News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum Antennas

Started by PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192, January 23, 2023, 04:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

The attached photo shows 2 vacuum antennas, the taller, complete one is from a 1951 and the shorter one with the "mast" missing is from my 1954.I was wanting to know if the masts were the same through the years even though the housings are different lengths. My parts book is buried but I will try to dig it out and check part numbers. I'm wanting to reproduce the mast so I'm wanting to know over what years the moving parts are common to each other. Phil20230123_180704.jpg

Jay Friedman

According to my 1935-55 parts manual the 51 and 54 masts (called the "rod" by Cadillac) are different.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Jay.
Now I need to ask if anyone on this forum knows if the difference is just the length?
Phil

fishnjim

Unless you can't tell by your own observation of what you have.   Supposedly the CLC museum has some/all of the GM drawings, so I'd contact them and ask.   
Part numbers don't tell much, except if different, and different has as many meanings as possible combinations.  Most of the antenna guys are not doing work that far back(vacuum) anymore but they might know.  Other's may have fought this struggle too. 
I don't think having a repro mast will enhance the value of your '54 much, so is it worth the bother?   I'd be looking for a used '54 antenna.  Probably end up costing about the same.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Mine is
Quote from: fishnjim on January 24, 2023, 11:11:15 AMUnless you can't tell by your own observation of what you have.   Supposedly the CLC museum has some/all of the GM drawings, so I'd contact them and ask.   
Part numbers don't tell much, except if different, and different has as many meanings as possible combinations.  Most of the antenna guys are not doing work that far back(vacuum) anymore but they might know.  Other's may have fought this struggle too. 
I don't think having a repro mast will enhance the value of your '54 much, so is it worth the bother?   I'd be looking for a used '54 antenna.  Probably end up costing about the same.
Mine is missing the original "rod" it has a 3 piece replacement. I've owned my car since 1989 and have not found a complete one for sale apart from one NOS one I missed in the Self Starter a couple of years back. If you know of one I can buy please tell me.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: fishnjim on January 24, 2023, 11:11:15 AMUnless you can't tell by your own observation of what you have.   Supposedly the CLC museum has some/all of the GM drawings, so I'd contact them and ask.   
Thanks for the tip re the museum.

tluke

So I purchased an antenna for my '55 a while back that wasn't exactly the same but looked like it was. It needed the piston to be refurbished to make it work. The dimensions were off by about an inch in length. The mast was therefore longer. Also, the mast on the '55 can be removed while it's still in the car by pushing it down and unscrewing it because the threads are inside the bottom of the mast that a protruding screw on the piston screws into ('S" in the diagram). And the piston has notches on the bottom that keep it from turning when pressed down. The one I purchased had threads sticking out of the bottom of the mast that screw into the piston which has no notches so the whole antenna assembly had to be removed to get the mast out. I put the longer mast into my original assembly (cylinder) and got it to work but it was too long so it sticks up higher than it should when totally retracted and it was a bit tricky getting it installed in the car because the extra inch was just enough to make it a difficult fit. I'm still looking for the correct mast but after almost 3 years of looking I've never found one except in a totally refurbished on at about $1,200. Good luck!
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: tluke on January 26, 2023, 07:15:30 PMSo I purchased an antenna for my '55 a while back that wasn't exactly the same but looked like it was. It needed the piston to be refurbished to make it work. The dimensions were off by about an inch in length. The mast was therefore longer. Also, the mast on the '55 can be removed while it's still in the car by pushing it down and unscrewing it because the threads are inside the bottom of the mast that a protruding screw on the piston screws into ('S" in the diagram). And the piston has notches on the bottom that keep it from turning when pressed down. The one I purchased had threads sticking out of the bottom of the mast that screw into the piston which has no notches so the whole antenna assembly had to be removed to get the mast out. I put the longer mast into my original assembly (cylinder) and got it to work but it was too long so it sticks up higher than it should when totally retracted and it was a bit tricky getting it installed in the car because the extra inch was just enough to make it a difficult fit. I'm still looking for the correct mast but after almost 3 years of looking I've never found one except in a totally refurbished on at about $1,200. Good luck!

Thanks, similar to mine, it has a 3 piece mast. I repaired the vacuum piston and the assembly works. I'm looking to reproduce the masts so a complete one in any condition would do, bent etc wouldn't matter.

fieldhowitzer

Sorry to post on an older topic but curious if you found a mast to reproduce or a replacement. I have one this is very mildly bent but straightened, and the slight warpage is causing the antenna to hang up in that spot.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi,
With Timo (another member of this forum) we are doing prototypes of a rebuild kit for these.
Phil

fieldhowitzer

When would they be available and any estimate on price?

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

They're still at prototype stage. We obviously want to keep the price affordable. Watch this space!