News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

3" 10 Ohm Speakers - New Source?

Started by Varooom, January 15, 2023, 07:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

I have a friend in the industry who knows a few of those folks.  Nice photos!  Thanks for sharing!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on January 19, 2023, 01:43:02 PMI have a friend in the industry who knows a few of those folks.  Nice photos!  Thanks for sharing!

Terrific, tell them I said "hi", and "no".
*Steven, Joe, hang a lip with me. And Per? Tell them how we really feel...
Edited, I took Per's pic out. The majority of people here, just wouldn't understand. LOL!
*This was on the set of the "Amazing" video, I was head of security, not head of guitars.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

joliet

Could it be said there are 2 types of speakers in the world: Delco & all others-?
Go to Ebay & look up auction# 175575781885. It isn't real cheap, but it's a 10 OHM nos in the box.It says it's for Olds but would fit my '73 Buick & should fit Cads,auction ends in THREE DAYS; no bidders yet. Good luck!

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: joliet on January 20, 2023, 02:14:38 PMCould it be said there are 2 types of speakers in the world: Delco & all others-?
Go to Ebay & look up auction# 175575781885. It isn't real cheap, but it's a 10 OHM nos in the box.It says it's for Olds but would fit my '73 Buick & should fit Cads,auction ends in THREE DAYS; no bidders yet. Good luck!

Ohm's Law is Ohm's Law. Those "10 ohm" speakers will meter anywhere between 8 and 9.5
"2 types of speakers in the world: Delco & all others -?"
You're kidding, right? For car stereo its JL or Polk if you're doing a real system. JBL makes the best car speakers
for high power requirements.

Clair Brothers owns the WORLD with live sound, they build all of their flying array systems in house and load them with EV, EAW or JBL speakers depending on the artist and primarily use JBL drivers. I counted 18 (eighteen) C12 boxes flying with the power amps flying with them - on each side at the Ghost show in PVD. That's over 5,440wts, per speaker cabinet. Almost 196,000 combined watts at just over 5,000dB if the FOH has both feet on the gas. More than enough to peel the paint on the other side of the arena, in the bathrooms in the concessions area, with clarity and fidelity. Those are speakers...  ;) Check out the freq responses... And that's why speakers stated ohms won't match on a meter, the drivers/voice coils will kick the speakers, hard. Speakers need to be able to absorb that or they blow and bad things happen. https://www.clairbrothers.com/products/line-arrays/c12

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

J. Gomez

I try to avoid these type of discussions to avoid any type of confrontation and are not related to the club forum viewpoints, so I'll brake my own personal rule here.

First able I'm not going to disparaged anyone on the comments above, just providing a technical feedback on the main topic. I've been working on electronics for most of my adult life from vacuum tubes/semiconductor and digital equipment components.

Traditional older speaker are rated in ohms these rating are related to the impedance of the voice coil (inductor) when AC signal is applied (in this case sound Hz) versus the traditional "resistor" (also in ohms), both react similar to the flow of electrons but the reaction is different since they are used in different applications.

Measuring a speaker with a normal VTVM/digital voltmeter, etc. will "NOT" show the exact resistance listed on the speaker (since you are applying DC from the meter), since the speaker is consider an inductor this would require the appropriate AC test equipment to measure it.

Impedance matching is a critical point to match the source with the load, a mismatch would cause multiple problems specially dealing with amplifier circuits.

Since the main question on this topic is the 10ohm speaker for the '67 going to a lower impedance speaker e.g. 8ohm will not be an issue "IF" and only if the power (volume level) is not cranked to the max to over drive the radio output and/or the speakers. It is possible that even at a mid-range setting on the volume the amplifier could get overwhelm, not to mention the distortion is you are driving two different speakers front and rear.

Since we are just talking a low power output radio you can add a higher speaker rating in this case you will lose a bit of the sound quality if the volume is max, but the amplifier would be happier.   

If I recall correctly the '67 Cadillac radios use the power output transistors DS501 and these are extremely hard to find and very $$$, so you need to safeguard them.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cape Cod Fleetwood

"Traditional older speaker are rated in ohms these rating are related to the impedance of the voice coil (inductor) when AC signal is applied (in this case sound Hz) versus the traditional "resistor" (also in ohms), both react similar to the flow of electrons but the reaction is different since they are used in different applications."

I mentioned that on the first page of this thread, the rating of the coil vs the speaker, and the coil can be measured with a standard voltmeter, that is the ohm load the speaker can't exceed. That gap between the reading of the coil and the speaker is the room necessary for freq x volume so you don't blow the cone as you know.

"Measuring a speaker with a normal VTVM/digital voltmeter, etc. will "NOT" show the exact resistance listed on the speaker (since you are applying DC from the meter), since the speaker is consider an inductor this would require the appropriate AC test equipment to measure it."

In the live concert/stage sound world, it works just fine. As long as the coil doesn't exceed the speaker.

"Impedance matching is a critical point to match the source with the load, a mismatch would cause multiple problems specially dealing with amplifier circuits."

Absolutely. Ask any guitar player who drove 1-4x12 Marshall cabinet with his 100wt Plexi at 4 ohms....

"Since the main question on this topic is the 10ohm speaker for the '67 going to a lower impedance speaker e.g. 8ohm will not be an issue "IF" and only if the power (volume level) is not cranked to the max to over drive the radio output and/or the speakers. It is possible that even at a mid-range setting on the volume the amplifier could get overwhelm, not to mention the distortion is you are driving two different speakers front and rear.
Since we are just talking a low power output radio you can add a higher speaker rating in this case you will lose a bit of the sound quality if the volume is max, but the amplifier would be happier."

This is a max 40wt output system, replacement speakers (8 or 10ohm) are usually only 60wt, that's a third of resistance for head room, more than enough. I can speak to the '70, there are 4 different outs on the head for the 4 speakers. Even if these heads went to 11 like Nigel's, they will sound like an army rolling Saran Wrap with their hands at about the half way point in volume, no one is cranking these systems, they sound hideous. Installing a speaker with a higher watt rating will make a hideous system sound even worse. Hotter speakers are a 'thing' primarily in the live sound arena. EV loadspeakers in 4x12 guitar cabinets vs JBL speakers, Sidewinders, etc. Sidewinders are 35wt believe it or not, its why they sound best when pushed with a 100wt Marshall (or Mesa) with 6550 tubes. When we'd change to EV loudspeakers in the cabinets, the amps were happier with a 6L6 tube after a proper scoping. 

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

joliet

Looks like the discussion has taken a major different direction & has completely abandoned the original topic, which was: many people's quest to find just simply a 3.5" 10 OHM speaker that would exactly (or very closely) match the one that originally came on their car. They may not be necessarily seeking something that would send the ROOF flying off of a stadium; some may just want to listen to the news, or classical music.
The speaker I mentioned on Ebay is still there if anyone still would like that type of NOS Delco speaker unit, that's all.
My wife is a senior electronics engineer, but I leave all of that jargonistic stuff to her.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: joliet on January 22, 2023, 03:58:49 PMLooks like the discussion has taken a major different direction & has completely abandoned the original topic, which was: many people's quest to find just simply a 3.5" 10 OHM speaker that would exactly (or very closely) match the one that originally came on their car.

And I answered it in response #3

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

2manycars

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on January 23, 2023, 10:39:28 AMAnd I answered it in response #3
The OP also answered it.

Laurie, I am guessing that you probably know who Ken Fischer was, and about the Trainwreck amps he hand built. Ken lived across town from me and was a neighbor of one of my HS classmates. He and my music teacher were very close friends. Wish I could have known him. I could have learned plenty.

EDIT: I will add here.... DO NOT run 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers on a 60s - 70s Delco radio. You WILL, in time destroy the output transistor(s). It will probably sound bad too, right up until it burns out.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Varooom

Hey - my new 10 ohm speakers were delivered today from SM Electrotech & they fit perfectly but this is getting good! 🍿🍿🍿
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

2manycars

Quote from: Varooom on January 23, 2023, 08:07:28 PMHey - my new 10 ohm speakers were delivered today from SM Electrotech & they fit perfectly but this is getting good! 🍿🍿🍿
Got your radio back in business then? How is it?
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

Varooom

Quote from: 2manycars on January 24, 2023, 01:58:22 AMGot your radio back in business then? How is it?

Well, thanks for asking.  Truth be told, it is being serviced by my old-car mechanic and I have yet to hear it.  I have added a RediRad which will let me connect my iPhone and stream Apple music so I can listen to whatever I desire while I cruise around Houston and the great state of Texas.  My car is not a correct resto but a dark blue driver with a wonderfully throaty set of dual exhausts the previous owner installed.  I look forward to hitting the road with a few much needed improvements including a proper soundtrack!
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

2manycars

Quote from: Varooom on January 24, 2023, 09:35:35 AMWell, thanks for asking.  Truth be told, it is being serviced by my old-car mechanic and I have yet to hear it.  I have added a RediRad which will let me connect my iPhone and stream Apple music so I can listen to whatever I desire while I cruise around Houston and the great state of Texas.  My car is not a correct resto but a dark blue driver with a wonderfully throaty set of dual exhausts the previous owner installed.  I look forward to hitting the road with a few much needed improvements including a proper soundtrack!
Sounds good to me! I bought a similar device for my Corvette so that I can listen to Sirius XM via my iphone. You must have the factory stereo radio in your car, judging from the speakers. That thing is a massive beast, probably on two chassis.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One: