News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1951 series 62 brake shoes

Started by Davidcamper, January 23, 2023, 06:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidcamper

I have run into a problem. It seems the 1951 series 62 has unique brake shoes and are impossible to find if my research is correct.Anyone own a 1951 that can verify if 1950 shoes will fit? I have a set of 1950 from caddydaddy on the way but my fear is they will not fit. I will know soon.

I do know that all the parts houses has 419s listed for 1951 and they certainly do not fit as they are 12" shoes and my 51 is 11-2 1/2".

Any info would be appreciated.

Thnx,
David

Jay Friedman

According to my 1935-55 parts manual, 1950 and 51 have the same is 11-2 1/2" brake shoes front and rear.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dave Ventresca

I just did a brake job on a 51 fleetwood. had to take shoes to NAPA to be relined. nothing available from parts houses. Dave

Jay Friedman

Ultimately, having the shoes relined is frequently the easiest solution. 

However, here in Atlanta the last time I did my brakes the only shop I could find to do that was a firm that supplied relined shoes for large trucks.  They relined my original '49 shoes and arced the shoes to my drums. So far, so good, but then when I installed everything it took a lot more pedal pressure to stop the car than before. It turned out that the lining they used had less friction if that's the right word.  It was suitable on large heavy trucks, but not on a much lighter '49 Cad. In the end, I bought on ebay for a reasonable cost a set of shoes that I suspect were made in China, but was pleased to find they stop my '49 perfectly with normal pedal pressure. 

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dave Shepherd

White Post Restorations in VA. I think, have done relines for me that worked well.  Give them a call.

Davidcamper

Thanks everyone. All so helpful. Yes, the book says 50 and 51 are the same but...... I'm being told they are not. I'm hearing in 1951 Cadillac changed something on the crescent shape at the top of the shoe in order to make the self adjuster work better.... It didn't work well in the real world so in 52 cadillac changed the shape back but went to 12" shoes from 11".

I will see very soon as caddy daddy is sending me a set of 1950s that's in the mail.

If it doesn't work I will look into the re-lining. I'm going to check with White Post as Dave mentions.

Keep you posted.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Davidcamper on January 24, 2023, 06:16:16 PMI'm hearing in 1951 Cadillac changed something on the crescent shape at the top of the shoe in order to make the self adjuster work better....
Self adjuster on a 1951 car? I believe it came in 1961 on Cadillac cars...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Self adjusting brakes with Cadillac came mainstream in 1960.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Jay, poses an interesting question, what is the correct lining(friction) material for this era? 
There's bonded and rivets shoes, so what are these? 
I was involved in a project to relocate brake resin production and it's a witches brew type operation.  I doubt anyone can resolve this without a Wagner, Raybestos, or other manufacturer know-how/documents.
There's a few reliners out there, maybe pays to calls around and ask what lining they use?   Rather than take what one can get.
I know the long life ceramics don't work well on the vehicles not designed for it.  They sold me some once and I had to replace ASAP.  They get to/operate at higher temperatures.   

Davidcamper

I suspect I'm using the wrong terminology. Self adjusters may not be what I'm attempting to describe. Here is what my book states "The braking system on 1951 Cadillac cars is basically the same as that used on 1950 Cadillac cars with the exception of changes in the stoplight switch and in the backing plates on certain models". When I compare the shoes on 50 and 51 the crescent shape at the top is different.