News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mandated efficiencies of EV's

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, January 22, 2023, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just a bit of trivia for those that think the constant calls for greater and greater mileage will stop with the predominance of EV's, there are some well placed discussions going on regarding Government mandated Miles per Watt/Hour standards according to the SAE newsletters.
It goes on and on. Enjoy the ride
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

smokuspollutus

Once gasoline vehicles are successfully relegated to a "fine art" and the bulk of the U.S. fleet is electrically powered with no other viable alternative for the average person, the regulations will begin. A "crisis" will probably spur (re)action, just like it always does.

If it moves, tax it, if it stops moving, subsidize it.

fishnjim

That's what happens when the proposed panacea is not a panacea like most panaceas.   
We can't even power up our houses now in the winter without black outs, how are more EVs going to help?  And it's not even mostly solar yet?  Wait til the sun don't shine for a week at the solar farm...
Someone's smoking something and the people are the ones getting covered in smoke.
The "rules" don't permit me to tell the rest of the story...

Lexi

One thing is certain, nothing remains the same and for those who think EV is a panacea, think again. Evolution will dictate that it will foster it's own problems, with owners being less able to address those issues. With AI technology and the thrust to abolish anything perceived as enviromentally detrimental (while our enemies pollute with impunity); I believe that a person's mobility & ownership rights will be challenged. The cost of building & maintaining EVs (& the depletion of natural resources related to their manufacture) is a wild card at this point. This will further impact culture change and how the automobile will be viewed, which in turn will impact how future generations regard them including our vintage Cadillacs. Following WWII the use of a personal car was an extension of one's mobility & ownership rights, but that will change. So enjoy your vintage Caddies as long as you can. Someday the public will have to visit a museum to see what remains of them. Clay/Lexi

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Without being political 🤣, our government (United Kingdom)recently announced that they will be taxing EV's at the same rate as gasoline and diesel vehicles from 2025. Strangely EV sales have tapered off since that announcement. Oh dear, what a shame 🤣🤣

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

The film Planet of the Humans gives a good incite into the "green energy" debacle. Free to watch on YouTube. People may be surprised to see who the producer of the film is.

The point I was trying to make was "Don't despair, there will ALWAYS be something for us to gripe about".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

So just as a bit of comfort, below is an excerp from the SAE newsletter I just received

Despite an intention to move to all-electric engines for consumer vehicles by 2035, General Motors plans to inject $918 million into four plants that are producing primarily V-8, gas-powered engines in Michigan, Ohio and New York. The move to keep gas-powered SUVs and full-size pickups in production suggests United Auto Workers members "will remain a vital part of GM's future," UAW President Ray Curry says.
 (1/20) 

Now for those who might be a bit confused, consider yourselves quite a majority
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I heard a podcast yesterday https://youtu.be/2tA4mct5CB8 where it was claimed that the state of Wyoming is or has banned the sale of EV's. Is this correct?

scotth3886

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on January 23, 2023, 02:20:33 PMSo just as a bit of comfort, below is an excerp from the SAE newsletter I just received

Despite an intention to move to all-electric engines for consumer vehicles by 2035, General Motors plans to inject $918 million into four plants that are producing primarily V-8, gas-powered engines in Michigan, Ohio and New York. The move to keep gas-powered SUVs and full-size pickups in production suggests United Auto Workers members "will remain a vital part of GM's future," UAW President Ray Curry says.
 (1/20) 

Now for those who might be a bit confused, consider yourselves quite a majority
Greg Surfas

I think they're learning that for folks who buy a big pickup or SUV for towing, EV presently isn't the answer.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I paid to have recycling along with my trash at home-- Like many people. It cost more, and I spent time separating my trash because I thought it was the right thing to do.  That was until 2 weeks in a row I saw them throw the recycling in the same truck as the trash- Then I cancelled.

People are buying EV's because it is the popular thing to do. I have a feeling that in a few years we MAY realize that while we are trying here, places like China, India, etc aren't doing the same and EV's aren't really making a difference. That, combined with problems recycling the batteries, and what we do to the Earth to mine the stuff, May make EV's less attractive.

Time will tell.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

The BIG problem is going to be in 20 years time, when people that want, or need to buy a cheap car will not be able to.

Or, if they do buy a cheap car, they won't be able to afford to replace the battery, let alone pay the recycling fee.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

See Always something to gripe about
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, even my "New" cars are at least 10 years old.   My first car was just under 30 years old.

I have purchased thousands of new cars, but those were work orders, oh, and it wasn't my money.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 23, 2023, 08:04:57 PMThe BIG problem is going to be in 20 years time, when people that want, or need to buy a cheap car will not be able to.

Or, if they do buy a cheap car, they won't be able to afford to replace the battery, let alone pay the recycling fee.

Agreed. It will be hard for a high school or college kid to have a junk car. Mine were pieces of junk-- Because I couldn't afford anything better. I wonder what the "poor" kids will do then.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

jwwseville60

A lot of people under 30 dont even like cars.
Some kids that do will piece them together from junked electric cars.
It'll be cheaper to do so in 20 years.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC