News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Older cars in movies

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, December 28, 2022, 10:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I had never watched "Flamingo Road" before, mainly because Ms. Crawford is not one of my favorite actors, but I decided to finally do so. I was pleased to note that one of the feminine leads drove a 1946/7 Ford Sportsman convertible, and the second lead male drove a 1941 Roadmaster four door convertible with the top down. (Yes, I counted the louvers.)

In his first movie, David Brian drove a 1949/51 Lincoln Cosmo convertible. And Sidney Greenstreet was driven around in a 1940 Special/Century. (I didn't get close enough to tell which was which.) Since no pictures are allowed of "off-brand" vehicles, you'll
have to use your imagination.

There was a quick shot of the parking lot of the country club of a Cadillac limo that was too short to catch which year/model it was.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

signart

Yeah, I love watching the old movies, seems like they like to shoot film with the main characters in convertibles much of the time. Even '70's movies only hold any interest for me because of the '50's, '60's and '70's cars going up and down the street and parking lots full of cars that are so desirable today.   
Art D. Woody

Jay Friedman

What I find amusing about old cars in many movies is that all cars shown are in beautiful condition. I assume the film makers get the cars from local regional groups like ours and select the best. 

An exception was "The Sting" whose action was during the depression in the 1930s.  The cars shown parked on a street in the opening scene looked like they belonged in a junk yard.

Another exception was when my own '49 Club Coupe was used in several scenes in "Driving Miss Daisy", which was filmed in my neighborhood in Atlanta.  At the time my car was in good but not perfect condition. I remember the "transportation captain", the guy in charge of rounding up the cars for the film, told us car owners that he didn't want "perfect" cars, so as to make things more realistic.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

cadillacmike68

the Dirty Harry films have lots of Cadillacs in them. Likewise, Columbo, many of which are feature length have more than their share of Cadillacs and lots of other high end cars as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Kevin Bielinski #13320

Quote from: Jay Friedman on December 28, 2022, 05:49:25 PMWhat I find amusing about old cars in many movies is that all cars shown are in beautiful condition. I assume the film makers get the cars from local regional groups like ours and select the best. 

An exception was "The Sting" whose action was during the depression in the 1930s.  The cars shown parked on a street in the opening scene looked like they belonged in a junk yard.

Another exception was when my own '49 Club Coupe was used in several scenes in "Driving Miss Daisy", which was filmed in my neighborhood in Atlanta.  At the time my car was in good but not perfect condition. I remember the "transportation captain", the guy in charge of rounding up the cars for the film, told us car owners that he didn't want "perfect" cars, so as to make things more realistic.

I was in the TV and movie business a long time. Even got my SAG card and a few principle roles. Used a few of my cars in various TV shows and movies. The cars look nice on camera but what you see on set can be a different story. I can tell you stories of cars that were damaged on set. The worse was an original interior that was torn apart by a PA's tool belt and an A lister who was burning rubber just for fun. My advice to anyone is to use a car that won't bother you much if its nicked or dinged. I did " 54" with Mike Myers back in the late '90's. They came close to burning the pain off my car with a gas heater. Most of my friends in the business back home have specific cars for the business. I agree 100% with that. They'll never see my '76 Series 75 Sedan and have tried a few times. Ive turned down the mayor of Las Vegas for that one. I'm a car guy first and was an actor second. The ones on the production crew have a hard time understanding that.
CLC Western Regions Vice President
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
2001 Lincoln Krystal Hearse

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis
1983 Buick LeSabre Limited

Lexi

Kevin makes a lot of sense. Have heard a number of horror stories from buddies some of whom routinely use their cars in movie shoots. Seems to be a very hit and miss thing. I also once had to move a lot of cars to and from a shoot and around the compound where they were parked for storage. A lot of them did not look so good up close as Kevin said. Some didn't even have engines in them as used only for parked scenes in a shoot. Fair enough, they are just window dressing.

Aside from damage which does occur on occasion, the most disturbing thing to me was that the production people did not even obtain proof of ownership prior to car rental. I know of occasions where a crooked vintage car dealer was leasing out customer's classic Caddies while posing as the owner. Sometimes the owners knew about the rental at one point or another, other times they did not. Owners saw little or no money for these shoots, but on occasion their classic car was returned with damage. Pox on the production crew for not checking on ownership prior to rental of valuable private property.

Almost never will you see end title credits noting the owners or car clubs that assisted in the production, (just transportation Captain), but they will often mention who the operator of the "Honey Wagon" was. That's the crapper for those who don't know. Rather shows in the greater scheme of things just where classic car owners are in the production of some films. Clay/Lexi

Kevin Bielinski #13320

Quote from: Lexi on January 06, 2023, 06:07:43 PMKevin makes a lot of sense. Have heard a number of horror stories from buddies some of whom routinely use their cars in movie shoots. Seems to be a very hit and miss thing. I also once had to move a lot of cars to and from a shoot and around the compound where they were parked for storage. A lot of them did not look so good up close as Kevin said. Some didn't even have engines in them as used only for parked scenes in a shoot. Fair enough, they are just window dressing.

Aside from damage which does occur on occasion, the most disturbing thing to me was that the production people did not even obtain proof of ownership prior to car rental. I know of occasions where a crooked vintage car dealer was leasing out customer's classic Caddies while posing as the owner. Sometimes the owners knew about the rental at one point or another, other times they did not. Owners saw little or no money for these shoots, but on occasion their classic car was returned with damage. Pox on the production crew for not checking on ownership prior to rental of valuable private property.

Almost never will you see end title credits noting the owners or car clubs that assisted in the production, (just transportation Captain), but they will often mention who the operator of the "Honey Wagon" was. That's the crapper for those who don't know. Rather shows in the greater scheme of things just where classic car owners are in the production of some films. Clay/Lexi

You hit the nail on the head. I was there. I know. Some productions will ask to see the vehicles insurance card. I always said, "If I show you mine will you show me yours?" Once I became SAG though, the money got far better. I did just about every episode of "The Americans" Season 1 with my '70 and never complained about the payday. That crew was an exception to the rule. Everyone was so nice to us and really admired the cars. They always had a few PA's watchung them if we were shooting interiors that day as well. I really miss that business but things changed. It was never like " going to work" when I got booked. Granted, 1/2 the time I was only there because of my car......but still. It was a blast
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car

TJ Hopland

I think it depends on the scale and budget the movie or tv show is working on.   There are companies around the world that specialize in cars.  As long as you have the money and possibly some time I think you can get pretty much anything you want.       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Artistic Precision

Eddie Murphy drives a LaS in Harlem Nights

jwwseville60

Watch the old Hawaii-5-0. (1968-1979).
Plenty of Caddies and vintage cars going fast!
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Smoothscoop

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on January 05, 2023, 11:40:11 PMthe Dirty Harry films have lots of Cadillacs in them. Likewise, Columbo, many of which are feature length have more than their share of Cadillacs and lots of other high end cars as well.

I was going to say the same. Part of the reason I like Dirty Harry movies. Never thought about it with Columbo. May have to revisit.

TMoore - NTCLC

Quote from: Kevin Bielinski #13320 on January 06, 2023, 07:45:59 PMYou hit the nail on the head. I was there. I know. Some productions will ask to see the vehicles insurance card. I always said, "If I show you mine will you show me yours?" Once I became SAG though, the money got far better. I did just about every episode of "The Americans" Season 1 with my '70 and never complained about the payday. That crew was an exception to the rule. Everyone was so nice to us and really admired the cars. They always had a few PA's watchung them if we were shooting interiors that day as well. I really miss that business but things changed. It was never like " going to work" when I got booked. Granted, 1/2 the time I was only there because of my car......but still. It was a blast

I thought the prop people on "The Americans" did a fantastic job - with few exceptions, the cars were appropriate for the era, and they were able to find a few rough looking vehicles that accurately depicted what would have been on the roads during the period.  The brand new Delta 88 (1977?) that was used was a beautiful and correct car (sans the disappearing/re-appearing hood ornament)

The Tassie Devil(le)

I always have to have a good chuckle when I see cars in movies, especially the 50's, to '70's movies, where all the cars being driven in the backgrounds are perfect, not a dent, faded paint, and when there are city scenes, the same cars are being driven around the block, without the Directors even trying to shuffle them up.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

6B0F8839-9A86-43C7-A3B7-A7DB7CC5E969.jpeg Barney FifeNot a valid attachment ID. Ticketing a 61 Limo
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Kevin Bielinski #13320

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLC on January 10, 2023, 11:52:41 AMI thought the prop people on "The Americans" did a fantastic job - with few exceptions, the cars were appropriate for the era, and they were able to find a few rough looking vehicles that accurately depicted what would have been on the roads during the period.  The brand new Delta 88 (1977?) that was used was a beautiful and correct car (sans the disappearing/re-appearing hood ornament)

That was Sylvia Fay Casting who handled the cars for "The Americans" I know the guy who owned a lot of those "rough cars". He lived in Crown Heights, Brooklyn and owned about 30 cars. His dad purchased a burned out lot back in the day just to park cars. Land was cheap then. I still hear from some of the guys I worked with on that series
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I live in the UK and was contacted by the people producing the film Telstar (I don't know if it got a US release?). They wanted my wife's 59 British Ford Zodiac plus 3 of our motorcycles. When I asked them how much they were paying they told me nothing, zero but our vehicles and possibly us would be in the film. Strangely I declined the offer🤣. I used my Cadillac once in a TV show over here, never again.
As for seeing old Cadillacs in films I just watch lots of film noirs, you usually see a few.

Kevin Bielinski #13320

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on January 12, 2023, 12:59:31 AMI live in the UK and was contacted by the people producing the film Telstar (I don't know if it got a US release?). They wanted my wife's 59 British Ford Zodiac plus 3 of our motorcycles. When I asked them how much they were paying they told me nothing, zero but our vehicles and possibly us would be in the film. Strangely I declined the offer🤣. I used my Cadillac once in a TV show over here, never again.
As for seeing old Cadillacs in films I just watch lots of film noirs, you usually see a few.
I believe it. I had a lot of producers throw " words" at me to make me feel important and then said " no thanks" when they said they couldn't pay me. Told the I'm not into fame or glory. I'm into money. Walked away and said " Goodbye!"
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: Kevin Bielinski #13320 on January 13, 2023, 04:19:52 AMI believe it. I had a lot of producers throw " words" at me to make me feel important and then said " no thanks" when they said they couldn't pay me. Told the I'm not into fame or glory. I'm into money. Walked away and said " Goodbye!"
They're getting paid to not pay us! No money, no show as far as I'm concerned.

Kevin Bielinski #13320

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on January 23, 2023, 05:51:00 PMThey're getting paid to not pay us! No money, no show as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed!
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala