News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

trunk switch on 1976-1979 seville

Started by 79 seville, January 21, 2023, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79 seville

Hello,  I am wondering if you can use a 1980-1985 trunk pulldown switch for my 1979 seville.  The original part is pretty much non-existent.  Mine has the motor separate from the switch.  If anyone knows of a different switch that works, I am open to that idea also.  thanks

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1980s style switch can't be used. There's a good chance the '79 Seville trunk switch is likely the same as on 77-79 DeVille/Brougham which also has pulldown motor located on the passenger side of the trunk.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

79 seville

Seville Life

The switches are different. The '76/'79 pull down unit that the trunk latches to, as you say is separate from the motor unit behind the tight tail lamp unit.

These switches (black plastic) are alarmingly delicate and die of old age and of course trunk lids slammed down to harshly?

You can get them from Cadillac Kingdom in California described as refurbished? I've not bought from these people and so cannot vouch for them.

I don't want to open a can-of-worms here but a big Seville-friend of mine told me he'd altered where the pull-down unit goes and had successfully fitted the later type. It was a big job. Paul
Paul Bedford

79 seville

Thanks Paul.  You are right on the delicate part of the plastic.  I to have heard of someone making other switches work.  Probably go with a no pull down trunk latch.  $4-600 for an old used switch is just too much.  Thanks Steve

79 Eldorado

Steve,
It sounds like the Seville part is similar to the 79 Eldorado part. I started to look at replicating the switch/relay, not sure which is the official name, at the trunk latch but I lost my shattered part. Bruce Roe sent me his entire assembly but his switch was cracked as well. His was missing one of the "exotic" copper contacts. I say "exotic" because the switch has copper contact paths which connect various positions depending on the switch position. If I had that one missing contact I could likely create a replacement. I haven't had time to work on it anyway but missing that contact has kept it on the "back burner".

I do know there is a semi-tubular rivet which holds the switch "button" from coming off under spring pressure. The location of that semi tubular rivet, upon first inspection, made me wonder how they were able to do that even in production but I would need to take a look again.

One other comment: When I bought my car the pull down was not working. I quickly realized the barrel fuse in the power line going to the motor was blown. I replaced the fuse and the motor worked. When I closed the trunk the switch actuated, started the motor, and promptly destroyed the switch in the process. So my point is be really careful if you do find a replacement. There's a chance the issue was my switch but I can say the switch did not appear to be damaged/cracked before I replaced the fuse. Once the trunk pulled down the switch was obliterated.

The option is cool to see but to me it was a solution without a problem. You had to at least lower the trunk lid anyway so what was the point? I simply disconnected the drive cable, adjusted the height of the latch using a cordless drill, connected the drive cable, put the blown fuse back in and my latch is now permanently at the correct position.

If you have all of the copper contacts I would certainly like to see a photo of them. I couldn't easily figure out what the missing one should look like. The system seems simple but somehow it needs to know , after you pop the trunk, to NOT pull it down while it is seemingly in the same position as it is when you are closing and it SHOULD pull down.

Scott

bcroe

Quote from: 79 EldoradoBruce Roe sent me his entire assembly but his switch was cracked as well.

One other comment: When I bought my car the pull down was not working.

The option is cool to see but to me it was a solution without a problem. You had to at least lower the trunk lid anyway so what was the point?
Scott 

My thoughts as well.  I could send the system
from my 79 Eldo to Scott, because it was replaced
with this.  Bruce Roe