interior dimensions as the Fleetwoods. The mid 50's Cadillacs are tall broad shoulders cars, like an offensive or defensive lineman."

An interesting discussion, especially for me, having driven '56 Cadillacs throughout the mid 60's to the  mid 70's. My SDV's (short deck models) looked absolutely ancient thoughout my period of ownership.  In large parking lots full of CARS (no suv's then), finding my '56 SDV was very easy--- the roof was many inches taller than any other car in the lot.... and yes, it was easy to enter, and the couch-like living room seating was all about being comfortable.  Following the 64 model year, Cadillac began designing sedans with higher profiles, and the 69 model year up through the 76 model year was more like my 56 --- designed for comfort and not COMPETITION driving.

scotth3886

I have a decent amount at least in the rear.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AtToHTXC2mzroG8f8

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The coupe door of a 1977 is 4" longer than that of a 1976 for better rear seat ingress/egress despite a 10.4" reduction in overall length. You almost have to be a 90 lb contortionist to get in/out of the back of 59/60 coupe easily.

There's no question that space was used far more efficiently as the years went by. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 14, 2023, 03:17:14 AMUS cars have in general a poor space utilization. All is in the look, how to "load" people is a second thought.

Yes, like I said in my earlier post when I drew an analogy between house design and these cars. It does appear that space utilization was of a secondary consideration as Roger pointed out. Getting in and out of the back seat of some of these cars is brutal. Clay/Lexi

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The 79's may have enough room for dancing, but my 76 CdV has enough space for the orchestra in the bck seat
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

I read that the downsized 79 Eldo had MORE interior
room than the 78.  They must have started with that
goal, and designed the rest of the car around it. 
Then the thing that can really vary a lot, is trunk
space. 

Perhaps the first "car" was a couple rails with wheels
bolted underneath and an engine on top.  But I could
never understand why it took so many decades for the
body to be widened out to the same as the fenders. 

The other major impact was when the front axle
moved from under the radiator, to under the engine. 
Probably related to independant front suspension. 
But maybe that had more to do with handling, than
interior space.  Bruce Roe

tluke

This mid '50s had lots of space in the back. I had a '55 60 series and not only was the seat tall but the kids could set in the back and stick their legs out and not reach the back of the front seat. My current 75 series of course has even more space before folding out the jump seats. The back floor will sleep an adult comfortably.
To this day I remember my love affair with Cadillac began while visiting friends in Idaho who owned a 4 door 55 Caddy. I remember our whole family of 5 sitting in the back seat going down the 2-lane highway. I was just 5 and was standing up on the floor in the back. It was the first car I had ever seen with electric windows. The whole trip I was just focused on pushing that switch to make the window go down but my mom made it clear I was not to touch it. It was probably 15 yrs later before I finally got to push my first window switch.
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250